Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 5 weight under $400

What are some of the better rods in a 5 weight that sell for under $400 or so? I'm not close to a fly shop to try any out. I'm looking for a medium fast rod. The Orvis Access and the TFO BVK strike my interest. Has anybody fished with either? What are some of the other rods that I should consider?

Tully

Default Re: 5 weight under $400

TM

There are several threads on this & similar subjects in the FORUM. Might be a good starting point to research some of them.

In addition, you can go to "Reviews" in "Tackle Talk" to read cattech89's excellent report about the ALLEN outfit he & Justin put together.

There are many very qualified FORUM members to help you on this question,
    shouldn't take long until some advice starts rolling in. Good luck.

IM

Blog Entries

Keep an eye on Ebay for the Orvis Helios fly rod. It sells for $775 retail but occasionally you can pick one up for around $400. Crittergetter latched onto on one EBay for $400 and it is a fantastic rod.

Larry
    Larry

You stated the weight and the action, but not the length. I like 8'6" rods, and a St. Croix Avid in that configuration is very nice. The 9' Avid is also nice, but feels a bit tip heavy compared to the 8'6" rod (they all do to me ). The Sage Vantage is another very nice rod, and like the Avid is made in the USA. I have zero experience with the Sage Flight, but it seems to be a popular rod. $400 is that funny price point that lies in between "premium" and entry-level. I don't use labels like entry-level, and prefer good and bad. The angler that let me try his Vantage has been fly fishing for years, and is an excellent caster.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
    You stated the weight and the action, but not the length. I like 8'6" rods, and a St. Croix Avid in that configuration is very nice. The 9' Avid is also nice, but feels a bit tip heavy compared to the 8'6" rod (they all do to me ). The Sage Vantage is another very nice rod, and like the Avid is made in the USA.
    I also recommend St. Croix but I think the Avid may be a little slow for you if you are wanting a mod/fast action. I think the Legend Ultra, while a little pricier would fit that description a littoe closer.
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by cattech89 View Post
    I also recommend St. Croix but I think the Avid may be a little slow for you if you are wanting a mod/fast action. I think the Legend Ultra, while a little pricier would fit that description a littoe closer.
    Oooops.....Forgot to mention the Legend Ultra. I owned a couple of those in 8'6" 5wt, and they were great. I sold them when clearing out the dozen 5wts I
    owned. :eek"

Hey Frank.
    If that ever happens again you just let me know. Ill make a couple of them disappear for you.
    Seth

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
    ----------------------------------------
    Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Blog Entries

You have quite a list growing. Here are a couple medium fast action rods to add to the list.

Scott A3 - a solid performer. A made in USA rod for under $400.
    Greys Streamflex - 2010 models are on closeout. For 2011, the blank changed color.
    TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series - TFO's top selling rod in terms of volume.

I am sure others will add more to your list.

MP

This is an excellent fly rod. Chicago Fly Fishing Outfitters Online Store - Fly Rods - Loop - Loop Opti Nymph 9' 5 WT Rod (Close Out)

I can't say enough about these Loop rods, and I own Sage Z-Axis, ZXP, Winston Biix, Loomis GLX rods. This is a great fly rod for $400.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Blog Entries

I agree. The Scott A3 is at the top of my list.

TFO Lefty Kreh and even the upper end Ross Worldwide series.

Any Allen fly rod users out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast