Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Need a better small stream rod

I don't have any pics of the stream I fish, but imagine me on my knees in the water having to do a side arm roll cast because of the trees. Hence the need for such a small rod. I am working on getting a Phillipson 6' for cheap to see if I like glass.

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    I don't have any pics of the stream I fish, but imagine me on my knees in the water having to do a side arm roll cast because of the trees. Hence the need for such a small rod. I am working on getting a Phillipson 6' for cheap to see if I like glass.
    If you can get a Phillipson cheap, good luck. They are great rods. Phillipson rods are one of the most sought after glass fly rods today.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

3. Default Re: Need a better small stream rod

I thought this was a good place to jump in and say hello. I was perusing the internet looking for reviews on fly rods and ran across this forum. I happened upon this thread. Pszy22 I read your reply and clicked on the link you posted and wound up buying a 7 1/2' 3 wt. li'l streamer. Then I joined the forum. If I like this rod, I may go back and buy a 5'. Either way I will post my opinion of the rod. I am anxious to see some more posts on this rod.

Out of all my rods, my favorite is a Heddon glass rod that my dad bought around 1950 and put a lot of miles on it. He started me to fly fishing with that rod when I was about 8 y.o. and I am still using it. In fact I caught some bluegill on it yesterday for dinner last night.

4. Default Re: Need a better small stream rod

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    If you can get a Phillipson cheap, good luck. They are great rods. Phillipson rods are one of the most sought after glass fly rods today.
    Gotta second Mojo here, there are no cheap Phillipsons anymore.

DixieJack, if your looking for a sweet 5' rod for small stream work, take a look at the new Hardy 5' 2wt glass rod. Talk about sweet. Even though this rod is glass, it's very light weight, and has a carbon scrim.
    There's nothing like a short ultralight glass fly rod for small stream work.

J.
    http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

Ultralight fly fishing guru

I have a 7' Redington 3wt Butter Stick, which is glass and its really nice rod. They make 6' in the 3wt and a 6'2" in a 2wt that might be good for what you need. I like my Butter Stick a lot for small streams.

Bob

I have the Redington Butterstick 6'2" 2 wt. I really like it for the streams I fish which sound about as overgrown as yours.

For really small ones, I use a St Croix 6' 2 wt. Imperial.

Next up in size would be a 7'6" 1 wt. or 2 wt. Lots of manufacturers make them in this size - Cabela's, Orvis, Redington, etc.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

I know ya won't believe this, but... Eagle Claw Featherlight, 6'6", 3/4 wt. Perfect for what you're doing. If you get a little rough with it and break it, for $29.00 you're not out much. Or if you hate it... but I can almost guarantee you won't hate it.

9. Likes trs, jtt911 liked this post

6-1/2 year old thread has legs!

11. Likes photoguy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12