Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sage SP vs Winston LT?

Anybody have experience with these two rod actions, especially in the 5 piece configuration? I'm keeping my eye out for for SP 589-5 or 389-5, but the LT seems a little easier to come by in the 589-5 and 383-5.

I have the SP 489-5 and really love the action, but I've never owned or even gotten to cast a Winston, so I'm not sure how close the SP is to the Winston "feel." Thanks for the input!

Default Re: Sage SP vs Winston LT?

Rather, I would say the LT is the closest Winston came to a Sage feel during that period- I own the 589 and 483LT, and got them because they were the quickest Winstons ever made up until that time. Still nice, crisp action dry fly rods.

I only have an SP+ in an 8wt, so I can't really make an apples to apples comparison for you within the line classes. Probably the spot where the two companies were closest at the time, however-

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes Ard, nuchamps5 liked this post

I have an SP 589-5 and it is a really nice rod. I have only cast one Winston but do not remember the model. It was contemporary with Sage's SLT rods. When the 5 pc SPs come up on Ebay they usually sell for a good price, especially those with an extra tip.

Yeah, they don't come up too often, it seems! I missed out on a couple recently but I think I'll see one eventually. Glad to hear another endorsement of the 589-5, though!

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    Rather, I would say the LT is the closest Winston came to a Sage feel during that period- I own the 589 and 483LT, and got them because they were the quickest Winstons ever made up until that time. Still nice, crisp action dry fly rods.

I only have an SP+ in an 8wt, so I can't really make an apples to apples comparison for you within the line classes. Probably the spot where the two companies were closest at the time, however-

Thanks! Would you say the other Winstons you've cast are slower/softer than the LT, then?

Quote Originally Posted by nuchamps5 View Post
    Thanks! Would you say the other Winstons you've cast are slower/softer than the LT, then?
    Until recently, for sure. The BIIIX was a breakthrough in speed for them in a trout rod (which I didn't really care for). I am far more of a Sage guy though- so don't take my knowledge or recollection of Winston's as absolute. I have dabbled in Winston's from time to time- while generally fishing the hell out of Sage

A buddy had the 5-pc. Winston LT and I found it dead feeling from too many ferrules too close together. Same with the awfull Hardy Smuggler. I've never cast the 5-pc. SP but back then ferrule design was not as sophisticated as it has become. SP was a great rod series and very smooth, especially in 2-pc. models. I still occasionally fish a 9'/#4 SP. osseous, I too have an SP+ 9'/#8, in 3-pc. I think, but I can't find it! I recall it being very fast. What line do you fish on yours?

OP, It may be hard to find but if you must have a 5-pc. for backpacking or fitting in a travel bag, there is one I found acceptable and it was inexpensive when new. Out of business Albright had a series called A-5 which included at least a 5 and 8-weight. The #5 was surprisingly good.

9. Thanks nuchamps5 thanked for this post
    Likes fly2field, AzTrouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by nuchamps5 View Post
    Anybody have experience with these two rod actions, especially in the 5 piece configuration?
    I have a Sage SP 589-5 and a 5-piece Winston LT 8'3" 4 wt. I just spent about 10 minutes casting them side-by-side on the lawn. Some observations...

Cosmetics: Ferrules--SP has tip-over-butt, LT has spigot. Grip--SP's is thinner and to me more comfortable. Overall Build Quality--Winston.

Action: It's hard to compare different weights and lengths, but to me the SP flexed deeper and felt a bit smoother. The LT cast more off the tip and felt crisper. I quickly forgot about it after a few casts, but initially both seemed a bit heavy compared to more modern rods--not surprising given their vintage plus the weight of the extra ferrule.

Other Considerations: Someone had recently posted that Sage can no longer repair the SPs--maybe not an issue if you get one with the extra tip, but a consideration. I'm not completely sure, but I believe Winston was still offering the LT as an off the menu item as recently as a year or two ago and so it's possible they'd still be in position to make repairs. But obviously call to verify.

11. Likes nuchamps5 liked this post

I fish the Winston's still- and find them very capable and crisp, actually. I loaned the 4wt to a friend this spring and he absolutely loved it. There was a trend for a while to keep a ferrule from the center of the rod to enhance feel- hence the 3 and 5 piece rods of the era... from many makers.

I haven't fished my 890 SP+ in a long time- not since the faster blue (rplxi?) came along- but I always favored the Mastery Bonefish in those days. The SP+ was a nice presentation rod in the Bahamas- it wasn't overly stiff in my recollection- delivered the fly with a little slower line speed- so a stiff wind would render it somewhat overwhelmed. Sage added a stout lower section to the ensuing series and haven't looked back- The SP+ is my bass rod now, which I have not chased in many many years- since leaving SoFla for the Rockies. It would be an excellent Carp rod, now that I think about it...Hmmmm

13. Likes sweetandsalt, fly2field, nuchamps5 liked this post

For what it is worth, I favored 3-pc. rods then and still do.

15. Likes fly2field, osseous liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast