Rod-wt

ratherfish

Reaction score
I have three rods - a 3wt a 6wt and an 8wt. So far I have only used the 6wt. My question is.... how do I know when to use what weight and what kind of fishing should prompt me to purchase something heavier than an 8wt?

jayr

Reaction score
Several factors come into play.

1. Size/type of fish targeted.
2. Stream/river/lake size.
3. Distance(s) of typical casts for the desired species.
4. Size of fly(s) used.
5. Weather conditions (mainly wind) typically encountered.

There are probably others, but that is a pretty basic list of determining factors.

silver creek

Reaction score
Heavier than an 8 would be Musky and Chinook Salmon for freshwater.

You could handle some saltwater fish from shore with an 8 wt. I think most saltwater fisher would want to use a 9 wt for the larger fish you can get into. You will need a good reel with a good drag.

rusty 54

Reaction score
I'll give it a try: I would take into consideration the size of the flies you want to cast, the size of the fish you expect to catch and the conditions you are fishing in. The 3 wt would be appropriate when you are casting smaller flies to smaller fish. You could cast those flies with the 6 or 8 ,but the presentation would not be as delicate as with the 3. Windy conditions, bigger water, bigger flies etc. might call for the 6 or 8. I generally use 6 wt for streamers I use my 8 for carp, pike and large bass, but in the wind, I might use the 8 for streamers.

This is all just general advice, I'm sure others will add more

those other guys beat me to it while I was typing

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use an 8wt for largemouth and pike and in the salt 90% of the time. Most often rather than going to a heavier rod, I'll just use a heavier line.
Don't own a 3. I use to have one but I decided that a 4wt was as light as I ever needed to go.

brokeoff

Reaction score
IMHO, the fly size is the most important factor. You can google the fly size/line wt chart to get a general idea. You can also experiment with what feels nicest to cast. For example, guides have handed me a 6 wt to throw bigger streamers on a float. To me it felt clunky and I didn’t enjoy it. I preferred an 8 wt.

Wind is a consideration but I’ve never actually made a change because of it. I’m usually already using heavier lines to throw clousers and merkins already.

Most fish, besides those that sound, can be fought off the reel. With that being said I’ve never fought many big fish. Just Alvie’s to ten lbs and stripers to maybe 20.

karstopo

Reaction score
Some of the flies used for Musky and some of the saltwater fish like adult Tarpon are pretty massive and too big to cast well or far with an 8 weight.

The big reels with lots of line capacity fit better on bigger rods. So if it’s a big fish that runs off a bunch of line and demands a big fly, an 8 weight just isn’t going to be the thing to use.

Don’t people catch billfish on fly tackle? I think that’s a 14 weight type of deal. Massive, strong fish that run and dive. Adult Tarpon are 11 and 12 weight fish and those fish have a habit of snapping rods like those in two.

clouserguyky

Reaction score
I agree with what some others have said in that fly size/type of fly is the most important factor, followed by conditions. Google some charts like others have mentioned. I think Orvis has a good one on their page.

Living in Oklahoma, I'm not sure if you'd really need anything heavier than an 8, since I'm guessing you're mostly fishing for tailwater trout and bass, so your 6 and 8 weight could cover most of that. A 4 or 5 weight could be nice for the tailwaters and the size 12-22 flies you'd likely be using there. If you fish for stripers in the tailwaters, a 9 or 10 weight could come in handy to throw big baitfish imitations.

hunter1

Reaction score
I use a sage 3 wt LL when the streams I fish are low, when I need a gentle presentation . I use a 4 wt LL under normal conditions. 5wt in winter. 7 wt for panfish and small bass. 8 wt for largemouth bass and other med fish . 9wt for the salt.

ratherfish

Reaction score
.......Living in Oklahoma, I'm not sure if you'd really need anything heavier than an 8, since I'm guessing you're mostly fishing for tailwater trout and bass, so your 6 and 8 weight could cover most of that. A 4 or 5 weight could be nice for the tailwaters and the size 12-22 flies you'd likely be using there. If you fish for stripers in the tailwaters, a 9 or 10 weight could come in handy to throw big baitfish imitations.
That's why I bought the 8wt was with the hopes to catch some stripers, a guy told me where to catch them - then sold me a rod :D

The 6wt was the first rod I bought, it was supposed to be an "if you're only going to have one rod...." rod. The 3wt was in my 20yr anniversary catalog for a gift to choose from. I've not used the 3 or 8 yet.

ratherfish

Reaction score
So far I mostly fish small ponds and catch pans, small bass, and small cats - after these conversations, I think I may break out that 3wt just to see the difference.

dennyk

Reaction score
In my area having a 3,6 and an 8wt as my rods, my application for them would be this:

3wt- Bluegills, trout in small waters.

6wt- Smallmouth Bass, larger trout waters and streamer fishing.

8wt- Largemouth Bass, Steelhead, Salmon and Carp.

Get that 3wt out and go have some fun with the Bluegills!

Denny

ratherfish

Reaction score
Fenwick.jpg

So here is my 3wt that I picked from the company gift catalog - I believe this was my 20yr so this dude would be 11yrs old now and just breathing life into it.

Is it acceptable to still use 6x tippet on a 3wt rig?

dennyk

Reaction score
Yes, a 5X or a 6X tippet is all I have used on my 3 weight, just be mindful of your hook sets. On the strike, just lift your rod tip, with sharp hooks the fish will make the hook set itself. Just my thing, I use a #12 hook with a crimped down barb for my Bluegill fishing flies, at times they suck the fly in pretty deep and it makes fly removal a whole lot easier.

Really nice gift you have there!

Denny

jayr

Reaction score
View attachment 17493

So here is my 3wt that I picked from the company gift catalog - I believe this was my 20yr so this dude would be 11yrs old now and just breathing life into it.

Of course it’s acceptable. Where I primarily fish, GSMNP, the fish are extremely spooky.

ratherfish

Reaction score
So I fished that 3wt today and used the same flies I have been using with my 6. Man, that was an experience, it seemed so slow! On my back-cast I think I could've ate a candy-bar and still have a loop at the end of my string. It would either tangle up or flop out in the water like a ball of yarn. What's-up with that?

ctshooter

Reaction score
I had a similar experience the other night when I grabbed my 9wt reel by accident and tried fishing an old 6wt bamboo rod, it felt really funny

jayr

Reaction score
So I fished that 3wt today and used the same flies I have been using with my 6. Man, that was an experience, it seemed so slow! On my back-cast I think I could've ate a candy-bar and still have a loop at the end of my string. It would either tangle up or flop out in the water like a ball of yarn. What's-up with that?
What size flies were they?