Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default TYA's Abbreviated 8 Wt Challenge

TYA's review and ranking of the (mostly) new 8 wts.

While I am not a fan of the TYA shootouts--I think at best their testing methodology is flawed and some of the categories are silly--their overall winner, the new NRX+, happens to be my favorite 8 wt too, at least of those I've cast. While I can appreciate not doing another full blown shootout, it would have been nice to compare these new rods to other rods still in production.

A link below for those interested.

2020 8-Weight Challenge >> Yellowstone Angler
    Last edited by WNCtroutstalker; 02-14-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Default Re: TYA's Abbreviated 8 Wt Challenge

I've only cast a couple of these rods, Asquith and Sector which I have no reason to argue with George's impressions of, Asquith is very special. In reading his write up though it sounds like NRX+ may be at least equally excellent depending on the casters' sensitivities. I appreciate this is a mini comparison but not including Taylor's new #8 Truth and (no surprise) Sage's Igniter, both of which I have cast and am very impressed by dims its relevance. I was told by Douglas that the SKY-G #8 was months of development away so this tester here must have been a prototype.

3. Likes fly2field, WNCtroutstalker liked this post

hi,

looking at the curves i must laugh - total triumph of "old school" tapers - i cited a well known and aknowledged

us-dealer and fisherman who is a loomis expert...

why not igniter?...it may be to ahead perhaps - other taper ,other technology,more true in weight.

funny too to see the performance of web-tech. and graphene-infus. out to 80-100f.there maybe

another painstacking re-tapering night perhaps.

wait and drink and nice we.

thomas

My current brace of #1 bonefish 8-weights is Stickman T8 and NRX. The mini comparison I would like to be part of is these and new NRX+, Asquith, Igniter and Truth. Does anyone have another candidate for a top flats #8 I'm leaving out?

6. Likes fly2field liked this post

advocatus diaboli:

new hardy z3 ...(eftex ´20?), radian 2...also,nam,>>>>>>>>> they will be send to ga/ya before the next #5/8 - test.

nice we.

thomas

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    My current brace of #1 bonefish 8-weights is Stickman T8 and NRX. The mini comparison I would like to be part of is these and new NRX+, Asquith, Igniter and Truth. Does anyone have another candidate for a top flats #8 I'm leaving out?
    Since you may be the only one here with experience with all those rods plus the 1 piece Hardy Zenith 8wt could you please elaborate on how that 1 piece Zenith as well as the Wraith stack up against those bad boys?
    thank you
    Last edited by okaloosa; 02-15-2020 at 03:52 PM.

These shootouts increasingly prove to me that the American rod manufacturers are just taking us for a ride; mainly because we let them. Either that or YA's rating system is completely flawed, which could be the case. Here, and in the last few "shootouts", $800 to $1200 rods made or assembled in the U.S. are compared to a $190.00 rod manufactured entirely overseas and a few other "moderately" priced imports, yet out of 170 possible points in this rating system, they are all within about 10 points of each other. The last rod I paid full price for was $795 and I about choked on that. A twelve hundred dollar fishing pole is going over the top for me, and that one isn't even made in the U.S. The critical part of the process takes place in Japan (not that that means a thing as far as quality goes). I've fished Scott, Winston, and Sage for the last 30 years, but they've lost me with prices approaching a thousand bucks. I'm all for made in the USA, I've supported Winston at least in part because they provide jobs to people in my home state, but come on. I've yet to try an Aetos, but you can bet I'll be looking at one next time I buy a rod; or maybe a Hardy. Used to be the top rods from the best U.S. manufacturers were significantly better than less expensive sticks and the warranties were better too. It doesn't look like that is really the case any longer. Sorry for the rant.
    "Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job" ~ Paul Schullery

hi "mando",

since a lot of years i personal look critical on these prices and i mostly preferred custom rods

from top blanks(sage, cts,a.s.o) to a more reasonable price - often better quality and a third to a half of the

price of highfliers.btw i help rodbuilders a little.sometimes there were also dead times actions from dealers with excellent originals.

unfortuanetly loomis doesn´t sell blanks>>i would it.

and sure there are less expensive rods on the market which i love too - f.e.my best and almost

cheapest nymph rod is from spain from former worldclass peoble >>the same datas as t+t contact,

good quality,top performance and 25% of the price...

hardy shadow maybe excellent too in performance/price and zephrus will be closed soon as i heard.

have fun

thomas

11. Thanks mandotrout thanked for this post
    Likes falcon53 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mandotrout View Post
    ...or YA's rating system is completely flawed, which could be the case. Here, and in the last few "shootouts", $800 to $1200 rods made or assembled in the U.S. are compared to a $190.00 rod manufactured entirely overseas and a few other "moderately" priced imports, yet out of 170 possible points in this rating system, they are all within about 10 points of each other.
    DINGDINGDINGDINGDING...we have a winner!!

TYA's rating system is silly. If you back away for a second, the overall conclusion you draw is that all of the rods are excellent. The scores vary by less than 6% based on a 170-point scale. You can go two ways with this. One, the lower-priced rods are awesome, or two, all the costly technology in the gee-whiz premium pricing category isn't getting you squat.

I think the whole rating system is dumber than he**, when you have a 20-point system and they rate one rod 19.7 at 60 feet, and another 19.8. What is the difference there? Can they really discern a half-percent difference in these rods, at 60'? Just use a whole number, for crying out loud; you've got a 20-point scale for most categories!! If you take the Perfect #8 Performance category per George, and translate it to a typical 1-10 scale, all of the rods are a 9+ or better; more than a 9, less than a 10 (except for the Asquith, which scored a perfect 20). There are no 6s or 7s in the bunch? Or even 8s? Are we to conclude that the Echo Prime is within <10% of the Asquith? What kind of a differentiation is that?! It's just silliness.

Correct, silliness and bias and always has been. If, as I do, you read these shootouts ignore the scoring, read the descriptions and find what tidbits of information that may be relevant to you and, if intrigued by one of the participating rods, go cast it when you can. Rods have dynamic characteristic and personalities and how they "feel" at a particular distance to George may reveal very little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast