Douglas SKY 9'/#4 on the West Banch

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Not that the daily fishing reports were stellar but when out to dinner with our wives early last week my friend said, "Why don't we go up to the river Wednesday through Friday? Much of our bailiwick in the Delaware headwaters are too low and warm to fish; the Willowemoc, Beaverkill, most of the East Branch and the Main Stem are pushing or over 70° with the Beomoc being skeletal with gavel bars and rocks exposed soaking up the sun's heat. But with 500+ CFS being released from the West Branch's Connonsville Reservoir, the upper few miles are a chill mid 50°'s. So, I packed up three 4-weights and the next morning off we went.

The reports from the DRC's web site were honest and accurate. Flows and temps were as stated and we did indeed have an emergence of E. dorothea, little Sulphur's, whenever the cloud cover kept the sun off the water and especially in the evening until near dark. A handful of handsome big Isonychia were mixed in too but not eaten. Eaten, hmmm, herein lay the issue for this match-the-hatch dry fly man. We've enjoyed fairly high water seasons two years in a row and spawning recruitment has been very successful. That is great news but also means that the river is full of juvenile trout in the 5 - 10" size and it is my policy not to harass these youngsters by using them for target practice. So wading around in the chill flows striving to discern a bulging adult fish from aggressively feeding babies was a challenge. We were in agreement though that the magnificence of the River, its wildlife and environs was such a joy to be among that we were far better off being there than home indoors. Furthermore, I had the pleasure of fishing my Douglas SKY 9'/#4 for three days even if "catching" was not a significant part of my experience.

E19 025 W.Br. vs.jpg

I have been fishing these Douglas SKY rods for several seasons now and have written about a few of them. Fred Contaoi, their taper designer, has really outdone his talented self with this series. This is a modern example of a small company with passion combining the expertise of an experienced western designer, advanced material science...in this case a multi-modulus lay-up with a Nano silica infused resin matrix..and the top-flight Korean fabricator to produce a terrific rod. Finished in muted gun metal paint and anodized metal work with quality componentry including Torzite strippers and single foot Recoil nickel titanium guides, this rod is handsome and very light in weight. SKY's taper is medium fast progressive with a crisp but not stiff tip and ample lower taper power reserves, even in this 4-weight end of the spectrum...you should try my newest, the 6-weight if you want to experience power! The West Branch though was running cool, clear and slick with a light breeze and a 9'/#4 with medium to larger water capabilities was the optimal choice.

When I began fishing SKY#4 I tried a few different lines on it settling on RIO Gold. One of the other rods I'd packed for potential use on this trip favors SA Trout and just for my further edification, after coffee and before any possibility of a hatch I ventured onto the DRC's teaching lawn and tried both lines again, Trout first. It felt fine, light in touch and more or less smooth with no undue artifacts but I noted that leader turnover of my Delaware appropriate 15+ foot leader was a little weak and lacking in precise control. Mounting the reel with Gold illustrated a clear difference, loops were tighter and casting sensations sharper plus the leader turned over with great authority enhancing the manipulation control water of this technical type demands. Yes, Gold is some 6 grains heavier in its first 30' than Trout but such a small weight differential can not explain this. It has to be the taper proportions and weight distribution variation between the two lines that changes the song this rod sings.

A handful of times I was fooled; the rise I was expecting to be a glump turned out to be a splat. I tried not to strike but if the little fella impaled itself I gave slack and a shake to free it. I brought to net zero trout in three days fishing. But fish I did and enjoyed every minuet of it. Sure there was the traditional whisky before the late night bar burger with the companionship of an old friend following de-wadering and warming my cold toes. We hunted from head to tailout along several beautiful runs and eddys. Bald eagle soared and great blue heron silently flew. I do wish I could provide an image of a wild, plus sized brown but in its stead here is Douglas SKY 9'/#4. This light, smooth and precise fly rod was optimally suited to the habitat and conditions and a joy to cast and present with for three fine days in August.

T19 076 SKY#4 vs.jpg

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Nice post! I spent an early morning on the Neversink last week, from the reservoir down. Lots of nice casting, not a fish to be seen! Lovely country and I hope to go back for better conditions in the Willowemoc and Beaverkill. Love Livingston Manor.

czando

Reaction score
When the Douglas rods are made in Pulaski ny (near where I grew up) I will be first in line to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
When the Douglas rods are made in Pulaski ny (near where I grew up) I will be first in line to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been waiting and continue to wait and have asked this spring and have no update. They can do it but won't until they have it down perfectly. I also grasp the preference for made in America by fly fishermen for fly fishermen such as we get from Sage, T&T, some Loomis, etc. It is nevertheless worth my repeating that the S. Korean 2nd gen rod shop that builds the Douglas, Taylor, Hardy, ECHO3, Loop and many more does high end material blank fabrication up to perfectionist standards...better than some US rod shops.

ibookje

Reaction score
Rod manufacturing technically I bet the Korean made rods are as good or better than US made ones. It’s just the idea that fine rods ‘should’ be made in the US...

I think there needs to be some proper marketing to get the overseas made rods out of the ‘dark’.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
While Douglas is relatively well known in the Northeast and most fly fishers are aware of the brand, they seem to lack exposure and this may be why they continue the Korea fabrication (they are great rods for the money). A more expensive rod may not help their sales all that much.

In addition one fly shop employee (very opinionated) mentioned that Douglas was "not doing that well" (I hope this is not true). I don't know if that's true or he has a "axe to grind". I run into the local Douglas Rep quite frequently at Fly Fishing Events and TU functions. He was once a fly shop employee that made the move to Douglas. He always has time for conversation and always has rods available to cast. Good guy! I like their rods both SKY and DXF.

On a side note; The Dorothea hatch on the West Branch can be very tough .... makes you appreciate the "April Greys" and M Browns. John Gierach had a funny line after finally catching and releasing a very difficult fish he cast to for a couple of hours. "I wanted to kill and eat the SOB just to remove it from the gene pool"!

okaloosa

Reaction score
last time I fished the west branch was 1975 when I had 1/50th of the knowledge I have now. Back then I thought you had to fish dries no matter what the fish were doing. ..I would love to hit the river with some big streamers!....back then you could drive for miles and not see one fisherman....

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
last time I fished the west branch was 1975 when I had 1/50th of the knowledge I have now. Back then I thought you had to fish dries no matter what the fish were doing. ..I would love to hit the river with some big streamers!....back then you could drive for miles and not see one fisherman....
I lived in Binghamton, about an hour from the West Branch from 1972 to 1977. At that time hardly anyone fished there or even on the East Branch because NYC kept the flows so low that the fishery was very spotty.

They started increasing the flows after tons of pressure from anglers, but that coincided with my move west. I drove over both those rivers many times on my way to and from the Beaverkill and Willowemoc.

I have not been back to New York since moving, but I might not have moved if I knew what the Delaware system was going to become.

Don

okaloosa

Reaction score
I lived in Binghamton, about an hour from the West Branch from 1972 to 1977. At that time hardly anyone fished there or even on the East Branch because NYC kept the flows so low that the fishery was very spotty.

They started increasing the flows after tons of pressure from anglers, but that coincided with my move west. I drove over both those rivers many times on my way to and from the Beaverkill and Willowemoc.

I have not been back to New York since moving, but I might not have moved if I knew what the Delaware system was going to become.

Don
I lived in Bingoland from 1971 to 1979....we probably ate speedies at the same bars and saw Jaws in the same movie theater...we also probably shopped at the ORIGINAL Dick's Sporting goods when it was still a single location family owned store! ;)
I used to fish both branches of the delaware ....I seem to remember practically being able to walk across the west branch right below the dam so the water must have been low.
Now I live exactly 197 miles south of you in Colorado and I would NEVER trade the fly fishing here for the Catskill fishing i remember in the late 60's and early 70's....
norm

falcon53

Reaction score
I worked in Binghamton off and on for at least 3 years. Stayed in the Equinunk PA area and was home from work by 4 PM afterwards fished almost every evening. Got to know the Upper Delaware pretty good. I tried spedies from the original place in Endwell. However the best spedie place in my opinion was in Vestal down by Binghamton Univ.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I worked in Binghamton off and on for at least 3 years. Stayed in the Equinunk PA area and was home from work by 4 PM afterwards fished almost every evening. Got to know the Upper Delaware pretty good. I tried spedies from the original place in Endwell. However the best spedie place in my opinion was in Vestal down by Binghamton Univ.
I was a photographer at the Press and Sun-Bulletin from 72-77 but I don’t remember a spedie place next to our plant on the Vestal Parkway.

I’m guessing your time in Bingo was later than mine and the Delaware Branches would have been prime fishing.

Don

falcon53

Reaction score
I was a photographer at the Press and Sun-Bulletin from 72-77 but I don’t remember a spedie place next to our plant on the Vestal Parkway.

I’m guessing your time in Bingo was later than mine and the Delaware Branches would have been prime fishing.

Don
The spedie restaurant as I recall was near to Nirchi's Pizza (good pizza) on the Vestal Parkway..