Wright & McGill Eagle Claw "Panfish" 7' fly rod

biofly

Reaction score
If anyone can dig info up on this I would appreciate it. I have spent a solid 2-3 hours and have been completely skunked, not even a picture or model name..... PS first post so I hope the pictures upload. Again it a Wright & McGill Eagle Claw "Panfish" 7' fly rod. 2 piece.

Attachments

biofly

Reaction score
You are the man ArcherA. Thanks a ton! I found quite a bit on the square version as well but nothing relating to the round version I posted. The last link you posted is the only other post I've seen with an actual round version other than mine. I picked this one up pretty cheap to use as a small trout rod. Kinda took a chance on it not knowing much but I think it will turn out just fine.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Join Fiberglass fly rodders, Those Wright Mcgill fly rods are nice rods and are still made, I have one, anyway the guys there collect them.

Good luck! and no reason not to fish that thing.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I have two 6'6" W&M Feather Lights. One from 1963, the other from '67
They're the original featherlight model that EagleClaw still makes today. In continuous production since 1962
...They cast much better too :D Not a lot of value, but very usable

I suspect from the spacing of the guides on your rod, it's not exactly a "top-of-the-line"

The '67

reels 001.jpg

ArcherA

Reaction score
You are the man ArcherA. Thanks a ton! I found quite a bit on the square version as well but nothing relating to the round version I posted. The last link you posted is the only other post I've seen with an actual round version other than mine. I picked this one up pretty cheap to use as a small trout rod. Kinda took a chance on it not knowing much but I think it will turn out just fine.
Might pick something like that up myself to play with the perch and crappie off my dock (replace my dock demon :) ).

trev

Reaction score
The white? color is unusual. Is that a solid glass or nylon rod or hollow?
In the brown rods it seems to me that the various grades/names were all on the same blanks just using better hardware and/or finish and more guides as the price went up, but I'm not an expert on them. I have read some place that this book gives the best history of W&M; " Wings upon the water: A fisherman's legacy" by Lee McGill (a grandson iirc)

biofly

Reaction score
I believe this is a sold glass rod. I bit heavy for what I wanted but it casts like butter.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
If it was a 1950s Wright&McGill Panfish, it could very well be solid glass
But as it's an EagleClaw, it's too "new" (late '60s ?) to be solid.
No one was making solid glass rods at that time.

trev

Reaction score
W&M registered the Eagle Claw Trademark in 1938, don't know when they started putting it on rods, think they only got into rods after the War; but the branding was available to them from the start of their rod business.
I've had solid crappie rods that I believe were new in mid '60s although I didn't buy them new.