2/3/4 reel on 7'4" 4 wt Echo Glass?

devio

Reaction score
Hello,

I just picked up a 7'4" 4 wt Echo Glass rod. Echo recommends a 4/5 reel on the rod, but I am wondering if you think how a 2/3/4 would work.

Thanks!

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
I have an Echo 3, 4 weight. I have an Echo Ion 2/3 on it and it balances nicely. I think the 4/5 would be too big.

myt1

Reaction score
I'm kinda driving myself crazy trying to figure out the same thing.

I've kinda narrowed it down to a Bauer SST, or a Galvan Torque in the thee weight size, but there are a ton of other choices as well.

proheli

Reaction score
Hi OP.

It sounds a little tight to me, and I hate to have lines jammed to the rim of the spool. I’ve got a 3wt line on a 3-4-5 Click with a bit of backing and it’s just right. So, how big are the fish you are going to catch and do you ever expect to get into the backing. The less backing you use the more space you have, right? The shop will put the line and backing on the reel you want, then if there is not enough space you just get the bigger one.

Last edited:

devio

Reaction score
I'm kinda driving myself crazy trying to figure out the same thing.

I've kinda narrowed it down to a Bauer SST, or a Galvan Torque in the thee weight size, but there are a ton of other choices as well.
Those are both super nice reels! I wish they were in my price range at this time. Thank you for your input! I want to use the rod this upcoming weekend so I put myself in a bind with this tight timeline. Too many options!

devio

Reaction score
Small stream brook trout is what I will be going for with this rod. I wouldn't anticipate getting to the backing that often. That is a really good idea. Thank you!

devio

Reaction score
I like big reels and glass rods can be a bit on the tip heavy side so I'd go 4/5/6 and put the backing to it.
Thank you, I think I am leaning that way. Or at least to the 4/5 instead of the 2/3/4. The smaller one is a better deal and much better reel, but if it doesn't feel right then it doesn't matter how good the deal is I guess.

sjkirkpa

Reaction score
Devio, My Echo 3, 4wt is 8'6". In my opinion, for what it's worth, the Echo Ion reels are a little large for their rating size, if that makes any sense. And maybe that is why the ECho Ion 2/3 works well for this rod. I can't speak to other manufacturers, as this is the only reel I have put on this rod.

wthorpe

Reaction score
Sometimes i think "we" -- meaning me, many of you, and especially folks who work in shops and sell reels/lines, tend to stuff too much backing on reels, even to the point of making the fly line crowded on the reel if you reel in the line a bit sloppily. I think we let the amount of backing become too big an issue sometimes in determining reel size to buy. How many fish do you catch that get into the backing anyway? How many way into the backing? All the way to the reel? Moment of candor here: I hook and land some 20+" fish every year with 4-5-6 wt rods/reels/lines, but about half the time i see my backing i have foul hooked a fish who jumped in the current and took off for the next county. For bigger reels used in salt or for salmon/steelhead, the issues are probably different--i dont really do that. For folks fishing garden variety trout rods and reels it is often worthwhile to get the next size down in reel, and live with less backing--which you are never gonna use anyway. I have one reel that i will use where all the fish are going to be 15" or less and i just tied on a few yards of backing to keep from tying the 90' fly line directly to the reel.