Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
  1. Default Recommendations 9'6 5wt

Hi, I am after some recommendations for a 9'6" 5 weight fly rod. The main use with be for dry-dropper style fishing in mid size rivers and moderate winds.

I already have a range of rods (mainly #3 and #4s), including a 9' 5wt but that rod is a bit on the soft/slow side and I want something with a slightly longer reach and moderate to fast action.

A 10ft #5 is not out of the question and I may go down that route if I cant find a suitable 9'6" option.

Price wise - mid range but certainly not the top of the line Sage, Hardy or Orvis.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks
    J

Default Re: Recommendations 9'6 5wt

My goto is a 9'6 5wt Sage X. I can tell you, that you are on the right path for versatility. The increase in line management and drag free drifts that extra 6" gives you is very noticeable. The ability to lift line over current seams, the extra mending ability- it all adds up. I will be curious to learn about more affordable options in this size rod.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes seattlesetters liked this post

I know the Douglas DXF ($395) is available as a 9 1/2'/#6 with a fighting butt but I've not cast one.

5. Default Re: Recommendations 9'6 5wt

I fish a lot of 9'6" and 10' rods, especially in the 5-6wt range. For 5 weights, I personally fish a 9'6" #5 Sage Pulse and a 10' 5 weight Orvis H3F. I love both, those two rods cover nearly all of my trout fishing. If you're in the mid range for price, the Pulse is the best option I am aware of in that configuration. If you go to 10', the Recon is a contender in that range as well. They don't make the Pulse in a 10' 5 weight and they don't make the Recon in a 9'6" 5 weight, so it's hard to compare them, but they are both great rods in that price range. I prefer the Pulse 9'6" for what you're looking for. They could be selling that rod for a lot more than they are charging, and yet it kind of flies under the radar in the shadow of the X. I've fished a 9'6" X that my buddy owns quite a bit, and it's simply one of the best rods I've ever used. But the Pulse certainly holds it's own for the mid-range category. Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Not a recommendation--I haven't cast or even wiggled one--but the Scott Flex is offered in that configuration. You may want to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    My goto is a 9'6 5wt Sage X. I can tell you, that you are on the right path for versatility. The increase in line management and drag free drifts that extra 6" gives you is very noticeable. The ability to lift line over current seams, the extra mending ability- it all adds up. I will be curious to learn about more affordable options in this size rod.

OP, there is a Sage One 9'6" #5 on Ebay right now that wouldn't suck. It might be had at a reasonable price.

I find myself wanting a Sage X 596 pretty bad. I feel like it would be the ultimate rod for a lot of my wade fishing away from the vehicle.

Osseus, how does that 596 cast with dries big and small?

8. Likes clouserguyky liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by steveid View Post
    OP, there is a Sage One 9'6" #5 on Ebay right now that wouldn't suck. It might be had at a reasonable price.

I find myself wanting a Sage X 596 pretty bad. I feel like it would be the ultimate rod for a lot of my wade fishing away from the vehicle.

Osseus, how does that 596 cast with dries big and small?
    Pretty freaking amazing! I also have the 591X. I would say you give up just a touch of accuracy- but the added length increases the length of your drifts. It was my goto on a recent New Zealand trip and I had little trouble dropping the fly where the guide wanted it- despite the 18' leaders.

10. Likes steveid, seattlesetters, clouserguyky liked this post

The 9 1/2 ft Sage One 5wt is a great rod especially for the wading fisherman on bigger water. When I cast a 9 1/2 ft rod I don't notice the length/weight difference that's more apparent on 10 ft rods.

12. Likes osseous, clouserguyky liked this post
  13. Default Re: Recommendations 9'6 5wt

Have been doing some more research today looking at the options recommended and came across the Redington Vice. Has anyone fished this in the 9'6" #5 configuration? Its at the lower end of the price bracket I was expecting but could still be a good option.