5 weight under $400

tully mars

Reaction score
What are some of the better rods in a 5 weight that sell for under $400 or so? I'm not close to a fly shop to try any out. I'm looking for a medium fast rod. The Orvis Access and the TFO BVK strike my interest. Has anybody fished with either? What are some of the other rods that I should consider?

Tully

imxer

Reaction score
TM

There are several threads on this & similar subjects in the FORUM. Might be a good starting point to research some of them.

In addition, you can go to "Reviews" in "Tackle Talk" to read cattech89's excellent report about the ALLEN outfit he & Justin put together.

There are many very qualified FORUM members to help you on this question,
shouldn't take long until some advice starts rolling in. Good luck. :)

IM

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Ebay for the Orvis Helios fly rod. It sells for $775 retail but occasionally you can pick one up for around $400. Crittergetter latched onto on one EBay for $400 and it is a fantastic rod.

Larry

FrankB2

Reaction score
You stated the weight and the action, but not the length. I like 8'6" rods, and a St. Croix Avid in that configuration is very nice. The 9' Avid is also nice, but feels a bit tip heavy compared to the 8'6" rod (they all do to me :) ). The Sage Vantage is another very nice rod, and like the Avid is made in the USA. I have zero experience with the Sage Flight, but it seems to be a popular rod. $400 is that funny price point that lies in between "premium" and entry-level. I don't use labels like entry-level, and prefer good and bad. The angler that let me try his Vantage has been fly fishing for years, and is an excellent caster.

cattech89

Reaction score
You stated the weight and the action, but not the length. I like 8'6" rods, and a St. Croix Avid in that configuration is very nice. The 9' Avid is also nice, but feels a bit tip heavy compared to the 8'6" rod (they all do to me :) ). The Sage Vantage is another very nice rod, and like the Avid is made in the USA.
I also recommend St. Croix but I think the Avid may be a little slow for you if you are wanting a mod/fast action. I think the Legend Ultra, while a little pricier would fit that description a littoe closer.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I also recommend St. Croix but I think the Avid may be a little slow for you if you are wanting a mod/fast action. I think the Legend Ultra, while a little pricier would fit that description a littoe closer.
Oooops.....Forgot to mention the Legend Ultra. I owned a couple of those in 8'6" 5wt, and they were great. I sold them when clearing out the dozen 5wts I
owned. :eek" :D

cattech89

Reaction score
Hey Frank.
If that ever happens again you just let me know. Ill make a couple of them disappear for you. ;););)

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
You have quite a list growing. Here are a couple medium fast action rods to add to the list.

Scott A3 - a solid performer. A made in USA rod for under $400.
Greys Streamflex - 2010 models are on closeout. For 2011, the blank changed color.
TFO Lefty Kreh Professional Series - TFO's top selling rod in terms of volume.

I am sure others will add more to your list.

MP

gjcordray

Reaction score
I agree. The Scott A3 is at the top of my list.

TFO Lefty Kreh and even the upper end Ross Worldwide series.

Any Allen fly rod users out there?

estrother

Reaction score
Hydros $495 w/ free reel is less than $400 for the rod.

Orvis has the free reel special going now. If you need a reel for this or any other rod, it could be a good deal. You can choose any of the included reel types in any weight; it does not have to match your purchase. The Hydros is the Helios with lesser hardware (functionally the same).

bjweller

Reaction score
I have a TFO six wt that I use for pitching streamers mostly. It works well. My Sage FLi is a 5 wt and is by far my favorite rod I have ever owned. They don't make the FLi anymore but I know you can get the newer version for around $400 or maybe even a little less. That price is of course just for the rod, not the reel or line or anything else. Good luck. I love shopping for gear and adding to my collection. It's too bad I don't have money.

db cooper

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that the St. Croix Legend Ultra is the BEST rod under $400. Honestly, its probably the best under $700. YMMV

gt05254

Reaction score
My 2 cents: keep your eye on fleabay for older Orvis Trident TL's. They are pretty fast, light rods. I have been using my 9' 5wt for years, toting it all over the country. I have the same rod in 10, 8 and 6 wts as well, and would recommend them anytime! And the best news is you can often find a brand new one on fleabay for less than $200. IMHO, the best rod for that money out there.

There is a good looking Orvis Trident, 8'6" 5wt on ebay right now - item number 290517623207. Probably a good buy.

Last edited:

rangerrich99

Reaction score
According to last year's gear guide top ten lists, the St. Croix Imperial 9 ft. 5 wt. at $200 is the best rod under $400. However, I would recommend test driving a bunch of different rods; I got my Imperial from a buddy who didn't like it. I love the thing, but it just goes to show one person's trash is another's treasure.

boser

Reaction score
:wiggle:
I agree. The Scott A3 is at the top of my list.

TFO Lefty Kreh and even the upper end Ross Worldwide series.

Any Allen fly rod users out there?
gj, I am a Allen Rod user. I own (3). 3 wt, 5 wt and 7/8 wt.

I cant say enough good about them. I am still amazed at the quality for the 160 bucks. The 5 wt is my favorite as it is medium fast action. I actually like it better than my 5 wt TFO. I wanted to comment on the Allen's but I didnt want to seem like a salesman. No foolin though, they are a nice rod and Justin always gives me a spare tip with my rods. I believe he will also fix them if they break.

Best Regards and Happy New Year, Boser