Need a better small stream rod

KRD

Reaction score
I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?

KRD

Reaction score
Thanks. On the Graphite I was not sure if getting a fast action rod would help, but I think I am gonna go glass.

GRN

Reaction score
For $99 the LL Bean Streamlight 3wtscome 5'9" & 6'6", both cast nice, bend deep for short loads, and come with a 100% satisfaction guaranty.

pszy22

Reaction score
I have a WWGrigg 6' 3wt rod that I use not. The stream that I fish in no wider that 6-7 feet (during snow runoff), with tons of trees overhanging.
I have to roll cast everything with very little line out. My rod just does not seem to load that great. It is pretty stiff.

So I am looking for something no longer that 6'6", prefer 6'. Really want Should I go fiberglass or graphite. There is a lot of rock crawling and I have to throw my rod so I can use both hands to get around sometimes. So I'm not wanting to spend big money on it.

Any ideas?
Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"

ksbrowntrout2

Reaction score
SCOTT F!!! they are pretty expensive for glass though They run around 525$They would do great. ( they have a 6 foot 6 2 weight)

I also like the Hardy Glass rod, that runs around 300 (They have a 6 foot 3 weight)

There are other good glass rods out there, but those are my personal favorites.

FlyDog

Reaction score
Maybe one of these -

global dorbeR group - brunsell "li'l streamer"
I'll second that.

I got the "li'l streamer" in a 5' 5wt. as my clueless transition rod from ultra lite spinning to fly fishing. I only used it a few times before I learned this was not the proper tool for learning to flyfish.
That being said, that rod is a kick to fish on small streams as described by the OP. A well made rod with really good feel to it.
My only problem was I had to keep my wife nearby to keep removeing the flies from the back of my shirt.:redface:

jkurtz7

Reaction score
I think short light line glass rods are great for small stream fishing. They load in close. Mojo mentioned South Fork Rods for a glass rod, that's a great place to look, as Dave's prices are really good. McFarland Rod Co., Steffen Bros, and Performance Fly Rods, are other good places to look for top of the line glass rods.

J.

tpn11

Reaction score
for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents

mojo

Reaction score
for an inexpensive option, i love my Cabelas Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt

packs up decent in three pieces...for the price it is a great backup rod or small stream rod

never had an issue with flies as small as midges or throwing size 8 woolly buggers as well

just my 2 Cents
But it's a foot+ longer than he wants.

KRD

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of the stream I fish, but imagine me on my knees in the water having to do a side arm roll cast because of the trees. Hence the need for such a small rod. I am working on getting a Phillipson 6' for cheap to see if I like glass.

mojo

Reaction score
I don't have any pics of the stream I fish, but imagine me on my knees in the water having to do a side arm roll cast because of the trees. Hence the need for such a small rod. I am working on getting a Phillipson 6' for cheap to see if I like glass.
If you can get a Phillipson cheap, good luck. They are great rods. Phillipson rods are one of the most sought after glass fly rods today.

Dixiejack

Reaction score
I thought this was a good place to jump in and say hello. I was perusing the internet looking for reviews on fly rods and ran across this forum. I happened upon this thread. Pszy22 I read your reply and clicked on the link you posted and wound up buying a 7 1/2' 3 wt. li'l streamer. Then I joined the forum.:icon_bigg If I like this rod, I may go back and buy a 5'. Either way I will post my opinion of the rod. I am anxious to see some more posts on this rod.

Out of all my rods, my favorite is a Heddon glass rod that my dad bought around 1950 and put a lot of miles on it. He started me to fly fishing with that rod when I was about 8 y.o. and I am still using it. In fact I caught some bluegill on it yesterday for dinner last night.

jkurtz7

Reaction score
If you can get a Phillipson cheap, good luck. They are great rods. Phillipson rods are one of the most sought after glass fly rods today.
Gotta second Mojo here, there are no cheap Phillipsons anymore.

DixieJack, if your looking for a sweet 5' rod for small stream work, take a look at the new Hardy 5' 2wt glass rod. Talk about sweet. Even though this rod is glass, it's very light weight, and has a carbon scrim.
There's nothing like a short ultralight glass fly rod for small stream work.

J.

rwmiller

Reaction score
I have a 7' Redington 3wt Butter Stick, which is glass and its really nice rod. They make 6' in the 3wt and a 6'2" in a 2wt that might be good for what you need. I like my Butter Stick a lot for small streams.

Bob

plecain

Reaction score
For really small ones, I use a St Croix 6' 2 wt. Imperial.

Next up in size would be a 7'6" 1 wt. or 2 wt. Lots of manufacturers make them in this size - Cabela's, Orvis, Redington, etc.

supgen

Reaction score
I know ya won't believe this, but... Eagle Claw Featherlight, 6'6", 3/4 wt. Perfect for what you're doing. If you get a little rough with it and break it, for $29.00 you're not out much. Or if you hate it... but I can almost guarantee you won't hate it.