Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  9
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Default Re: Moonshine Fly Rods

Hey guys I don't have a dog in the Moonshine discussion and am still too new to the rest of the debate, though I bought second hand high end rods and spent the rest on lessons. (just not sure if they did any good yet, lol) I came across this article about Moonshine rods so thought that I would link it here as it might provide some info to the discussion here. Enjoy.

Moonshine Rods: Behind the Brand - Flylords Mag
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Quote Originally Posted by City Rat View Post
    though I bought second hand high end rods and spent the rest on lessons.
    smart man!!!!!!

3. Thanks City Rat thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by TristianSutton View Post
    At that price point the rods by fenwick, echo, orvis, reddington, syndicate, are "better" to the extent that they are not nearly as heavy as the moonshine series of rods and will resale easier if he turns out not to like it

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I would love to try a Moonshine some time but since I gave not... I use an Echo switch rod and I'm happy with it. Check out Echo rods for sure--great values in the low-to-mid price range.

Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Honestly, if I ever got a chance to cast a Moonshine rod I would jump at it as they are at a great price point and aesthetically pleasing in their design. It even looks like they have a bunch of dealers around the country one of which is about an hour from me... All of that said, I really do not need another rod, lol. I have one new rod, a Beulah spey and otherwise I've been super lucky as a newbie to get into this sport by picking up second hand Winston and Thomas and Thomas rods, mostly from guys who have decided to retire from flyfishing for health reasons.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

I have both, and believe the fenwick aetos is a better rod.
    barham

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12