TFO Pro Series. Maybe a little late to ask...

vanceinak

Reaction score
Picked up a used TFO Pro Series, 9' 5wt 4pc.
Plan to use it for rainbows, dolly varden, & grayling. Rainbows & dollys will be lakes & small to mid size rivers, grayling primarily lakes.
My experience is definetly still in the rookie range. How's this rod gonna work out for me?
I had originally been thinking of buying this rod new in 4wt for the task, but took the deal on the 5.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Vance,

Your rod should be just fine. I have never heard anything really bad about this brand of fly rod and would expect it to be as good as any that I own regardless of makers mark. I use 5, 6, & 7 weights for the same type of fishing that you are talking about and all are perfect for the task. For me length is more of an issue than weight. Some of the streams I fish require a short rod while larger rivers and creeks are good with a 8 or 9' rig.

if you are fishing still water 9' will suit the purpose as well ans any, hope you got a good deal :)

Ard

P.S. With the weather the way it is I guess we won't be having that cup of coffee or fishing Anchor for a while huh?

vanceinak

Reaction score
Thanks Ard.
Yeah that cup of coffee may be down the road a ways! A balmy -9 at my place this morning.
Did you ever hear from the biologist on your question on the lack of fish in the streams up in Turnigan pass?

Joni

Reaction score
I have the 10' model. Great rod and warranty. Unfortunately I have had to use the warranty twice for a break in the same area, but, going on a year now with no break....WOHOO.

It is a great rod and I have cast big flies with it. It is however a medium action. Stay low and it works good in wind.

I think you will be mildly surprised, and like it allot.

Jimmie

Reaction score
If that's your only rod the 5 wt. is going to be a better all around than the 4 wt. Here's something to ask the guys at the shop. The guys lined my reel to be used on my TFO with a Rio Grand. It's 1/2 wt overlined automatically for the fast action of the TFO professional. Congrats on your rod.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Vance,

I think that TFO has built their reputation on the 9' 5wt rod. It is one rod I always recommend for a beginner.

Hi Jimmie,

I don't think I would be using a Plus line on it though. It is not what I would call a fast action and a standard weight line is what I would use. Assuming that the new Pro cast like the older models. That doesn't mean that a Plus line won't work. Especially if you are nymphing a lot.

Frank

Joni

Reaction score
I am with you Frank. It is definitely not fast action. In fact I like Windcutter II. It is 1/2 size smaller at the front. Just my choice.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hi Jimmie,

I don't think I would be using a Plus line on it though. It is not what I would call a fast action and a standard weight line is what I would use. Assuming that the new Pro cast like the older models. That doesn't mean that a Plus line won't work. Especially if you are nymphing a lot.

Frank
Whoops.
Disregard what I said and go with Frank and Joni. They have a ton of experience.
I thought that I might have gotten a song and dance from the fly shop since they were out of the line that I wanted, Rio Gold, in my wt.

Dag-gummit...........I can't keep anything straight today. I don't even own a TFO Professional, LOL.... It's a TFO Jim Teeny, and is fast action. My apologies Vance, and everyone. Now I have to apologize to the fly shop for thinking bad thoughts........dag-burnit. Glad that I checked.

Last edited:

FrankB2

Reaction score
I'll toss in my 2 cents regarding line weight. The only thing that a 4 will do better than a 5 (In terms of fishing), is present a fly more delicately. That does NOT mean that a 5 isn't a delicate rod. A 4wt might also be less work in terms of casting after a long day, but some 5's can be as easy to cast as some 4wt's: it depends on whether it's a stiff 4wt compared with a moderate 5wt. That's all junk you can worry about down the road, however. Even though it's cold right now, you can take your 5wt into the backyard and practice casting. Practice for accuracy, then into the wind, with the wind, and distance. When the temperature goes high enough for fishing, you'll be set in terms of getting the fly on target. ;) You can buy a cheap line to practice with. If there's snow on the ground, it won't bother your good line. Grab one of the Allen lines in the forums Classifieds for $12. Posters report that they like them, and that's about as affordable as it gets.

nerka

Reaction score
Picked up a used TFO Pro Series, 9' 5wt 4pc.
Plan to use it for rainbows, dolly varden, & grayling. Rainbows & dollys will be lakes & small to mid size rivers, grayling primarily lakes.
My experience is definetly still in the rookie range. How's this rod gonna work out for me?
I had originally been thinking of buying this rod new in 4wt for the task, but took the deal on the 5.
For this stuff I like my TFO Finesse in a 7'9" 3wt. The warranty on them is very good, and the value of this brand is nice. I own 3 different TFOs.

You will probably like the rod a lot. The 9ft length will allow you some extra range and plenty of muscle for some of the hawgs down there.

I managed a 40inch pike on my 3wt in an accidental catch on the Newhalen River, with the swift water and respectable size of the fish it was a real challenge but the little one held up well.

bent rod

Reaction score
TWO PROBLEMS SO FAR WITH TFO RODS.

1) stripping guide ring came apart--corroded from use in salt water.
This was on a Jim Teeny 9' 9 wt. Rod rinsed after every trip.

2) cork on above rod started to come apart. Factory replaced it.
Same thing is happening to replaced rod after using about 20 times.. Feels like grit.

Yet, I still like the rods for their casting ability.

vanceinak

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.
Sounds like most folks speak highly of them . It should be here around the end of the week so we will see...
My current "nice" rod is a 8'6" 6wt "White River Conservationist" that I picked up used last spring. What little fishing I did last year was with it, so we'll see how they compare.
Thanks again for the input all.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Vance,

when spring gets here :worthy: we will get together and I'll bring some rods and reels. You can try some of what I have to see if you think one is better than the other. I have some in 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 weights. Some are bamboo some are graphite but to me all the wood feels the same except the little flea rod, and all the graphite seems the same just different weights. They all seem to cast well so I am sure the rod you just bought will work just fine.

Ard

darwin

Reaction score
I have a TFO Pro 9' 4# and a TFO Pro 10' 5# and I love them both. I have rods from Cabelas, Sage, St. Croix and Scierra. I take them all when I go out fishing, but usually I only use the TFO's. The 10' is my favorite for nymphing and the 9' for dry flies. Simples, you did good ;)

nerka

Reaction score
TWO PROBLEMS SO FAR WITH TFO RODS.

1) stripping guide ring came apart--corroded from use in salt water.
This was on a Jim Teeny 9' 9 wt. Rod rinsed after every trip.
This is interesting. I have a 9' 10 wt using it heavily the last few seasons, especially in tidal water with lots of glacial silt. I havent had an issue, I am wondering how you store them and if you live in the salt water environment.
2) cork on above rod started to come apart. Factory replaced it.
Same thing is happening to replaced rod after using about 20 times.. Feels like grit.
Cork seems to be the weakest link in all rod asthetics.
Yet, I still like the rods for their casting ability.
I own 4. They have met my casting needs and the only issue I have ever had involved a car door. The warranty deparment has been quite helpful. Throw in the price and I have been very content with TFO.

vanceinak

Reaction score
Well my new toy came in the mail today & looks like a beauty. It is as new except that you can see a little handleing on the cork. All in all I'm tickled!!!:D
Now I just need to wait a few months till the water gets soft...

bjweller

Reaction score
I have a 9 ft 6 wt TFO and it is a great rod. I think TFO makes great products and they tend to be a few dollars cheaper in my neck of the woods. I recently bought a 4wt Scott and was a little concerned about if it could handle a bigger fish if I happened to get into one. Saw a you tube video of a guy with a 25 inch rainbow on a 4 wt that managed just fine. I think that I have underestimated what 4, 5, and 6 wts can handle. Short answer is I think you've got a fine rod there and it will do what you want it to.

Bret

Brewmaster

Reaction score
Whoops.
Disregard what I said and go with Frank and Joni. They have a ton of experience.
I thought that I might have gotten a song and dance from the fly shop since they were out of the line that I wanted, Rio Gold, in my wt.

Dag-gummit...........I can't keep anything straight today. I don't even own a TFO Professional, LOL.... It's a TFO Jim Teeny, and is fast action. My apologies Vance, and everyone. Now I have to apologize to the fly shop for thinking bad thoughts........dag-burnit. Glad that I checked.
Jimmie,

Definitely apologize to the fly shop - they gave you great assistance. I had the Rio Gold on a couple of TFO Jim Teeney rods,and the soft Rio Gold line coating will NOT stand up to regular use on a fast rod. I switched to the SA-GPX and have had no further line breakdown issues (cracking, hinging, etc).
:thumbsup: