Sage igniter 590My thoughts so far...

The op

Reaction score
Sage claims igniter is not for the everyday angler,,i disagree.

The 590 does crave a great,smooth,fast,powerful,perfectly timed casting stroke,and it will perform as flawlessly as the input that you give it,,it doesnt mind a slower (compared to method) well timed less than perfect stroke either,but will not tolerate poor casting form,,at all.
Its not a good choice for a beginner,but an intermediate caster will benefit from time spent with this rod,it will make them a better caster,,eventually.

The op

Reaction score
After 2 months of fishing,and lawncasting in the yard as much as i can (lawncast around 4 weekdays per week 1 to 2 hrs after work with a swig of whiskey now and then,and fish the remaining 3 days)with 3 different lines,,,i feel that i have it dialed in.

Last edited:

The op

Reaction score
The lines...

Sa amplitude infinty wf5,,the loops are tight,but also easy to open,loops not as flat as the other 2 lines unless your cast is near perfect.
Powerful.The best for the big stuff out of the 3,wind,the biggest flies that youd throw on a 5 weight,streamers and indicators,it will drop small dries delicately at 25ft too,that just comes down to appropriate leader and casting technique.

Sa amplitude trout textured wf5.
I ll use this as a stillwater line,light winds,long leaders,small dries.
Doesnt like short shots much,excellent over 35ft,and even better super stable loops over 75.
I love the tactical reference point on this line.
Though to much,i find myself aerializing the full 68ft head,,just because i can.

Rio intouch gold wf5.
The inbetween of of the above 2 lines,handles wind,small or big dries,and doesnt complain with a small streamer.
Nice stable perfectly flat loops from 25ft to 75.
A very direct feel to the cast with the non stretch core,premium communication.
I ll use this 99% of the time,,by far my favorite.

I ll carry all 3 with me,im certain i ll have all bases covered.

Oh i didnt mention sa stillwater intermediate,,killer on this rod.

Now ive got this dialled in im ready for my next project,the igniter 490 and by december i ll be adding a 6,,looking forward to talking to the scott sector 8'4 6weight.

Last edited:

fffl

Reaction score
I started to fish my 9' 5wt igniter on lakes this year with a rio intermediate line. 90' cast are easy with not much effort with this rod . never had to push this rod to get good results , one of my better purchases

osseous

Reaction score
I agree with the opening comment- however, I will apply it to the 691.

I believe a true overline choice like the Rio Grand or similar would help a beginner if they were to choose the Igniter.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
I have the 590 Igniter as well, i currently have the Rio Grand on it. I know. I know. "IT'S WAY OVERLINED" but i did this on purpose, as I was in between selling a rod and waiting on a new one to arrive and was going on a trip. The trip was to a river that is fairly big, but tons of pocket water and picking your shots was more of the name of the game. So my thought was if I put on a heavy line it will load the rod easier and make those shorter shots a little easier. Turns out, this was a PERFECT combination as I didn't feel like I was trying to cast a broomstick, it was actually a lot of fun.

Then about two weeks ago i went on another trip, this river was wider with hardly any pocket water and hammering the banks was the game. I didn't have time to change out my line so i kept the Grand on it. It was about mid-day when the fishing had slowed, beers had been consumed and we decided to just start chucking line to see how far we could go. I was SENDING line as far as i wanted and it wasn't till after we had our fun I thought to my self "Damn, I wonder what this would do with a true/more true to weight line" Turns out, doesn't really matter. If it will chuck that line like it was there really is no need to change, at this point. I think it will perfect for the situations i usually find myself in. Big Western waters, windy, throwing big terrestrials.

And, I purchased the new Abel Vaya in the Cutthroat pattern to compliment this rod. Beyond excited to get this combo going!

luj333

Reaction score
I've got a 691 that I used for the first time this spring on a reservoir chasing bull trout in OR. Granted I had an intermediate line on, I was surprised how easy it was to throw the entire line out to the backing.

dillon

Reaction score
I purchased a 590 method this spring. It was one of five rods I'm my kit for my annual road trip with S&S. He had the 590 Ignitor with him and some other 5wt. I think it might have been a 590 Taylor Truth, but I can't remember what he has as it changes from year to year. I spent a lot of my time with the Method because my go to 950 One broke landing a fat hatchery trout on the Missouri on the first couple days of the trip. Yes, a hatchery trout. Some big Eagle Lake triploids wash over the dam every spring in high water. They can be identified by deformed or missing fins. They ain't pretty but they sip mayflies just like the wild rainbows. Anyway, I cast his ignitor and although I didn't fish it, I'd have to say the method felt, lighter, crisper and faster than the Ignitor. However, the Ignitor is a fine rod and may suit some anglers better than it's predecessor. I liked the close out price tag too. I balanced the method with a Ross Evolution R loaded with a WF Rio Gold. It won't replace my one but it compliments it nicely.

fishing hobo

Reaction score
Sage claims igniter is not for the everyday angler,,i disagree.

The 590 does crave a great,smooth,fast,powerful,perfectly timed casting stroke,and it will perform as flawlessly as the input that you give it,,it doesnt mind a slower (compared to method) well timed less than perfect stroke either,but will not tolerate poor casting form,,at all.
Its not a good choice for a beginner,but an intermediate caster will benefit from time spent with this rod,it will make them a better caster,,eventually.
Better off getting casting lessons.

The op

Reaction score
I started to fish my 9' 5wt igniter on lakes this year with a rio intermediate line. 90' cast are easy with not much effort with this rod . never had to push this rod to get good results , one of my better purchases
I agree,80 to 90ft casts are almost to easy with a wf5 intermediate.

