Thanks Thanks:  27
Likes Likes:  170
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sage LL

Default Re: Sage LL

Quote Originally Posted by czando View Post
    I have spent the last week or so with the 490 LL and despite it being and cold feel I have a decent feel for it. I also a 9’ 4 weight Avantt which I compared it to. I also cast the new paradigm and a few G Series as well recently. Overall for a 9 foot rod the LL is super light with virtually no swing weight. It is really smooth and bends deep with fast recovery.
    After I finished my somewhat extensive casting session with the 586, I did cast the 490 briefly as I was intrigued given that many reviews suggest it's the pick of the LL litter. While I only cast it for a few minutes, I liked it a lot, for many of the reasons you mentioned. No idea what the line was, but I thought it was just OK at short distances but at 30'+ it was terrific. Based on the feel I was thinking it would be great for dries or swinging soft hackles. What's interesting is that on my drive home I was thinking I'd really love to cast it against the Avantt and the new Paradigm in the 9' 4 wt models. So really interested to hear your thoughts on the new Paradigm, perhaps in a new thread.

Blog Entries

I'm following this thread as more people input their personal casting/fishing experience with the new TLL's. I spent 4 hours the other day casting the entire TLL series, then I borrowed a shop rod (586) and went a few miles down the road to the river and fished for 45 minutes. I'll save my lengthy full thoughts for after the masses contribute, but I will say five things from my initial takeaways:

1) They appear to be nice rods for the purpose for which they were designed.
    2) They have very little in common with the original LL series from a model to same model size comparison of actions.
    3) I suspect the 389, 490, 586 and 590 will be the most popular selling rod configurations in the series.
    4) Unless an angler is seeking the specific use of the intended design of these rods, I think they will find other series of Sage rods to fill their needs with more versatility- IE Sage X 486, 586, 590 Sage Dart 376, etc.
    5) For me personally, the 490 and 590 would be the only two rods in the series that I might have interest in owning that have individual characteristics that position them uniquely in a specific category where they rank well. I feel the 486X will do everything the "fun to cast" 586LL will do, and a GS885 is a more versatile option when actually fishing, and the 586X is in another time zone altogether when it comes to power than the 586LL, the 389 spot carries legendary history and I found it more like a moderate action, skinny blanked, sub 9' 3.5wt which does neither 3wt work nor 4wt work exceptionally, the 486TLL the jury is still out but I didn't walk away thinking anything more than "nice rod" no wow factor, the 590TLL is a nice moderate action 5wt comparable to GS905 and Pure 905, but the 590X is more versatile than 590TLL and the GS905, though slightly slower in line speed is more stable, especially at distance -the 590TLL could have been viewed as a lighter weight, skinnier blanked, fuller flexing, 1986 590RPL in my hand - I think a bunch of anglers will like the rod, if looking for a faster moderate rod with some grunt. The 490TLL is the one rod that carves it's own niche in moderate action 9' 4wts, not high powered, but more toward the top end of moderate spectrum, faster than GS904 by a smidge, higher line speed than any other moderate 9' 4wts, but make no mistake, this is not a 9' 4wt NRX. What I didn't like was it's initial introduction to it's short game capabilities....it loved 35' and beyond, but was all tip casting at closer than 30'. But it's a mid range by design longer 4wt. That it does well and again, I think a bunch of folks will like the 490TLL. Compared to others in the series, it does have a more "modern" stiffer feel to it...though once loaded and actually casting it becomes very progressive in flex profile.
    Last edited by cooutlaw; 11-08-2019 at 01:46 AM.

3. Likes WNCtroutstalker, sweetandsalt liked this post

I always find it interesting on what people think about fly rods, good or they didn't like it. I ended up buying a new Sage spey reel and some other spey gear instead of the LL and life the way it is had me working through the steelhead season and my fly shop had run out of the LL series. Local friends gush about the rods for smaller river work is it might be a great fit for our area.

What is fast and slow, we all have our take on that, I doubt I would use this rod for distance casting, I believe there are other Sage rods made for that. Sorry for starting the thread and then having life get in the way, I thank everyone for their opinions and mine will have to come after the hunting season. I could give a review on the new Sage spey reel and the new OPST rods.

Well, I still have only lawn cast the 9'/#5 T LL at a shop and it left me not blown away. Oh, it is a nice rod and very good looking in the Sage way. It struck me as a rod for a Winston rod fan who wanted that feel and flex with superior performance. My current Sage favorite trout rod is the 8 1/2'/#5 X with RIO's Technical Trout. For me it is a wow. I'm still wanting to cast the T LL 8 1/2'/#4 but cooutlaw has thrown a bit of cold water on my theoretical enthusiasm.

In a month I'm hoping to lawn test a new medium fast "presentation" oriented 9'/#5 that is purported to be extra slender and light with unprecedented smooth recovery...so I'm told. You all will be among the first to hear about it.

