8' #4 vs 9' #5

hollisd

Reaction score
I'm likely going to pick up a Hardy Demon Smuggler for a dedicated travel rod.

I'm considering going with the 8' #4 to save 2 inches in travel length for the rode tube is 19.5 and 21.5 inches respectively.

I've never fished a 4 weight and am wondering given the same rod and action what's the difference fishing an 8' #4 vs a 9' #5

I get the general concept that the smaller, shorter rod will be at home on small rivers and that the longer rod will mend better and cast further plus handle wind and larger flies better but can anyone extrapolate beyond those and share from personal experience.

One thing I do like about the 9' #5 is having spare reels but the 4 weight would also make a nice travel rod and the change on the water might feel special.

Fishing will be a little bit of everything maybe a large river here or there but mostly medium to small water and flies won't be streamers beyond a woolly bugger; predominantly dries and nymphs.

osseous

Reaction score
8' is not much of a nymphing or streamer rod- you are getting down into specialized territory there. Smaller flies, less reach for mending, less mass for carrying larger or multiple flies. Yes, you can do those things- but with more effort.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
For me at least, I would split the difference and go with an 8 1/2’ 4 weight for the reasons listed above.

proheli

Reaction score
Why don’t you call Hardy and see what they think. They might have some surprising information, plus it sounds fun. Nymphing on a big river with an 804 sounds like work to me, you could just work the sides, and pocked or run outs that are close in. Actually nymphing on a medium or even small river with an 804 sounds like a little extra work, lol. I talked to Hardy once before and had a great time. I don’t know what your cell plan is like but I think you can still get international calling cards at your local gas station to call places on the cheap.

mtboiler

Reaction score
I own a half dozen St Croix Imperials. I happen to have all three types you are looking at. 8ft 4wt, 9ft 4wt and 9ft 5wt. Here is my opinion...
8ft 4wt - Most fun rod for small streams. Was for years my go to rod for anything small with little wind. After buying a 7'6" 3wt, it pretty much sits in the garage. Not great with wind. Won't throw a double nymph rig and struggles with two bigger dries.
9ft 4wt - My go to dry fly rod. Cuts medium winds. Can throw small nymphs when needed. But when fishing the flathead system, if I am dry fly fishing this is the rod. If I am hiking to high mountain lakes and might see significant wind or have to cast nymphs, this is not the right rod. If I am hiking to a smaller river and it is windy, this is the rod I carry. If I know I am only going to throw dries even with windy conditions, this is the rod I carry. If I might nymph or streamer fish, this is not the right rod.
9ft 5wt - my go to nymph rod and my go to hiking rod. This rod does everything I can ask for. Can cut wind with dries, can mend a heavier nymph rig, got distance and enough power to get me out where I need to be. I nymph fish 90% of the time and this is the rod I use the most. If I only bring one rod on a float trip, this is the rod. If I am driving across the state to a soccer game, this is the rod I carry. If I am hiking to a lake, this is the rod I carry.
Ok, Imperials are fast action stiff rods. I think the Hardy is a medium fast rod. So, you won't have as much back bone as my rods comparatively by size.
If you are dry fly fishing small streams, 8ft 4wt. If you are dry fly fishing medium or large rivers with some wind, 9ft 4wt. If you want to be 50/50 dry and nymph and just with one rod, 9ft 5wt. When I travel or hike, the 9ft 5wt is the rod I carry the most.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
I'm likely going to pick up a Hardy Demon Smuggler for a dedicated travel rod. I'm considering going with the 8' #4 to save 2 inches in travel length for the rode tube is 19.5 and 21.5 inches respectively.
If the primary reason for going with the 4 wt is because of the tube length (I know you said you will be fishing primarily medium and small rivers and may just want something different), I would think that you could fit the 5 wt into a shorter tube. It's a 6 piece rod, correct? Given that 108"/6 = 18", I would think that a +/- 20" tube would work. It certainly should fit in a tube that would lay lengthwise in a standard carry on bag. Anyway, if you aren't able to measure one in person, you might call Hardy or the shop you're considering ordering from and ask them to measure the length of the sections and/or the sock.

hollisd

Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I just purchased the 9' #5 for just over $340. Look forward to fishing the Demon Smuggler on my bicycle trip this summer.

quattro

Reaction score
I still travel with an original generation 5/6 wt smuggler 8'2" with 7 pieces. Easy to slip into a briefcase so it travels everwhere. Never know when the opportunity to throw a fly at something comes up.