Hows the rio? Much coiling problems?

The op

Reaction score
I have the 590 Igniter as well, i currently have the Rio Grand on it. I know. I know. "IT'S WAY OVERLINED" but i did this on purpose, as I was in between selling a rod and waiting on a new one to arrive and was going on a trip. The trip was to a river that is fairly big, but tons of pocket water and picking your shots was more of the name of the game. So my thought was if I put on a heavy line it will load the rod easier and make those shorter shots a little easier. Turns out, this was a PERFECT combination as I didn't feel like I was trying to cast a broomstick, it was actually a lot of fun.

Then about two weeks ago i went on another trip, this river was wider with hardly any pocket water and hammering the banks was the game. I didn't have time to change out my line so i kept the Grand on it. It was about mid-day when the fishing had slowed, beers had been consumed and we decided to just start chucking line to see how far we could go. I was SENDING line as far as i wanted and it wasn't till after we had our fun I thought to my self "Damn, I wonder what this would do with a true/more true to weight line" Turns out, doesn't really matter. If it will chuck that line like it was there really is no need to change, at this point. I think it will perfect for the situations i usually find myself in. Big Western waters, windy, throwing big terrestrials.

And, I purchased the new Abel Vaya in the Cutthroat pattern to compliment this rod. Beyond excited to get this combo going!
I dont like the grand type tapers myself,but i can imagine it would be a good choice for blasting big flies in wind.

Did you choose the 5/6 or 7/8 vaya?

The op

Reaction score
I've got a 691 that I used for the first time this spring on a reservoir chasing bull trout in OR. Granted I had an intermediate line on, I was surprised how easy it was to throw the entire line out to the backing.
Going by the 590,that is easy for me to believe.
The 590 tells me that i should cast its big brother.

Did you test cast both 691 and 690?

Reading one review i read on them both it stated the 691 doesnt like rio gold as much as 690 does.

Going by reviews in the past that say something like'this rod needs a half weight over line to load properly at 25 feet',,to me usually means that with a true weight line,it wont have as much feel in close but with throw wicked high linespeed tight loops.

The op

Reaction score
I purchased a 590 method this spring. It was one of five rods I'm my kit for my annual road trip with S&S. He had the 590 Ignitor with him and some other 5wt. I think it might have been a 590 Taylor Truth, but I can't remember what he has as it changes from year to year. I spent a lot of my time with the Method because my go to 950 One broke landing a fat hatchery trout on the Missouri on the first couple days of the trip. Yes, a hatchery trout. Some big Eagle Lake triploids wash over the dam every spring in high water. They can be identified by deformed or missing fins. They ain't pretty but they sip mayflies just like the wild rainbows. Anyway, I cast his ignitor and although I didn't fish it, I'd have to say the method felt, lighter, crisper and faster than the Ignitor. However, the Ignitor is a fine rod and may suit some anglers better than it's predecessor. I liked the close out price tag too. I balanced the method with a Ross Evolution R loaded with a WF Rio Gold. It won't replace my one but it compliments it nicely.
I had a cast of the 590 method a few weeks back,not side by side to igniter though,,,it is a weapon,i liked it.

I dont feel that one is better than the other,they both get high linespeed done with great tip recovery,,i think the igniter is the easier to cast of the 2.

The method did feel a bit crisper in the tip but the igniter,still crisp,to me feels like it has a bit more grunt,maybe because its more easily accessible?

Last edited:

The op

Reaction score
I agree with the opening comment- however, I will apply it to the 691.

I believe a true overline choice like the Rio Grand or similar would help a beginner if they were to choose the Igniter.

What lines do you run on your 691?

osseous

Reaction score
What lines do you run on your 691?
I have......(how much time you got?)

Smooth Infiniti
Galloup Nymph
Gold
Some S.I. nymph with an orange tip
S.I. Sonar 10'
S.I. Midge tip
Rio 10' fast sink tip

.....probably a few more kicking around here someplace. The midge tip, s.i. nymph line and Smooth Infinify have seen the most time on the 691 Igniter. I also fish the 697 X out of a Watermaster or Outcast Stealth quite a bit. Those boats exploit the timing requirements of the rod, but reward a long shooting delivery as well.

luj333

Reaction score
Going by the 590,that is easy for me to believe.
The 590 tells me that i should cast its big brother.

Did you test cast both 691 and 690?

Reading one review i read on them both it stated the 691 doesnt like rio gold as much as 690 does.

Going by reviews in the past that say something like'this rod needs a half weight over line to load properly at 25 feet',,to me usually means that with a true weight line,it wont have as much feel in close but with throw wicked high linespeed tight loops.
I didn't test cast both rods. I'm primarily using mine as a streamer rod so I don't anticipate needing to make that many short casts. I ended up putting a titan long from SA on it for floating line, but haven't really played around with many lines on it. It's one of the less used rods of the quiver right now still.

osseous

Reaction score
I am generally not a fan of overlining rods by a lot, but the 691 is one place where I may make an exception. The 791 does not encourage me to do the same.

fffl

Reaction score
on my first cast during the retrieve I give it a good stretch and good to go from then on.

peaks2creeks

Reaction score
I dont like the grand type tapers myself,but i can imagine it would be a good choice for blasting big flies in wind.

Did you choose the 5/6 or 7/8 vaya?
I went with the 5/6 for my 590... Will post up some pics when it arrives and let you know how it balances...