6. Likes unknownflyman, cooutlaw liked this post

hi,

tempora mutantur...but not the really good rods:

im so happy to have stayed with my custom mod 490-4 and my custom x 390-4...both

with technical trout #4(because x 390-4 is nearly a four).

nice we.

thomas

8. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

My thing is, If I want slower light line action, I have really nice glass rods for that, I dunno we'll have to see down the road, my fly budget is shot for at least until the spring expo.

10. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Well, I still have only lawn cast the 9'/#5 T LL at a shop and it left me not blown away. Oh, it is a nice rod and very good looking in the Sage way. It struck me as a rod for a Winston rod fan who wanted that feel and flex with superior performance. My current Sage favorite trout rod is the 8 1/2'/#5 X with RIO's Technical Trout. For me it is a wow. I'm still wanting to cast the T LL 8 1/2'/#4 but cooutlaw has thrown a bit of cold water on my theoretical enthusiasm.

In a month I'm hoping to lawn test a new medium fast "presentation" oriented 9'/#5 that is purported to be extra slender and light with unprecedented smooth recovery...so I'm told. You all will be among the first to hear about it.
    Do not be dissuaded from testing 486TLL S&S, it is a fine rod. As I cast the rod I also thought of your preferences for habitat and how it might fill your specific desires for your specialized techniques. My suspicions were that you would enjoy it being slightly quicker than 490TLL, would find the rod to flex deeper into the mid-lower sections than you might desire, would appreciate the adequate tip recovery, would prefer a RIO Technical Trout Line, would see the line speed as adequate for mono leaders to 12' or so - although furls might be compromised, find 40'-45' the sweet spot for precision distance, although this is a smaller yet water stick and could live at 30', the rod tracks well, but does not have the tip, strength, higher line speed, or width of band that a 486X has. This rod struck me as the very lightest rod that you might ever consider to be employed in your quiver....to you a "creek" rod by all accounts. It's a nice stick...similar in some ways to GS844...but more delicate and diminutive yet...a 480/486 Pure/Air is almost hefty by comparison, this rod, to me, was more of a GS843/883 with a mild turbo and a touch faster action. It's hard to place it as a solid 8'6" 4wt class member. It reminds me of the really small wiry kid on the football field playing with the bigger kids and keeping up ok...by all accounts it's a "light duty" 4wt. To me it's a 3.5 wt. with enough backbone, grunt, and accelerated line speed to play with moderate 4 wts- the line speed and grunt keeps it in the game. Many are going to like this rod....I just couldn't, at a first and shallow appraisal only, find a compelling wow factor, nor where it's position in my arsenal might be and it didn't immediately upstage anything in my current toolbox enough to replace another rod. The TLLs seem to be "Dart like" in many ways, but far fuller flexing and more delicate. Thinking abstractly, the 486TLL might actually be a slightly more muscular version of the 389TLL. The 389TLL bending toward too much (for me) and the 486TLL bordering on just barely enough (for me).

12. Likes unknownflyman, sweetandsalt liked this post

See now you have me interested again. LOL I am interested in the #486.

14. Likes cooutlaw liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    See now you have me interested again. LOL I am interested in the #486.
    It's a nice stick....I think many folks will love it, I just can't, in my very short time with it, get it mentally placed in a quiver slot for myself...it's tricky, a bit specialty, and probably just right for somebody wanting a shorter, delicate, 4wt....if you are shoehorning it in between other rods up or down like I might be, it's easy to get overlap...it falls somewhere between a longer 8'+ 3wt, or light 8' 4wt class and mid 8'6" length moderate 5wt...with a bend toward the lighter side...I have longer 3wts that closely mimmick it, and mid length moderate/fast 4 wts that fish wider than it would....so it's likely too tight in my bag for me to own it...but I can see where somebody would/could fill light moderate 4wt duty in it's entirety with the rod...I'd likely still want a bigger 4wt before the jump to 5wt for longer distance, rigged nymphing , roll casting, bigger wind, etc. as the 486TLL looks to be a great dry, smaller dry dropper, light or single nymph duty kinda space. For many, I think they will find it perfectly fills a gap for them, just probably not as their sole 4wt.

16. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    it's tricky, a bit specialty, and probably just right for somebody wanting a shorter, delicate, 4wt. For many, I think they will find it perfectly fills a gap for them, just probably not as their sole 4wt.
    Kind of sounds like you're describing my TMF (though maybe the TLL 486 is more versatile?). Actually, it sounds a lot like my TXL-F 4 wt in terms of function, though I suspect the TLL is more full flexing. I know you only cast the TLL 486 briefly, but how would you say it compares to a TMF or Pure 804? Is the heftiness of the Pure you mentioned above referring to swing weight or power? I understand you consider the TLL 486 a 3+/4- (and I'm not at all surprised by that given my impressions of the 586), just interested in how it compares to the Winstons since they're all at similar price points.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast