Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fenwick glass.....

Considering buying an older Fenwick glass rod #FF705 7' 5wt.

Do any members have any firsthand experience with this rod? if so please tell me about it?

My understanding is that the older fiberglass rods will cast just fine going one line weight lighter than what they are marked, so I'm thinking this might be a sweet small stream rod with a double taper 4wt line. Am I going in the right direction here?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Fenwick glass.....

I have the FF75, rated for a 5 or 6, and you're right you can go one line weight either way. I got mine early last summer and ended up using it exclusively the whole season. I'm sure you'll love it.

And also, from the info I found on the glass forum, the three number designation are more recent. The people seem to love the FF705. The 4 piece has a softer, more full flexing action than the 2 pc. I'm just reporting what I read on the fiberglass flyrod forum. Check it out.

Thanks for the input glassroddr. I'm excited to see if I get this rod.

From what I've read this rod has a little more backbone than some glass. True-untrue?
    *****on edit***I guess you just said that in the last post. lol

What type line do you use on yours?

I have a Cortland 444SL 5 wgt on now. I just bought a Cortland peach dt-4. I haven't tried it yet. I was tempted by the sylk line but the reviews are mixed.

Gosh Darnett!!!!
    Out bid again. lol Out bid by .02 cents.

Well that's a nice Sage fiberglass rod, and a nice Fenwick that I have lost out on in the very last seconds.

Starting to think someone is telling me I don't need a glass rod.

7. Default Re: Fenwick glass.....

the one downfall about ebay......sorry u didnt get your rod

Fysh,

If you want a good very small stream rod, then go looking for a Fenwick FF535; a 5'3" 5 wt. midge rod (can be be fished with a DT4F line; although I use a DT5F, which works just fine). It's a surprisingly powerful 5'3" rod and you can fish it just about anywhere that you can fit your body. Casts 40+' without a lot of effort, loads as soon as the leader clears the tiptop and can handle fish in the 18" range without complaining. I like it; but I use it only for really tight fishing. I have it mated with an old Martin MG-3 "tuna can" reel; which is very light and which balances this rod perfectly.

Happy hunting! Don't give up, you'll get one. And I think you'll like glass.

On the more modern side, I love my Diamondglass 7'6" 3 wt. It's my "go to" glass rod for freestone stream fishing. Nice action, powerful, but subtle.

Thanks Pocono, I will keep that in mind.

Life is funny sometimes. lol I went over and seen the in-laws this afternoon and in the course of conversation I happened to mention the auction and the rod I missed out on. Well it just so happens that my FIL has a Fenwick 7' 6" 5-6wt with rod case and rod bag sitting in the corner of the garage.
    Without batting an eye I asked him if he would be willing to part ways with it, well you guessed it the answer was....."no".
    But on a good note, he did say that he would put a piece of tape on the case with my name on it, so someday it will be passed on to me. Sure love that ol'fella.

I did take the rod out of the tube and check it out. I told him I bet this is a really sweet rod to cast, which he replied, "Yes it is".

Fysh,

I'm willing to try to "influence" you a little!

Here's a couple of pics of my FF535 fitted with the Martin tuna can reel.

Think of it this way: "She's on the fashion runway, coming at you"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...ndReels003.jpg

"She flicks you a smile, turns, now going away from you"

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...ndReels004.jpg

Stirrin' any juices yet?

Mojo has a 535; probably fitted out in a similar manner.

Keep looking; you'll get one!

In the meantime, if a Phillipson 7'6" Master comes up on ebay, don't think twice about it, just put in your best bid!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast