Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broke the tip off a Helios Orvis Rod

I was fishing with my dad out near quake lake yesterday and he was clearing the ice from the tip of his rod and it just snapped. I laughed because he just got it back from snapping the the same tip. Probably negative 5 windchill so it was cold. I think I am going to cut off a piece of an old Croakies sunglass holder and put it on the end of my rod next time I head out (maybe it will work).

my point. Rod tips snap easy in winter, so be careful.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Broke the tip off a Helios Orvis Rod

I will put the "Broken Rod Poll" up for you, you'll see what I mean in a few minutes.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Do you think it's possible that as rods become faster and faster that the material used becomes more brittle? hence it would snap easier in colder weather.

not really, but as they get lighter and lighter, they get weaker and weaker. They are using the latest technology in bonding agents and resins in that rod. These are MUCH stronger than those used in the past, this allows them to make the blanks thinner and thinner, hence the light weight. Light weight = light strength any way you slice it. Not a bad thing per say...that's what the 25 year warranty is for. Keep in mind that 3m has made this technology available to all makers, so this isnt just an Orvis thing. We will see some very light rods in 2011 coming from all of the big shops.

Quote Originally Posted by db cooper View Post
    not really, but as they get lighter and lighter, they get weaker and weaker. They are using the latest technology in bonding agents and resins in that rod. These are MUCH stronger than those used in the past, this allows them to make the blanks thinner and thinner, hence the light weight. Light weight = light strength any way you slice it. Not a bad thing per say...that's what the 25 year warranty is for. Keep in mind that 3m has made this technology available to all makers, so this isnt just an Orvis thing. We will see some very light rods in 2011 coming from all of the big shops.
    The Orvis Helios does not use the same 3M technology as seen in rods such as G Loomis NRX or Hardy Sintrix or Galloup's St Croix rod.

I agree that they are lighter, stronger, and have a great warranty but just wanted to point out that the Helios is not the same. 3M Matrix Resin 3831 is different to the Orvis patented high temperature cure thermoplastic resin used in the Helios.

Quote Originally Posted by big_e View Post
    The Orvis Helios does not use the same 3M technology as seen in rods such as G Loomis NRX or Hardy Sintrix or Galloup's St Croix rod.

I agree that they are lighter, stronger, and have a great warranty but just wanted to point out that the Helios is not the same. 3M Matrix Resin 3831 is different to the Orvis patented high temperature cure thermoplastic resin used in the Helios.
    Here's a Hardy Sintrex rod test. A 10-7 Sintrex is doubled over beyond a U and does not blow. The new 3M resins (and Hardy had their own tweaked version of it) are unreal. One of my buddies at Hardy has already landed a 150 pound Hammerhead with a 9 foot 8 weight.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJRnYPrkdk]YouTube - Hardy SINTRIX 10' # 7 4 Piece Rod on the Hardy Test Rig[/ame]

I'm just impressed that you are fishing Quake Lake at this time of year. Won't complain so much about fishing in 20 degree weather last week.
    Moose

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock

Quote Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
    I'm just impressed that you are fishing Quake Lake at this time of year. Won't complain so much about fishing in 20 degree weather last week.
    He said near Quake, which i would think would be the Maddy.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Rod makers continue to discovered many different methods to increase modulus so as to make lighter thinner blanks. Their goal is to make a particular performance rod with durability and strength. There always seems to be a new better generstion of products or manufacturing processes. Will the 3M technology now being used in rod making be the answer. Who knows, many people still enjoy the older and durable IM6 blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishalong View Post
    I was fishing with my dad out near quake lake yesterday and he was clearing the ice from the tip of his rod and it just snapped. I laughed because he just got it back from snapping the the same tip. Probably negative 5 windchill so it was cold. I think I am going to cut off a piece of an old Croakies sunglass holder and put it on the end of my rod next time I head out (maybe it will work).

my point. Rod tips snap easy in winter, so be careful.
    I wonder whether the thermoplastic resins are more susceptible to becoming brittle in cold weather. Their properties are more temperature dependent than epoxy resins in terms of high temperature. I wonder if the same us true in the cold. Any material science folks in the audience.

In fairness, seems that any graphite rods would become more brittle at extremely cold temps. How much did he have it flexed to do his ice clearing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast