Cabela's Rod Warranty

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw a post on Facebook that said Cabela's rod warranty that said: "Cabelas warranty on fly rods is now 60 days. Break a Cabelas rod after 60 days and you are out of luck. They will not repair or replace. That is the most pitiful excuse for gear warranty that I’ve ever heard of in my life".

I thought that was pretty pathetic so I went over to the Cabela's site and found this link, which basically says they will warranty a rod from 90 days of purchase with original receipt. Cabela's Rod Warranty & Fly Rod Warranty Policy - First Quarter Finance

So my question is, why would anyone buy a fly rod from Cabela's?

TristianSutton

Reaction score
The old cgr glass was a good glass rod for the price, made a great rod for my small pond boat. They rods were decent quality before BPS buyout happened

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

flytie09

Reaction score
It’s a shame. I own 2x Cabelas rods and they’re my last I’m afraid.

westcoast

Reaction score
"Cabela’s used to offer a lifetime guarantee on all Cabela’s brand products. Meaning, if you purchased a Cabela’s brand fishing rod and it broke or malfunctioned under normal wear and tear, you could return it for a new one at no charge. But, after Cabela’s was bought by Bass Pro Shops in 2017, it discontinued this store policy, store associates said"

I wonder if you still get lifetime warranty if you bought it prior to the Bass Pro buyout.

TristianSutton

Reaction score
"Cabela’s used to offer a lifetime guarantee on all Cabela’s brand products. Meaning, if you purchased a Cabela’s brand fishing rod and it broke or malfunctioned under normal wear and tear, you could return it for a new one at no charge. But, after Cabela’s was bought by Bass Pro Shops in 2017, it discontinued this store policy, store associates said"

I wonder if you still get lifetime warranty if you bought it prior to the Bass Pro buyout.
Not from what I heard

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score

I seriously doubt you will have any luck with that. Please read their current warranty:

"Most items purchased at Cabela’s, including fishing and fly rods, are covered by the Cabela’s Legendary Guarantee. This ensures that customers can return or exchange items within 90 days of purchase with the original receipt. So, essentially that’s Cabela’s rod warranty. Cabela’s fly rod warranty falls under the same umbrella. Extended warranties for fishing and fly rods are not currently available at Cabela’s but may be offered by the rod’s manufacturer. For more information, see below".

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
So my question is, why would anyone buy a fly rod from Cabela's?
I would, but with a qualifier.

I agree it's a lame warranty, yet I doubt anyone is going to get hurt to badly knowing that going in who buys a sixty nine dollar glass rod and gets out to use it right away. Barring user error, most rods that are going to break from a factory defect will do so early on. So just don't get bored in November and buy a CGR that won't see the light of day until May.

We all say we want the price of rods to fall and that we don't need training wheel warranties that only protect folks that abuse their equipment, so maybe this will start the warranty pendulum to swing in the other direction. ( We should be careful what we wish for, we might get it! )

Anyway, I have a LST, LSi and a CGR. If anyone of them broke tomorrow I'd be bummed for a moment but then come to my senses and remember all the good times and fish I'd caught with them and that cumulatively those three rods cost just a tick under $300.00. Which is just about equal to one nights stay at a hotel that I've frequented near the fish.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be in a rush to buy any of their or Bass Pro's top end rods at full retail. But then with Cabela's top end rods, you can find equal or superior performing models at nearly the same price points from most of the companies that market Korean rods, so there's that.

I doubt anyone here remembers Pro brand fly rods from the late 80's. The were an IM6 rod, blank made in China, wrapped in the U.S. and sold through fly shops at around $100.00. They were burgundy in color, had wood spacers, decent looking wraps and a good guide set, carried an over the counter lifetime warranty and had actions that were on the fast side of medium fast. Kind of like a slightly stiffer version of an IMX. They sold like hot cakes and most blew up in first couple of outings. The company was great about their warranty replacements, that is, until the were suddenly gone. Phone disconnected, company belly up, to bad, so sad, bye-bye.

Caveat Emptor

jayr

Reaction score
Cabela's will still sell rods no matter what their warranty is, primarily due to their price point and the fact that the average Cabela's customer either does not have a local fly shop or they are buying on price only. The last time I went into one of their stores, the availability of higher end rods (Sage, St. Croix, etc.) had diminished dramatically.

Cabela's has changed dramatically from the days the family owned and controlled it. The family then sold the majority of their interest and the company went public. This was prior to Bass Pro buying them. When the family owned it, Cabela's had one of the best warranties in the business. It was pretty much for the life of the product. Once the bean counters bought it, this changed. BP has continued this it appears.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
It is definitely not what we are accustomed to in a fly rod warranty. They also sell name branded rods with good to excellent warranties for those willing to pay what a fly rod normally costs. I loved shopping Cabela's for decades but it is what it is now. Post merger they are just big box retail. 60 days money back guarantee is very normal for big box. After that you are left with the manufacturers warranty, unless you chose to buy the cheapest import item they sell which likely has none. I'm surprised Cabela's doesn't offer to sell an extended warranty. They are a rip off but some people desire them.

Leviathan311

Reaction score
I have a Cabela's LST 6 wt, that I bought a while back. I didn't know about this warranty issue.
At least I now have an excuse to buy a new rod, and have the Cabela's be a back up... :D

karstopo

Reaction score
What do most warranties rod repairs run money wise these days, including shipping? Isn’t around $50 or maybe a little more?

I wouldn’t take a chance on a pricier Cabelas rod, but I’d still probably get a CGR for $69 or less regardless of the warranty, not that I’m in the market for one. I have several CGRs and they are durable.

But, yes, no way would I buy a Cabelas brand rod for $200-300 or more (do they have Cabelas brand rods that expensive?) if the only available warranty was a 60-90 day type. Pretty much all the competition offers a long term, relatively low cost warranty at that price point.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
What do most warranties rod repairs run money wise these days, including shipping? Isn’t around $50 or maybe a little more?

I wouldn’t take a chance on a pricier Cabelas rod, but I’d still probably get a CGR for $69 or less regardless of the warranty, not that I’m in the market for one. I have several CGRs and they are durable.

But, yes, no way would I buy a Cabelas brand rod for $200-300 or more (do they have Cabelas brand rods that expensive?) if the only available warranty was a 60-90 day type. Pretty much all the competition offers a long term, relatively low cost warranty at that price point.
Yes they still have Cabela's branded fly rods rods in the $200-300 range. The warranty is pretty much as stated on this thread. 90 days no questions asked with receipt. After that a lifetime warranty against manufacturers defects only. That means you are out of luck if you bust a tip section and there is no buying your way out of it for $50. There is a long list of better choices in that price range.

trev

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is the lowest cost rod with a no questions lifetime guarantee?
How many other companies sell a rod with no guarantee at or below that price?

Just my opinion, but most rod companies build the guarantee cost into the retail price and you prepay for those future repairs over the counter when you buy the rod.
No body in the world works for free, but if you pay that $100 extra at purchase time and never use the guarantee because the rod lives the next 40 years in a closet like most do; then you have paid for 50 repairs to the 'guy that fishes every day's rod. It is kind of like a scam and selling insurance as a guarantee.

Also believe that if you can't find a manufacturing defect in 90 days, there isn't one. period. It is unrealistic to believe that any manufacturer of any product is ever going to include a guarantee against maltreatment or stupidity free of charge.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Out of curiosity what is the lowest cost rod with a no questions lifetime guarantee?
How many other companies sell a rod with no guarantee at or below that price?

Just my opinion, but most rod companies build the guarantee cost into the retail price and you prepay for those future repairs over the counter when you buy the rod.
No body in the world works for free, but if you pay that $100 extra at purchase time and never use the guarantee because the rod lives the next 40 years in a closet like most do; then you have paid for 50 repairs to the 'guy that fishes every day's rod. It is kind of like a scam and selling insurance as a guarantee.

Also believe that if you can't find a manufacturing defect in 90 days, there isn't one. period. It is unrealistic to believe that any manufacturer of any product is ever going to include a guarantee against maltreatment or stupidity free of charge.
I agree with all of that, provided you get the rod on the water 10 times during those first few months. The fly rod warranty structure is pretty ridiculous and the major manufacturers were all complicit in "spoiling us" by allowing us to pay for other's carelessness. Echo and TFO come to mind as two alternatives in the $2-300 range. They will treat you like you paid $800. At that price point I want to be able to buy a new tip if something bad happens. Cabela's has not repaired rods, or sold replacement parts for some time now. They have sold some sub $100 rods for years that many of us here enjoy. I'm good with throwing that rod in the trash if I screw up.

trev

Reaction score
Many rods can be repaired at home or locally for less than postage to China or where ever.
I guess I've broken maybe 10-20 fly rods over the 40+ years I've been using them and all were my fault. slammed in doors, left where they could be stepped on etc. I used to be in a hurry always and that led to being careless and that led to a new rod or a repair. I've had graphite rods seemingly explode for no apparent reason, but the experts say that is a result of prior impacts, such as banging a tree or hitting the rod with a beadhead etc.
Fibers and resin are not going to have defects other than cosmetic that get out of the factory. Won't happen. The thread may be defective or the chrome or paint might peel but I have never seen either.
Personally I won't buy any thing that has a guarantee, other than a 90 day return. Simply because I figure that it is a rip off.

karstopo

Reaction score
So does that mean a Cabelas rod at $250 is really more like a $300 or $350 rod from one of the many other manufacturers that cover accidental breakage?

I get that no fault rod insurance costs get put into the initial purchase price. There’s probably an actuarial table that calculates the return rate of fly rods so that the maker can know just how many dollars to tack on to the price tag and or repair/replacement fee. But since Cabelas isn’t going to offer that no fault long term replacement on their brand rods are they offering a better rod at a reduced price or just making an effort at upping the profit margin?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
So does that mean a Cabelas rod at $250 is really more like a $300 or $350 rod from one of the many other manufacturers that cover accidental breakage?

I get that no fault rod insurance costs get put into the initial purchase price. There’s probably an actuarial table that calculates the return rate of fly rods so that the maker can know just how many dollars to tack on to the price tag and or repair/replacement fee. But since Cabelas isn’t going to offer that no fault long term replacement on their brand rods are they offering a better rod at a reduced price or just making an effort at upping the profit margin?
They've gotten it right now and then. I'd do a lot of research before I dropped that much coin on a Cabela's rod. Then I'd likely buy an ECHO or TFO anyway because they have earned considerable trust in fly rods, and the rules seem stable.

justahack

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly,why would anyone buy a cabelas fly rod.
I bought 3 CGRs because they were $40 each on sale and are a heck of a lot of fun to fish. They are very durable. Even if I could break one, the cost of replacement would be about the same as the warranty fee for replacing or repairing my Winston, Sage, or Scott rods. Couple that with a lack of initial investment and those CGRs make a fair bit of financial sense. So long as they also fish well enough, that is. The CGRs fish just fine. I use them almost exclusively for close-to-home panfish, bass, and carp. I’m not interested in Cabelas graphite fly rods. I would prefer to support companies that focus on fly rod design for those toys.

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Fibers and resin are not going to have defects other than cosmetic that get out of the factory. Won't happen.
Actually, it has happened at least once. I bought an 8-wt Maxcatch rod. When it arrived I took it in my yard and tried it out using an appropriate line and a bit of yarn - no beadhead, no hook even. On the third cast the section next to the tip snapped. It is the only rod I have ever broken since I started fly fishing about 50 years ago.

Oh, I did have a Cabelas rod get broken, a 3 piece 7 ft 5-wt CGR, I had leaned it against something in the garage, and the wind or one of the cats must have knocked it over. My daughter drove in and ran over it. Interestingly, only the middle section was broken. I liked that rod so much I bought a new one (I think it was $60). Now I have spare tip and handle sections.

Speaking of broken rods, I bought one at a yard sale for $5 (I actually wanted the reel and rod case that came with it). I fixed the rod section with an internal splint (made from an old spincasting rod that I found), carpet thread, and lots of epoxy. It looks a mess but casts fine for bass fishing from a kayak. Good for lending to friends who want to try fly fishing.