Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 wt rods

1. Default 3 wt rods

Figured I would ask for some sage advice regarding a 3 wt. So looking specifically to pair this with a brand new reel that I was gifted by my boss.

2 3/4 inch Hardy Duchess. Was a super nice gift and very unexpected. Surprisingly I realized that I have never owned a traditional made in england Hardy reel.

Now I need to find a great rod to pair it with....

Was thinking perhaps a 389 LL or something similar.

Any suggestions of rods to go try?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Default Re: 3 wt rods

I'd go with a nice 10' 2wt- 10'6" 3wt or a nice 7' 3wt bamboo rod personally

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3. Default Re: 3 wt rods

[QUOTE=adealarcon;1457418]Figured I would ask for some sage advice regarding a 3 wt. So looking specifically to pair this with a brand new reel that I was gifted by my boss.

2 3/4 inch Hardy Duchess. Was a super nice gift and very unexpected. Surprisingly I realized that I have never owned a traditional made in england Hardy reel.

Hard to beat the Scott gs 8'9' and 8'4'.... personally have the 8'4". spectacular rod for close in work.
    New sage also looks nice - but have yet to cast it. The original LL 389 was a specal rod.

4. Likes scotty macfly, troutbum_74, locollama liked this post

My "sage advice" is to consider a Sage Dart.

I have my eye on a 7.5' 3wt.

I want something that will be able to cast in very tight places.
    -Rick Allen

6. Likes troutbum_74 liked this post
    Blog Entries

The 2 3/4" Hardy is a lovely traditional reel, it is appropriately sized for 6'6" to 7'6" 3wt rods, if you wish to remain period correct you could look toward a Winston, Orvis, or Bamboo rod...I'm a Scott fan, amongst other brands too, and I don't think the current Scott offerings match well with that reel (if looks are a factor). I'd be looking for rods with nickel silver hardware and figured wood seats to pair best with the reel. I will also offer that the majority of my early reels were all Hardy's until Abel came to market...and they all were paired with early Winston IM6 rods and were beautiful matches....similarly, many guys ran Orvis CFO's (also Hardy) and other Hardy reels on Orvis rods and various maker's Bamboo rods. If I had to choose a single rod to solely match to that specific reel, there is no doubt it would still be a Winston IM6/WT 6'6", 7' or 7'6" 3wt. If you do go this way....you will have to either seek the resale market, or hurry and do it quick as there is only one sole dealer in the United States that has the last few new WT's left (one is a 7' 3wt), as they were discontinued awhile back. Good luck on the choice !! There is absolutely worse problems to have .

8. Likes WNCtroutstalker, scotty macfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Take a look at the Scott G Series 773/4. If I didn't already have a 3 weight Scott Flex 753/4 I'd be getting this one. The Flex is paired with and Abel made CFO III and balances out nicely.

Scott Fly Rods -

Good Luck with your decision!

Denny

10. Likes scotty macfly liked this post

I agree with Outlaw's suggestion that such a reel pairs well with 6'6" to 7'6" rods. In keeping with the idea of a Duchess, what about a slower rod, a la a Scott F Series fiberglass rod? For graphite, how about a Scott GS 773, or Winston Pure 763 or 703?

12. Likes scotty macfly, troutbum_74 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by cooutlaw View Post
    The 2 3/4" Hardy is a lovely traditional reel, it is appropriately sized for 6'6" to 7'6" 3wt rods, if you wish to remain period correct you could look toward a Winston, Orvis, or Bamboo rod...I'm a Scott fan, amongst other brands too, and I don't think the current Scott offerings match well with that reel (if looks are a factor). I'd be looking for rods with nickel silver hardware and figured wood seats to pair best with the reel. If I had to choose a single rod to solely match to that specific reel, there is no doubt it would still be a Winston IM6/WT 6'6", 7' or 7'6" 3wt.
    To the OP: While I think looks (and balance) are important, especially with a light weight rod where drag strength/smoothness is not a concern, if I was in your shoes my primary considerations would be (1) what length 3 wt is most appropriate for the waters I fish?; and (2) what action do I like? No use having a great looking set-up if don't like how it casts or it's just the wrong tool. All that said, I like where cooutlaw is going--I also am a fan of the IM6/WTs and though also no longer made you might also look for a BIII LS in the 7'6" 3 wt. Another rod you might consider is the Douglas Upstream. It's a slower/more deliberate action with sort of a classic look and I think the Duchess would look great on it. They make the 3 wt in a couple of different configurations. Anyway, good luck to you--as cooutlaw said there are worse problems out there!

14. Likes jayr, scotty macfly, cooutlaw liked this post

I'll second the Douglas Upstream (I have a 7'3 3wt that's pretty fun). Also, while I've not cast one yet, I plan on picking up a Sage Dart 7'6 3wt...which might also be suitable for you depending on your budget.

I agree with the Scott fans if I were to go graphite. But since your obviously looking at softer action to mid action, have you thought pairing your Hardy reel with a Hardy Sirrus Fiberglass rod?

It's a fantastic looking rod with a fastish flex for fiberglass, made from the S2 glass. I'm seriously looking into one myself.

And as others have mentioned, bamboo and Hardy are a great combination.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

17. Likes el jefe, cooutlaw, dennyk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast