#’s 4 – 8 Rods at Edison Show 2020

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Though this January’ big consumer fly fishing show lacked the glamour of any major new tackle introductions, there were, nevertheless, numerous new products that I knew about but was seeing for the first time…and a few surprises too.

Though patience and fortitude were required, there were two casting ponds available to test cast rods on. Mostly it involved standing in-line with several other rod casters seeking insight while two others showed off their talents for several minutes prior to relinquishing the “water”. Inevitably conversation sprouted up; “What’s that you got there, oh, I want to try that too”. ”Look at this gorgeous 7’/#4 bamboo rod I have here. It’s made by so-and-so artisan over at that booth. Want to try it.” Three of us said sure and when I leaned my techno-advanced super graphite in a safe spot I enjoyed the organic, old-school charm of finely crafted, pale cane, delightful to cast and a very nice small stream rod. Then I returned to the long anticipated intent of putting G-Loomis’s NRX+ 9’/#4 through some paces.

I am a continuous fisher of G-Loomis rods since the 1980’s; more accurately I might say a fan of champion of both casting and taper design, Steve Rajeff. I have included in my kit a Loomis/Rajeff 9’/#4 IMX, GLX and currently NRX (flat grey with blue wraps original) and on Friday cast NRX+ for the first perhaps not last time. I also cast Asquith in this size for direct comparison. I regard my NRX#4 to be a big water 4-weight with the reflexes and potency to direct a dry fly just where I want it regardless of distance. Its tip neither overly deflects nor ever collapses eliminating any potential loop artifacts endemic in light line rods at distance. What could be better than that? Reduce this rod’s weight by a notable amount, enhance its taper with sophisticated changes in wall thickness applying material where most needed, upgrading its Nano resin properties allowing a more carbon fiber to resin ratio, improving its guide set and aesthetic finish work too and you have…NRX+. And there is more; Matt at the Loomis booth said you have to try this new NRX+LP 8 1/2’/#4. Now the deeper flexing LP’s have never been my cup of tea but 8 ½’ rods are so, sure, rig it up. I’ve thought out loud before that LP’s taper concept might benefit from some sub-9’ models and this shorter 4-weight, all new to the NRX line-up is a winner. Here is an LP I could very happily fish right next to its NRX+ #4 sibling. I wish I could tell you about more models in heavier line weights but alas, so many rods, so little time.

Moving up a line size to 5-weights, I cast for the first time two new 9’ rods with very different personalities, both of which I liked a lot. Everyone is talking about Douglas Outdoors SKY-G, Yellowstone Angler’s anointed #1 #5. This is indeed a special rod that many are going to fall in love with. So in demand to test cast was this G that Douglas had not one but two rigged in their both to try to fulfill requests…often both were out on the pond at the same time. Here is a rod with a complex persona; its upper third has a good bit of flex smoothly transitioning into a firmer mid-section and ultimately, though slender, a significantly potent lower taper. Matched with a true to weight SA Trout line, it effortlessly loaded for cast as short as 25’ with tight loops and ample feedback of what the line was doing. Extending into the important 35 to 50’ range SKY-G exhibited a subtle but clear blend of flex-feel and building power; yes the tip bent but recovered very quickly, nothing soft with undue counter flex so nice smooth controllable loops were easily generated. At this point, despite the crumby knotless tapered leader that every line in the Show had festooned to it, I noted that this new rod easily turned over the long 10’ front taper of Trout and leader in air to facilitate, during actual angling, presentation techniques. So, now it was time for me to “show off” like everyone else on the casting pond was trying to do and see about big river distance capabilities. How much line and how far could this sub-3 oz., near weightless in hand rod hold in air and drop near the far end of the fenced in pool? As it turns out, plenty, there is a surprising amount of reserve power hidden in this rod’s slender butt section. I will learn more and post an actual review of this rod come springtime as the good folks at Douglas transported my personal SKY-G #5 and presented it to me at the Show.

[Note: Like other SKY trout rods this one has a Western style grip with composite cork rings fore and aft for long term durability and, while the cork work may not be T&T or Winston grade, it is composed of ½” compressed, low filler, above average factory quality cork and sanded smooth. Not an issue. It’s guide set, however, more important than cork, features light weight and flexible Recoil single foot guides and, a first for me among all my rods, Recoil’s brand new CERecoil super light and flexible, hard ceramic ring, stripping guide.]

Of course, I’d been aware and eagerly anticipated SKY-G for a while but a surprise to me was Rise Fishing’s “Shearwater” 9’/#5…a series of one not even on their web site yet. I am aquatinted with these East End of LI fellows and fish one of their salt rods, #7 Level Series, a super high quality to price point rod. Shearwater is a fast action “Delaware River” (big river) style rod…it even sports a small fighting butt, particularly good for leaning your rod while in a drift boat, or when you brace against a big water big boy. Shearwater’s blank, taper design from Long Island produced in S. Korea with all the Nano-resin advanced material science available and US assembled at an established shop in the mid-west with a high grade, handsome wood spacer reel seat and tipped thread wraps. Three of us took turns casting it on the pond and while this rod could cast off the tip short, it is at home beyond 35’ out to…the far fence on the pond. A light, fast, power 5-weight rod to give the big brands heartburn. Returning it to its booth we said, “We’ll take three please”.

We’ve discussed on our Forum the concept of fishing a deeper flexing and/or shorter 6-weights in what might be regarded as an obvious 5-weigtht habitat. Most of our highest regarded #6’s tend to be powerful 9’ rods with the potential to cast long with big dries, streamers or heavy nymphs, indeed my current 6-weights are all of that ilk. I like them just fine, especially when the wind kicks and the river is big. However, the significantly greater mass of the #6 line offers far more presentation control relative to 4 and 5-weight lines even on shorter casts and are capable of alighting a PMD upon the surface with potentially greater delicacy than can a super lightweight 1 – 3-weight line unfurling upon the water. Some anglers may scratch their head at this seemingly counter-intuitive thought. Rod makers are aware of this potential but also that no one is asking them for such a rod. There are a few brave exceptions though and I cast two of them.

Scott’s GS is famous for smooth, moderate flexing actions that are fun and capable. I’ve long thought that this historic design lent itself best to shorter than 9’ lengths and, though it escaped my radar until recently, an 8’8”/#6 is included in this series. This #6 possesses the nimble, smooth transitions of my 8’4”/#4 GS but on a 6-weight scale. So it approaches a medium fast action with adequate power to cast a big hopper or drake a good distance while preserving its G heritage of capable presentation of small flies in close. This is a unique and lovely rod and given the choice between this GS #6 or a Radian #5 for delicate dry fly fishing, give me the GS!
Then there is the Douglas Upstream PLUS, a 9’/#6 from their medium modulus, deeper flexing series of mostly small stream rods but the “PLUS” is more. Plus in this instance it is a 6-weight. This is a gentle feeling rod loading easily in close but with suitable potency to carry a long, true weight line in the air for further casts. It is a pale raw bamboo shade of green-gold with spigot ferrules and translucent wraps giving it a distinctive and attractive appearance. Here is a smooth casting rod that can easily be an alternate for a faster 5-weight while providing the line mass advantages of a 6-weight for aerial and on-water manipulations. “Do you sell a lot of these?”, I wanted to know. “No, and you see how nice a rod this is and we don’t know why”. Well, I know why, because fly fishers are unaware of the virtues of a “presentation six” which seems a square peg trying to fit a round hole. Nevertheless, The Scott GS, Douglas Upstream PLUS and probably Sage Trout LL 9’/#6 which I regrettably failed to test cast are three rods deserving more attention.

From esoteric #6’s let’s move on to power 6’s, and I mean Powerful. One I’ve eagerly anticipated and the other a dark horse surprise. Last season, Taylor Truth 9’/#5 rose to a core rod in my kit and, in its slowly developing series…Matthew Taylor wants to get each model just right…its 6-weight sibling is now available. This is a rod I went to the Show looking forward to giving a flex to and it did not disappoint. It has much in common with its #5 sibling; a mostly but not fully sanded matte graphite blank with the close together resin scars jut visible, dual helical stability enhancing fabrication with advanced Nano resin matrix, nickel titanium guide set, Wells grip of good cork and perfect, flat epoxy thread coatings, just the way I like them. It was mounted with an advanced prototype of Taylor’s next new reel which complimented it perfectly. Waiting in line at the pond, other casters asked, “What is that rod, I don’t recognize it?”, as they held their white labels, green sticks and other usual suspects. Truth is a pretty fast action rod but my first test cast is always how little line is needed to get it going. With about 25 - 30’ out the tip it was awake, albeit with an SA Infinity ½ heavy line. It handled the line fine but I could not help but imagine what an IT Gold could do for this rod. At the “normal” 40 – 60 distances this rod is a champ, tight, smooth loop formation comes naturally with gobs of line speed. Then I turned my head to watch a long back cast to avoid things like fences, hanging speakers, placards and other obstacles, gave a haul and hit the far pond fence. Here is a light weight, subtly elegant rod with the chops to do all a 6-weight may be asked to do. I can easily envision it in my hand on a big river in my springtime future.

I knew going into the Show that I was going to cast new Scott Sector 9’/#8. I also knew that Sector was available in 8’4” versions but did not understand why, weird I thought. Well, it’s a mistake to question the innovative mind of one of our top rod designers, Jim Bartschi. More about this when I move on to bonefish intended rods after these 6-weights but besides the 8-weight, this Sector 8’4” sub-series currently comes in #’s 6, 8 and 10. So this short saltwater #6…what is the difference between a saltwater and freshwater 6-weight?...the corrosion proof reel seat. This fast action little rod throws high line speed darts, very tight loops as far out as an angler might want. If the mending attributes of a 9’ (or longer) rod were not a concern, as in standing in a drift boat drilling a hopper or streamer at the bank, this unique rod would be a joy to fish, not only because it casts so well but it is so surprisingly light in hand due in large part to its length, it seems to have negative swing weight. For the specialty rod fan, this is a must try to believe rod.

Maybe even more so for the skiff flats fisherman where mending is never an issue. The first morning of the Show was clear and pleasant and when I asked about the Sector 9’/#8, having palm trees and conch fritters on my mind, Jim suggested I take it outside to cast on grass. Two of the Scott booth guys wanted to try it too so, as the three of us prepared to head outside, Jim said and take this 8’4”/#8 with you too which I politely but skeptically accepted. We all cast the 9’ bonefish rod first and it is a very fine rod with more in close loading, short shot potential than most flats rods. I can’t say I “felt” the multi-directional Carbon Web technology but Jim assures me of its stabilizing effect. Then we cast the 8’4”/#8 and I went first. As they tried it too they concurred with me that it was a Holy Cow moment. This rocket launcher cast just as far at least as easily as the conventional 9’ model but with tighter and more wind penetration potential shaped loops. Definitely the more interesting rod of the pair. Back at the booth Bartschi explained, “Who says a flats rod has to be 9’? The shorter rod is more efficient with far lower swing weight, just as powerful and perhaps more accurate”. And is the one of these two I definitely would be most interested in actually fishing.

I don’t do rating system comparisons but even if I wanted to, a Show is not the place to learn enough about each similar category rod to do so. I am circumstantially limed to, at best, form a preliminary impression. My question is does a given rod inspire me to develop further experience with it. If not, there is no point in my describing it here.

I was talking with Andy Mill at the Pure Fishing – Hardy booth and he encouraged me to cast the 9’/#8 Zephrus SW 4-pc., I had previously cast and liked the one piece version and this one is very fine too. It has some flex to it as did the 9’ Sector making me think Redfish as well as Bonefish rod and I found it very intuitive and effortless to cast, no learning curve involved as there undoubtedly would be with Scott’s shorter Sector. Taylor’s Truth 9’/#8 is a full-on bonefish rod with power aplenty and a sharp tip generating laser loops. Honestly, I lacked the space or time on the indoor pond to really air this rod out, it requires a wide open sparkling flat to reveal its potential. It is interesting how knowing a rod informs you of its series mate’s personalities. I love my Truth #5, covet the #6 and am fascinated by this 8-weight. Similarly, my other 9’/#5, counterpoint to Truth, is Sage’s Igniter, two rather different though top performing rods. The #5 is the only Igniter I had cast till this Show and the 8-weight was, along with Truth and Sector on my pre-Show mental list. Similarly to Truth, my 5-weight prepared me for the 8-weight Igniter with its new to Sage more fast progressive design language and, who better to talk to me about it than Peter Knox, Sages new design team lead…though Jerry Siem does show up periodically and insert his influence. Here is another powerhouse with smooth transitions and bonefish in its DNA and I’d be tempted to write that the Truth and Igniter were the most inspiring 9’/#8’s in the Show…but I can’t. I never managed to test cast the G-Loomis NRX+ #8 so I still have that one to take a good look at.

I have intentionally progressed through his report from 4-weights to #’s 5, 6 and 8’s but now I have to step back a line size. After test casting Igniter #8 and returning it to Peter with compliments he said, “You really have to try the 7-weight too and so I did. It was just terrific, an immediate, oh, this is a sweet spot moment. When I fish bonefish I like to have a #7, 2 8’s and 9-weight rigged with differing lines and flies and this Igniter #7 would be my clear choice over the 8-weight.

With deep regrets, Stickman Rods was not present at the Show as I had hoped. I would have loved to not only visit with Akos but to have included reports on some of his rods as well as the above models. He does, afterall, build the other brilliant 7-weight, T7.

cooutlaw

Reaction score
Thanks S&S, as always an informative and insightful overview of the show and some nice reviewing of some intriguing rod opportunities. I'm glad you were able to become more familiar with a few of the rods on your radar that you had interest in sampling. It's always great to be pleasantly surprised by some offerings that we all might have dismissed for whatever reason as well. Some of my favorite rods have often been those I would have overlooked had I not stumbled upon them by chance and given them a second look, often they have filled a niche perfectly for the demands I might not have originally considered them for....glad I did. Sounds like it was, as usual, a productive show for you.....now...go rest your feet and back.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
So, cooutlaw, I was walking by the Rise booth and just stopped to say hello as these fellows often stay at the Delaware River Club in springtime as do I. Steve says, "I have a totally new 5-weight, want to try it?" A friend attending the Show I got to say hello to but did not get to go casting with wrote me and e-mail today asking if I cast Rise's Shearwater #5? Wow, he wrote. And just like that a new rod begins to generate interest.

redietz, I had never heard of the cane rodmaker nor get to engage in conversation with him thus procuring his card. I did share my line with my fellow casting pond group about how Ed Payne built whippy rods of Calcutta cane with little rings and his son, Jim, built far superior rods with a material upgrade to denser fibered domesticated Tonkin cane. Jim had no son but if he had, I believe he would be working in advanced carbon matrixes. The 7' cane rod was though as much of a honey as was its color. I no longer fish any of my old cane rods but have fond memories from back when I did 60 years ago.

There were actually a number of cane rod makers and enthusiast at the Show. And I did get to visit briefly with Jerry Kustich.

ibookje

Reaction score
Great report.
I hope to cast some of the rods too on a fly fishing show in May

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I spent three days at this Show strolling its concrete isles. I saw many friends and professional people which I enjoyed, it was loud and full of distraction but I persevered. Two friends and I rented an Airbnb house so we had a quite refuge to return to containing a 1.75L bottle of Famous Grouse. It is the only way I can see all these rods, reels and lines and talk to their designers and factory personnel. I don't know how these pros do one show after another, just this one wore me out and still there were rods uncast, reel handles not spun and line questions unanswered.

hollisd

Reaction score
s&s maybe you said it above but was the NRX+ #4 a big water 4 wt like its predecessor, the blue wrap NRX 904 that you own? Did you feel the character of the NRX / NRX+ is similar; the latter with a better taper and lower swing weight?

I don't know how you keep your thoughts on track in such a sterile environment as a trade show. I'd love to see you go full Weekend at Bernie's with a quiver of fly rods letting you fish and nip whisky, and get back to us with your reviews.

Of the reels was the new Abel your favorite?

okiekev

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for the report! I really enjoyed reading through your thoughts.

The only question remaining is which pieces of gear will find their way into your kit over the next few months?

okaloosa

Reaction score
S&S, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful review.
do you know the weight and swing weight of the NRX+ 4wt vs the NRX?

burk48237

Reaction score
Interesting your observations on the shorter Sector. I have become a fan of the shorter rods as bass rods and streamer rods. Almost no mending involved in that type of fishing. Just roll cast to pick up and shoot. I run the Loomis 7'6" 8 weight, it's lighter than most 6 weights which is handy on a stream where you hit numbers of smaller fish and it will throw any size bass bug and cuts thru the wind nicely. The key is a shorter more aggressive head like and Outbound, Titan, or Cortlands Big Shot.

dr d

Reaction score
hi s+s,

thanks a lot for your wonderful trip + try through edison.

there may be some headlines for the next future:g-sky and g-beulah for less swing weight (graphene)

better resins for less weight and better performance>>loomis

i´m quite sure that croston from hardy will make a big conter late in summer because they sale the zephrus fws now
and a dealer told me that there will come big news.beyond it croston shiwed his prototypes to g.a. in late summer 2019...;)

may be a winner with brand new resin ,new technical ins,and perhap graphene/borophene...who knows.

>>lighter weight,lighter swing weight,perfected taper,fast/med-fast,a.s.o.---the price?it may be british!!:confused:

>>i hope akos will perhaps try the new maxia sx blanks:multiresins,multisegments,hightuned,a.s.o

end of year we will see and drink.

have fun.

thomas

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
s&s maybe you said it above but was the NRX+ #4 a big water 4 wt like its predecessor, the blue wrap NRX 904 that you own? Did you feel the character of the NRX / NRX+ is similar; the latter with a better taper and lower swing weight?

I don't know how you keep your thoughts on track in such a sterile environment as a trade show. I'd love to see you go full Weekend at Bernie's with a quiver of fly rods letting you fish and nip whisky, and get back to us with your reviews.

Of the reels was the new Abel your favorite?
I'm reluctant to compare new 9'/#4 NRX+ with either the Asquith that I cast in the same time frame but not side-by-side nor my original NRX qualitatively. I will say it inspired an immediate "wow" factor and it definitely feels substantially lighter and less dense than mine. And I do not know actual weights. But, yes, this NRX+ projects as a big river capable #4 but would be equally at home on a medium river as it is happy from 30' on out. It feels alive and talkative. A friend who fishes with me on both the Delaware and Missouri has been seeking the ultimate new 9'/#4 for years now. I've shown him, at this Show over the last several years, SKY, T&T Avantt, X and T LL but when we cast this NRX+ last week he said, "This is the one I've been waiting for!" We cast it with an SA Trout.

burk, We cast Sector "short" with RIO DC Bonefish which loaded it just right but I suspect it would be mailable to many other lines. It is very impressive and I'm pushing for the addition of a #7 & 9 and separating it out into its own sub-series.

dr d, I too have heard rumors of impending dramatically new rods, both trout and salt from Croston. With Murphy and him back together and with renewed resources, I believe it. Pure-Hardy-Fenwick had a triple size booth at Edison, bigger than Sage or Loomis.

J

joe_strummer

Like I said, yeah, Sector 848, sweet one, exciting new rod imo. It handled the SA Bonefish with aplomb, and the SA Infinity Salt as well, but the DC Bonefish, sitting between those two lines in 30' head weight, really felt like the sweet spot for me. Somebody here said it felt underpowered to them, but I think that was the dude who spent the Denver show trying to cast everything into the Tenkara booth beyond the pond.

arcane

Reaction score
hi s+s,

thanks a lot for your wonderful trip + try through edison.

there may be some headlines for the next future:g-sky and g-beulah for less swing weight (graphene)

better resins for less weight and better performance>>loomis

i´m quite sure that croston from hardy will make a big conter late in summer because they sale the zephrus fws now
and a dealer told me that there will come big news.beyond it croston shiwed his prototypes to g.a. in late summer 2019...;)

may be a winner with brand new resin ,new technical ins,and perhap graphene/borophene...who knows.

>>lighter weight,lighter swing weight,perfected taper,fast/med-fast,a.s.o.---the price?it may be british!!:confused:

>>i hope akos will perhaps try the new maxia sx blanks:multiresins,multisegments,hightuned,a.s.o

end of year we will see and drink.

have fun.

thomas
At the risk of taking this discussion off the rails, I’ll just say that (in my opinion) the nano, nanotube, and graphene marketing stories are really a disservice to the fly fishing community.

There’s a reason that you don’t see any of the major domestic manufacturers talking about this or “using” it in building rods. I put using in scare quotes because carbon nanotubes and graphene are years from being commercially viable. Even nano resin additives - which were offered to every manufacturer - were passed on by the domestic manufacturers (with the exception of Loomis) once they tested it and determined it was effectively a resin contaminant.

I get that manufacturers using JS Co. to build their rods need to create some way to differentiate themselves, but I really don’t think leaning on these marketing stories is the right way to do it. If it’s a good rod, it doesn’t need this stuff to sell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
At the risk of taking this discussion off the rails, I’ll just say that (in my opinion) the nano, nanotube, and graphene marketing stories are really a disservice to the fly fishing community.

There’s a reason that you don’t see any of the major domestic manufacturers talking about this or “using” it in building rods. I put using in scare quotes because carbon nanotubes and graphene are years from being commercially viable. Even nano resin additives - which were offered to every manufacturer - were passed on by the domestic manufacturers (with the exception of Loomis) once they tested it and determined it was effectively a resin contaminant.

I get that manufacturers using JS Co. to build their rods need to create some way to differentiate themselves, but I really don’t think leaning on these marketing stories is the right way to do it. If it’s a good rod, it doesn’t need this stuff to sell it.
Welcome to the discussion, arcane. I think all with savvy about graphite rods knows that design comes first and advanced material science is only to enhance the designer's canvas. Still, I don't take all this techno-talk to be marketing as both Hardy and G-Loomis as well as a multitude of smaller makers, yes, many utilizing Korean fabrication, have produced some outstanding fly rods employing Nano particulate additives. And it is true that Sage for example did and does experiment with everything available and has found the difficulty in uniformly distributing particulates within the resin system leads to potential result inconsistencies. Still they employ a resin type permitting a more compressed, higher fiber to resin ratio in their Konnetic HD system. And this is the holy grail, more fiber less plastic. I was told at the Show by a maker currently using Nano silica resin that JS believes Nano graphene lends itself to more uniform particulate distribution and he has begun to develop porotypes using it. As it is, his rods are already very good.

Frankly, I like lighter, stronger, slenderer, more communicative and responsive rods with quicker recovery. Whatever material science and fabrication methodologies a shop employs to achieve our best rod designers finest tapers, I'm all for.

arcane

Reaction score
As it is, his rods are already very good.

Frankly, I like lighter, stronger, slenderer, more communicative and responsive rods with quicker recovery. Whatever material science and fabrication methodologies a shop employs to achieve our best rod designers finest tapers, I'm all for.
These few sentences more or less capture my thoughts on the subject. The rods cast nicely and don’t need techno wizardry to justify their existence. All the technology talk does is cause me to roll my eyes.

The materials science in fly rod production is not nearly as complex or magical as a lot of manufacturers would have you believe. Pick a fiber. Pick a density. Pick a resin. Pick a scrim. Done. None of these rod companies have an inside track on new materials. Your Toray, Hexcel, whoever rep calls you up and says, “want to try this?” I imagine all with in-house production say yes and then test it. The actual prepeg is a small part of cost, so if a new material is better, it’s used.

Occasionally you’ll see interesting applications of material (e.g. boron, aramid, Sage’s Gen 3, Scott’s ARC, etc.), but those have been few and far between, and don’t always stand the test of time.

I imagine Boeing and other aerospace companies may get shown some interesting things, or offered novel prepegs, but their scale is vastly larger. It takes a long time for these things to downstream to outdoor sports applications, be it fishing rods or golf shafts.

Call me a cynic, but I’ll continue to be highly skeptical of graphene seeing valid commercial usage in fly fishing anywhere in the near future.

dr d

Reaction score
hi arcane,

i love only facts as i´m too a modest standard ballroom dancer with a former world champion trainer

which settles me down by each training:

graphene is not homeopathic:scott mac kenzie(3 times spey world champion),henrik mortensen,nam, beulah,douglas…

also nano resin will not be presence:hardy 220-1000 silica,loop,scott,sage,loomis,douglas,maxia(2 diff. resins in one blank)a.s.o.

and btw boeing will be happy for some nice news...;)i´m not cynic only a little bit more experienced perhaps...:)

as long as we discussing here lively we will be interested in new developments...sometime we will win sometime we will fail!

that - in my humble sense - the way of life ---Nothing else.

have fun.

thomas

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
And, if my information was accurate, Sage's Konnetic was sourced through Boeing. Much as old Redington's titanium ceramic resin additive, the first Nano rod, Nti, was from NASA.