Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Yep, both the VPS and VPS Light have been discontinued. Seeing how many rods Sage has out now, I can sure understand why. With the TCR, the XP, the Xi2, the SLT, those new light ones, the FLi, the Launch, and now their VT2, I can see why they would discontinue some of the older stuff. I think they've got too many rods out now that do too much of the same stuff, but that's just me. By the way, I didn't even mention the 3+ different series of 2-handers they have out.

Ken I would guess most of the reason why that DSII does better in the wind is because its a 6wt, not because of any difference in the rods action.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

2. Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote Originally Posted by Ken43
    I guess I should have said, I have 3 DS rods and 1 DSII. I sure like them. I can't think of a good reason the wife would go for if, I tell her I need a new rod. I have a short 3-4 weight St. Croix, a 9' 5 wt. Sage, 9' 6 wt. Sage, 9' 7 wt. Sage and a 9' 9 wt. Sage. I have never used the 9 wt., I bought it at a sale when a store went out of business. I thought I might go to Alaska some day and fish for some salmon. That hasn't happened yet. May get a chance to fish for some Strippers this year with it.
    Take that nine weight up to flaming gorge and go fish the "flats" for 30-50 pound carp. They will give that rod a good flexing. Make sure you have LOTS of backing.
    All Means All

3. Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff

Ken I would guess most of the reason why that DSII does better in the wind is because its a 6wt, not because of any difference in the rods action.
    I might be wrong but the DSII seems stiffer to me. The DS series seemed slower and smoother. Maybe I am just nuts.
    All Means All

4. Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

The DSII may be stiffer. I don't have two rods the same weight, so it is hard to compare. The DSII 6 wt. was the last rod I bought. I fished it at two lakes in the Sierras that I frequent during the summer. In the afternoon the wind comes up fairly hard. The 6 wt. casts a lot better than the 5 wt, however, that is probably due to the heavier line. I never thought about the stiffness of the rod. Next time I will see if I can tell the difference. Since I got the 6 wt. I haven't fished the 5 wt. much. I have thought of maybe selling it.

5. Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

The Puget Sound Fly Company in Kent, WA still has some Sage DS2 fly rods available!! Sage is no longer producing these rods but I always found them to be one of the best rods Sage ever made, and I can recommend them highly. They’re 30% off regular price. Be sure to ask if they have 4-piece models in the weight you’re looking for. You can contact them at
    http://pugetsoundflyco.com/ Email: pugetsoundflyco@comcast.net (253) 839-4119

6. Default Re: What happened to Sage DS rods????

The thing to remember is that since they arnt being made any more and you are getting them at a closeout price, if they happen to break, Sage will upgrade you to the newer model at no additional charge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12