New Sage Rods - Starting to recycle a name...LL

steveid

Reaction score
It truly is a nice looking piece, with a nod to the past. Smart marketing move. It doesn't sound like a taper that fits in my wheelhouse, but I'll undoubtedly own one anyways...

TROUT-LL_Angle.jpg

seattlesetters

Reaction score
The Legend is reborn! Count me first in line for a new 389-4 Sage Trout LL!

Last edited:

cooutlaw

Reaction score
I'm guessing this new LL series will be VERY popular with the masses of early LL devotees.....if it's anywhere close at all to the OG, Sage will have a winner with this series.

Another read on it here:

Dry Fly Anglers Rejoice with Sage’s New TROUT LL - The Venturing Angler

I was aware it was coming but had no idea of when it would hit market...if August is accurate, I now have a new delimna.....my next acquisition was Scott GS 883.....now I will have to compare w/ Trout LL 389.

sgp

Reaction score
I’m not familiar with the original series, but I’m looking forward to hearing more about these rods once people get them in their hands.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
One of our members is over in Europe at EFFTEX and cast new LL with the new RIO true weight line...loved both and Sage is a "competitor" to him. I pushed for ALL the rods in this new brown colored series to be either 8'3" and/or 8'9" both for history and distinctiveness in Sages line-up. However, no. I sincerely expect LL to be far superior to the original (of which I have the 8'9"er for comparison) and was the rod I eluded to a couple of months ago that many of our members might need to prepare their Credit Card to have room for. I do not have nor have I even seen one though.

el jefe

Reaction score
I think the Trout LL could be a big seller for Sage. While they have always had a medium action trout rod in their lineup--the ZXL line might be one of the best trout rod lines ever, right up there with the iterations of the Scott G series--Sage's promotion of their fast rods has overshadowed their medium action rods. But putting "LL" in the name will blast these right past the faster rods in their marketing, in a way no marketing plan could.

troutbum_74

Reaction score
One of our members is over in Europe at EFFTEX and cast new LL with the new RIO true weight line...loved both and Sage is a "competitor" to him. I pushed for ALL the rods in this new brown colored series to be either 8'3" and/or 8'9" both for history and distinctiveness in Sages line-up. However, no. I sincerely expect LL to be far superior to the original (of which I have the 8'9"er for comparison) and was the rod I eluded to a couple of months ago that many of our members might need to prepare their Credit Card to have room for. I do not have nor have I even seen one though.
S&S

Any idea what lengths the 4 weights will be in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My intelligence, which is not necessarily accurate, indicates an 8 1/2' and 9'/#4 T LL. Sage still does not have an 8'/#4 which would, I think, be perfect in this new series...only Winston. LL will be a natural cross shopper to AIR/Pure and GS. An apples to apples competition among taper designers.

jeep.ster

jeepster
Reaction score
Very interesting. I've been dreaming of another moderate action sage for small streams. This may be the one. I'm hoping for a new taper that doesn't match the original LL but more full flexing like the circa.

mka

Reaction score
If it's true that this rod will throw a "true weight" fly line, this will be a winner. The legacy name LL, mahogany blank color, snub nose grip, and moderate action all sounds good.

mka

Reaction score
Very interesting. I've been dreaming of another moderate action sage for small streams. This may be the one. I'm hoping for a new taper that doesn't match the original LL but more full flexing like the circa.
Get that credit card out :)

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Most all current Sage rods, except notably SALT, favor true or close to true weight lines. Even powerful Igniter does not like being overloaded.

Since I have not so much as seen T LL, I don't know but do not anticipate full flexing like Circa. I anticipate moderate, progressive tapers with some butt reserves.

dr d

Reaction score
hi,

dart, trout ll, "task focused" and not all - around, konnetic hd on the one side and cheaper as the former series on the other,

i will hope the best...;)

nice we.

thomas

osseous

Reaction score
None for me, not with that same grip. Unfortunate that they have just decided a lighter line weight means a short, skinny grip. A man with a large hand is left to look elsewhere for a 4wt, or fish for trout with a fighting butt on his 5 or 6 wt rod.

How has tennis figured this out, while fly fishing continues to ignore it and treat it like it doesn't matter?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

troutbum_74

Reaction score
None for me, not with that same grip. Unfortunate that they have just decided a lighter line weight means a short, skinny grip. A man with a large hand is left to look elsewhere for a 4wt, or fish for trout with a fighting butt on his 5 or 6 wt rod.

How has tennis figured this out, while fly fishing continues to ignore it and treat it like it doesn't matter?

That’s why I like my grips on the Scott rods I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
Their forward swell full wells makes no sense for me- but the GS is serviceable. I believe we deserve a choice of grip for the prices these rods bring. This shorter, skinnier trend is outa control.