Purchasing Dilemma! Please help!

Bgregist

Reaction score
Hello all,
I currently have a 9'5wt Orris Clearwater outfit that I purchased last year as an introduction to fly fishing. I've since fished that rod hard for trout here in Brockville Tailwater Indiana and even out west. My casting stroke and techniques have greatly improved over the last year and am now efficient in most casting techniques for trout. That said, I would love to update my rod to a more "premium" rod. I've been looking at the Sage Foundation which is not going to break the bank, but likely be a better overall rod compared to the Clearwater.

My dilemma: should I purchase a smaller dedicated dry fly rod (3 or 4wt) and the Sage Foundation in a 6wt to through double nymphs and streamers? Or stick with a 9'5wt Sage Foundation type rod that can "do everything" from dries to nymphs...but better than the Clearwater? The goal is to be able to through dries from size 20 to size 4 streamers and heavy nymph rigs

Any advice is appreciated? Thanks!

osseous

Reaction score
6wt- no question. A year into this, you're not gonna be taking advantage of the benefits of a 3wt. Work on your casting skills. That 6wt will help you catch fish right now, by making the heavier rig or windy days much more manageable.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bgregist

Reaction score
Thanks @Osseous. If I go with the 6wt, my concern effectiveness throwing size 16-20 dries. I do agree the double nymph rig and streamers would be much easier on the 6. Just concerned about the all around application as this will be my only setup

Bgregist

Reaction score
Has anyone cast the Foundation 6wt? I just get nervous about having that be my only rod and not able to throw small-medium dries

bonefish41

Reaction score
It is reluctance that I suggest and agree with 6wt. I note that your location is Ohio...I am concerned that you come to our pristine tailwaters as a Thug from the banks of the Olentangy...now a gentleman's institution from Oxford or even Bowling Green would not sully our dark water, Brookville tailwater, stocked trout...;)
No need to go west go north to Baldwin Michigan for trout, steel, and salmon...

Bgregist

Reaction score
Bone fish, yes brookville is stocked but it's only 30 minutes from my house...so in that regard I'm thankful. I did fish Upper Manistee last month with success. I will be going to Colorado in August and fish Idaho as well. North Carolina also gets fished. I can't help where I live!

So you are reluctant about fishing the above mentioned fisheries with a sole 6wt as well?

osseous

Reaction score
Has anyone cast the Foundation 6wt? I just get nervous about having that be my only rod and not able to throw small-medium dries
Just lengthen your leader a bit- I fish size 18 BWO on a 6wt all the time. Not a problem at all.

osseous

Reaction score
how long of a leader are you talking? 12'?
That's plenty- not necessary in most circumstances, but if you find that to be the case, it's an easy fix to just lengthen your tippet. Imagine the other scenario- you find yourself with your 3wt and the wind kicks up. Very common- and you can't hit your target because your cast has no power. In the meantime, an indicator and two fly rig casts like a dream compared to a 5wt~

6wts don't get the attention they deserve. Extremely function trout rods that make life much easier.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
It’s funny that even though I primarily fish. 4 and 5 wt outfits for trout, I agree. Wholeheartedly with Osseus’s recommendation.

Part of that is because I don’t really see all that much difference in one line wt. between outfits. I think. I could do and enjoy everything that I do with a 5 with a 6. And. I always have a 6 with me.

But I would follow that purchase with a lighter 4 wt as soon as possible. When the wind, the fish and the water let me get away with it, I love to fish the 4 wt. I have never owned a 3 wt and really have no desire to unless I were to start fishing tiny streams sheltered from the wind.

If I had to go with two rods for trout, the only choices in my mind would be deciding which 6 and which 4 to select.

Don

proheli

Reaction score
I would also think a 6wt is a good idea for what you are saying, as long as it is not a broom stick. As soon as you use the term “heavy nymph rig” I think 6wt. And 6wts will do a lot, but ya know, most contractors have more than one hammer. If you want a nice rod that will throw drys well and still let you nymph in a pinch without running back to the car, 864 is a great size and would pair nicely with your 906. Sometimes guys go down in length and line weight when they start to lose the room to swing a 9 footer. But remember, there is nothing wrong with having just one rod. Beware the man with just one gun. :)

Bgregist

Reaction score
I would also think a 6wt is a good idea for what you are saying, as long as it is not a broom stick. As soon as you use the term “heavy nymph rig” I think 6wt. And 6wts will do a lot, but ya know, most contractors have more than one hammer. If you want a nice rod that will throw drys well and still let you nymph in a pinch without running back to the car, 864 is a great size and would pair nicely with your 906. Sometimes guys go down in length and line weight when they start to lose the room to swing a 9 footer. But remember, there is nothing wrong with having just one rod. Beware the man with just one gun. :)
Thats great feedback, if you just had one rod...what would it be?

Acheron

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the Foundation specs, a 4wt Sage Launch (much older entry level Sage rod) handled fish up to 4-5lbs easily. It had backbone to handle larger fish when necessary and was my go to rod for ~10 years. It could cast size #24 dries or a double #6 streamer rig. Ultimate all around rod in my opinion.

My vote is get a 5wt for all around freshwater fishing for size 4ish - 24ish flies and fish from 0 - 8lbs (depending on the fish of course!)

With that said...hands down the MOST important thing to consider is if the rod fits your casting style. Try as many rods as you can until you find one that you can cast both 10ft and 50ft. :)

bonefish41

Reaction score
B: Sorry for attempting obscure humor...it was not where you live...it was reference to where you might have attended college OSU on the banks of the Olentangy. I can only comment about Michigan trout not west...I use 4, 6, and 7 for steel. I would look for used high end 6. Fish cannot count and as others have suggested vary leader length and tippet test. And I do fish Brookville

Bgregist

Reaction score
B: Sorry for attempting obscure humor...it was not where you live...it was reference to where you might have attended college OSU on the banks of the Olentangy. I can only comment about Michigan trout not west...I use 4, 6, and 7 for steel. I would look for used high end 6. Fish cannot count and as others have suggested vary leader length and tippet test. And I do fish Brookville
no worries and no offense taken! I didn't go to OSU or Michigan for that matter. NC born and educated here (NC State).

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
If I was choosing only one rod to do all of my trout fishing, I would reluctantly settle on a 9.5 or 10 foot 5 wt.

But Ifish pretty specific waters and many lakes. Plus I have been doing this for 55 years. And that also means that I am not physically likely or able to wade as aggressively as I used to.

My recommendation for you to get the most bang out of that one rod would be the 9’ 6 wt that we have been talking about.

But I have and use 9 different rods and only one of them is the 9’ 6 wt, but I seldom leave home without it.

Don

proheli

Reaction score
Dude. That is a bad question. That is really the wrong question. So wrong. Okay fine, but if my wife finds out I said this I will blame you and burn your house down :) Winston Air 864.

(but it sounds like I am on smaller waters than you and I do have a 906 for all the reasons you said above)

Last edited:

clouserguyky

Reaction score
The Sage Foundation is a good rod. If you can save an extra hundred, the Sage Pulse is even better. I agree with what others have said, a 6 weight is a great all around rod for your area. I've used 6 weights for trout, Smallmouth, carp, and walleye all in Ohio water. For tailwater trout I generally fish a 9'6" or 10' 5 weight, but at 6 is a bit more versatile if you want only one rod to cover the most water. A good 6 can nymph, present dries, and throw streamers with some leader adjustments.

spt2

Reaction score
Agreed with what has been said before re: 6wt. I've found over the years that it's much easier to get a big rod to fish small than it is to get a small rod to fish big. No comment on the Sage Foundation, but really, how bad could it be, it's a sage? Also, I've been told the Pulse will in effect be discontinued shortly, I saw them for 40% off at a fly shop near Dutch John, Utah. Now, I've cast the 690 Pulse and I did like it a lot, I was sorely tempted to buy one but I already have two really nice 6wts and it was too hard to justify a 3rd.... one of our party bought it though and fished it and really liked it. There are so many good choices out there, I wouldn't even know where to begin....