Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickman T6

Default Stickman T6

So after checking around the multitude of 6wt options, I decided to pull the trigger today -- I ordered the T6.

I am quite excited about this rod ... it seems like a 6wt unicorn; a 6wt that could do duty with coho salmon but also present a delicate dry fly on another outing. I know a few Stickman T6 users are lurking these forums and I was hoping some of you could share your experiences with the rod and with the lines you find most suitable (or at least which lines you use) on the T6.
    finem respice
    Tom Morgan :::
    "I would say there is quite a bit of crossover in that a good rod is a good rod is a good rod. What you are really looking at are attributes and characteristics.... I have really strong convictions that you need to make a rod that is going to fish for Trout in the 20 to 55 foot range. If it doesn't really bend or flex for that, then you have got the wrong rod. So with any one of the materials the characteristics of the rod in my opinion should still be the same."

2. Likes Costa, Hunter Gathers liked this post

Default Re: Stickman T6

You have a very nice rod coming Thomas ! My T6 covers my bigger rivers ( probably medium by BC standards) and when I know I might tying on anything from the smaller dries to a weighted bunny. Currently , I have a couple reels lined up with Mastery Distance 6 and Gold 6 for the regular stuff. The old GPX and a 200 grain (24') SA for streamers but I need to order up a couple SA Titans #6 or at least one. I have no doubt the T6 will be fine with the Titan because I have a #6 OBS I tried that it handles no problem and the Rio is heavier than the SA.

If I were placing my order again, I would have had Akos make 2 butt sections , one with a FB & one without. El Jefe here did that with his Radian and Scott. No particular reason for the FB , I just like the way they look and it does protect the reel a tad. Now I have a question ,Do you B.C. guys really go after Coho with a #6 rod ?

4. Likes Costa, el jefe liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by eastfly66 View Post
    ...Now I have a question ,Do you B.C. guys really go after Coho with a #6 rod ?
    On the Harrison River, there is nothing better when fishing for cutthroat and coho; they both take the same flies and the 6wt is way,way more fun to cast all day over an 8 wt. The Coho is one of my favourites because it is so aerial when hooked. But its runs (even with 15 to 20 pound Coho) are easily managed with a 6wt that has some butt strength; the coho running pattern is for the most part the same: hooked and jumping; do a run and circle; come back and then run and circle and then back to the net. Spring are brutal like sunken logs that can run and steelhead just fight more than most coho. I use an 8wt or my 9wt spey when targeting those beauties.

So, in sum, I think the T6 will see time on the Harrison R. when I try for Coho. But I will also take it to the East Kootenays this summer when I drift the Elk R.
    finem respice
    "I would say there is quite a bit of crossover in that a good rod is a good rod is a good rod. What you are really looking at are attributes and characteristics.... I have really strong convictions that you need to make a rod that is going to fish for Trout in the 20 to 55 foot range. If it doesn't really bend or flex for that, then you have got the wrong rod. So with any one of the materials the characteristics of the rod in my opinion should still be the same."

6. Likes eastfly66, Costa liked this post

I've never fished for coho, but I think you've got the right idea about this rod in that can certainly throw a streamer and still present a dry.
    I've been using SA expert distance. I do most of my casting practice with this rod. It's got great feedback, it's nice and easy on the shoulder and elbow, and it's just a total pleasure to cast.
    Last edited by flafly14; 02-17-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Interesting to note that I just got a note on recommended fly lines for the T6 from Akos. Recommended highly is the Wulff TT classic. I was so pleased to read this as that line is my go-to all-rounder. I am interested whether anyone else uses the TT line on their Stickman rods... any impressions to share?
    finem respice

Quote Originally Posted by thomasw View Post
    So after checking around the multitude of 6wt options, I decided to pull the trigger today -- I ordered the T6.

I am quite excited about this rod ... it seems like a 6wt unicorn; a 6wt that could do duty with coho salmon but also present a delicate dry fly on another outing. I know a few Stickman T6 users are lurking these forums and I was hoping some of you could share your experiences with the rod and with the lines you find most suitable (or at least which lines you use) on the T6.
    do you have to order it from Europe or is there a distributor here? If from Europe any idea on what customs tax will be?

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    do you have to order it from Europe or is there a distributor here? If from Europe any idea on what customs tax will be?
    Yes one must order from Stickman Rods online. As for taxes, you'll need to ask someone from the USA, as I live in Canada and our taxes are different from yours. The last rod I ordered from Stickman came to me with only $40 tax to pay (the prices are same for all of their base rods). I find a Stickman rod to be slightly less (in Canadian funds) than comparable rods from Winston, Loomis, Sage or Scott.
    finem respice

11. Thanks okaloosa thanked for this post
    Likes fly2field liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have had a T6 for a couple of years. It is a lovely rod, my favorite 6 weight. I have never used TT lines, maybe I should give one a try. I generally favor long bellied lines. The T6 and my casting favor the SA MED and the SA Amplitude Trout. Both work well as does the SA Infinity, but I prefer the two longer bellied lines for mending and fishing. Enjoy your T6.

13. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

Delete or ignore

Quote Originally Posted by okaloosa View Post
    I have just ordered mine. I didn't pay any customs tax or anything like that. It just showed up at the place I get my mail just like anything else.

16. Thanks okaloosa thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast