New Recon is out

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Yes, I can just see this in my minds eye. A gentleman sets out the logo dog bed for his Golden in the shadow of his Land Rover. Adjusts the knot in his tartan tie in the refection of the clean window and buttons up his Harris tweed. On the tailgate he unzips the leather case holding his pristine CFO in preparation for stringing its mono rig up his brand new Recon 11'/#2...

Noodle

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there really between the first gen recon and the second? I’m always curious how much of it is marketing and how much the new technologies really make a difference.

If you look at rods decades apart the difference seems quite substantial, so obviously changes are definitely taking place over time.

I saw some of these at the local fly fishing show and the wood inserts were very good looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

osseous

Reaction score
I cast the 9' 5wt at the Denver show- swapped it back and forth with a famous fly tier friend whom you all know. Neither of us were impressed. At all. Felt dead- noticeably so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jayr

Reaction score
How much of a difference is there really between the first gen recon and the second? I’m always curious how much of it is marketing and how much the new technologies really make a difference.

If you look at rods decades apart the difference seems quite substantial, so obviously changes are definitely taking place over time.

I saw some of these at the local fly fishing show and the wood inserts were very good looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of like a lot of cars.

One to two year difference isn’t much, change the grill, the tail lights, etc. But take the same model and look at it 5 years later, wow, who would have thought......

tcorfey

Reaction score
I do believe the the previous series Recon was based on the Helios 2 tapers with lower end hardware and not the latest pixie dust resins. The new Recon is supposed to be the same idea but this time using the Helios 3 tapers. Orvis slant on bringing the latest tapers to the guy who can't afford the latest tech but can afford a mid-priced rod, I agree with Noodle in that I really like the wood insert reel seat on my Recon it looks good and it casts even better. I will have to give the new Recon a try at the fly show this weekend.

Thanks & Regards,

Tim C.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Yes, I can just see this in my minds eye. A gentleman sets out the logo dog bed for his Golden in the shadow of his Land Rover. Adjusts the knot in his tartan tie in the refection of the clean window and buttons up his Harris tweed. On the tailgate he unzips the leather case holding his pristine CFO in preparation for stringing its mono rig up his brand new Recon 11'/#2...
Who are you kidding? That guy's stringing up a pristine Dickerson 8013 with a double taper Cortland Sylk. It's his kid with the reversed baseball cap and GoPro on his head and the Vedavoo sling pack over his shoulder who's got the Recon.

Of course, they've each got their own set of Abel nippers on an Abel zinger.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I do believe the the previous series Recon was based on the Helios 2 tapers with lower end hardware and not the latest pixie dust resins. The new Recon is supposed to be the same idea but this time using the Helios 3 tapers. Orvis slant on bringing the latest tapers to the guy who can't afford the latest tech but can afford a mid-priced rod,
I'm pretty sure that was true of the first-generation Helios and mid-priced Hydros rods: same blanks but different hardware. (I've got two of those Hydros rods that I bought on closeout when they introduced the first-generation Recons. They're pretty nice tools for how I fish them, especially for the price I paid.) I think the Recon blanks and tapers are not quite the same as later generations of Helios, though. I suspect too many people were buying the Hydros instead of the Helios, figuring why pay that much more if it's the same blank? (In the first generation, too, I think the understated Hydros aesthetics were prettier than the garish Helios. Orvis fixed that with the elegant H2 and the plainer first-generation Recon, but that white label on the H3 is an abomination. If it were architecture it would be a Howard Johnson's.)

okaloosa

Reaction score
Who are you kidding? That guy's stringing up a pristine Dickerson 8013 with a double taper Cortland Sylk. It's his kid with the reversed baseball cap and GoPro on his head and the Vedavoo sling pack over his shoulder who's got the Recon.

Of course, they've each got their own set of Abel nippers on an Abel zinger.
:lol2::lol2:

Redrock

Reaction score
Go ahead and call me iconoclast. Other than a few re-badged items, Orvis is the last place I look for equipment, particularly a fly rod. Orvis tippet used to be the bomb. As I’ve written I briefly owned a PM 10 6#. I can cast anything, but that rod challenged that broad assertion. Recently a salt water buddy handed me a 10# Orvis during a casting exercise. I’ve no idea what series, but knowing him, it was the latest greatest as he used to be an Orvis products “tester.” The rod cast a mile, but had no feel, which is how I described the PM 10. Hope the new series has a little soul.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Go ahead and call me iconoclast. Other than a few re-badged items, Orvis is the last place I look for equipment, particularly a fly rod. Orvis tippet used to be the bomb. As I’ve written I briefly owned a PM 10 6#. I can cast anything, but that rod challenged that broad assertion. Recently a salt water buddy handed me a 10# Orvis during a casting exercise. I’ve no idea what series, but knowing him, it was the latest greatest as he used to be an Orvis products “tester.” The rod cast a mile, but had no feel, which is how I described the PM 10. Hope the new series has a little soul.
Redrock, I can understand that, I hear people rave about Sage and G.Loomis rods. Back in the 90's and early in 2K I bought a G. Loomis rod and later a couple of Sage rods based on others opinions and then more recently I test cast their rods at the shows or borrowed them for a few casts from other casting club members. They cast ok but no matter how hard I try they just don't feel right or maybe how you say they have "no soul" to me and currently their pricing has gone way to high for me to experiment with a purchase. I have sold off or given away the ones I did purchase except for a Sage VT2 that's stashed away. I had the VT2 for sale once but, everyone who tried it also wasn't interested. Maybe one day I will find a taper they make that I like but so far nothing interests me from those manufacturers. I don't know if I will like the new Orvis rods (like others I don't like the white labeling but I might be able to get around that if I like the rod) the last Orvis rod I got was a few years ago and it was the Helios 2 in a 9' 4wt. I like that rod and I like the Recon 6wt I bought the year before I bought the Helios rod. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Regards,
Tim C.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
My jokes at their expense aside, I am NOT anti-Orvis...but I am also not under any illusions about them either. I own a bunch of Orvis rods and have had the opportunity to fish even more. There have been some very, very good ones...in the early to mid 1980's their Western Series sweet spots were at the top, better than what Scott or Winston were building on custom JK Fisher blanks. I like to say (and it is true) that in '84 when I wanted a small stream rod I selected the 8'/#4 W.S. over the Tom Morgan Favorite which nicely complimented my outstanding 8'9"/#5 W.S., my #1 trout rod east and west until the arrival of RPL. Even after the coming of Loomis and Sage who easily eclipsed Orvis rods, Orvis made a few very good trout rods. I have an 8 1/2'/#4 2-pc. from the 90's that is first rate (except for its bling, gold anodized reel seat) but the Orvis Rod Shop objected to its fine responsive tip as they were certain it would break. Mine did not but the best rod designer Orvis ever had and there have been many, quit over the Rod Shops insistence on building tip heavy dullness into the rods to help prevent breakage. I've told the story before about my band new Trident TL 9'/#9 catastrophically failing, exploding into numerous pieces on it first fish, a medium sized albie...bad design. More recently my saltwater guide buddy, a great caster and tackle critic was gifted an H3 9'/#10 by Orvis. I cast it on his boat and thought it was good, particularly its very light weight but that same day he broke it fighting a fish.

My venerable and much loved 8'9" W.S. had its tip boken more tathn10years ago now. Not fishing but by accident and not by me. Oh well. I called Orvis costumer service and the young polite man never heard of Western Series even had trouble looking it up. I got transferred over a few day period until reaching a senior official who did know. "Oh, that rod is not under warranty". I know and I don't want a replacement nor anything for free, I want to buy a new tip section please. "We can't do that we don't have that kind of graphite material any more". (I knew that) Well, how about making it using the pre-preg you use for your current Superfines? "It won't feel the same doing that". I'm prepared to take that risk, how much would it cost? "It can not be done we have destroyed that mandrel". Sure, OK fine, thanks a lot.

Nobody "destroys" mandrels. Now I've cast several H3's and like them, particular the D's and think a rod like 9'/#5 H3D is as good a rod or better than anything Orvis has built in a very long time. It is my sincere belief, however, and reinforced by conversations with anglers waiting their turn along with me at Show casting ponds, that most of them are buying an Orvis because it is an Orvis, a brand they are comfortable with and favorer the warranty and customer service they might need. They are not cross shopping it to Loomis NRX+ or Sage X on a performance basis or they would not be considering it. And I'm an anomaly, I have had nothing but good experience with fly fishing company customer service across the board, except with Orvis. I've broken relatively few fly rods and never have broken a Loomis or Sage (except for Dillon's which I steeped on)...the brand I've broken afar and away the most is...Orvis.

But I'm still occasionally fishing my ancient 8'/#4 W.S. with its CFO and have yet to find the rod to replace it with, I thought maybe the same size Pure or AIR twins but no.

osseous

Reaction score
The current Recon shares the H3's mandrel/taper, but not its material- hence the difference in price.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
It is my sincere belief, however, and reinforced by conversations with anglers waiting their turn along with me at Show casting ponds, that most of them are buying an Orvis because it is an Orvis, a brand they are comfortable with and favorer the warranty and customer service they might need. They are not cross shopping it to Loomis NRX+ or Sage X on a performance basis or they would not be considering it. And I'm an anomaly, I have had nothing but good experience with fly fishing company customer service across the board, except with Orvis.
Re Customer Service: No, you are not an anomaly. I think that, compared to other industries, the customer service offered by fly fishing companies (rods, reels, lines ,etc.) is outstanding. And like you, my only negative experience, has been with Orvis. So there are at least two of us.

Re Rods: I won't buy Orvis rods (because of my negative customer service experience) and as a result I don't cast many, and when I have it's been more out of curiosity rather than pre-purchase diligence. Perhaps that determination has clouded my judgment--though I've tried to be open-minded-- but I haven't found any of them to be special. Not terrible mind you, but not one I'd pick over something else. All brands benefit from loyalists, but I do think Orvis, with its stores and catalogs, especially benefits from those who don't comparison shop. But as long as their customers are happy, that's all that matters.

Redrock

Reaction score
I feel bad, sort of, for knocking Orvis. I’m not anti-Orvis. Orvis has done a lot for the fly fishing community. I’ve never fished or cast an Orvis rod I had to own.

I owned an original graphite series Scott 4#. I thought it was too soft and traded it to a buddy. I went 30 years without buying a Scott, but now own two Radians and plan on casting the GS 844. If Orvis builds a rod I like, I will certainly buy it.

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I get a Orvis email every other day. I can't remember when I got a email from Sage, Loomis etc. Allen and Taylor keeps me informed with sales and new products and its appreciated. I own / owned 2 Orvis rods a 8'9" 7wt Western Series and a 7'9" Far and Fine 5wt. I still use the 7wt mostly shad fishing with a sink tip line mounted on a older Orvis Hydros reel. A Allen 10ft 7wt Azimuth is replacing the Orvis 7wt if I can ever get on the Delaware River as the high water the last 3 years washed out fly fishing for shad.

I traded the a well used 5wt Far and Fine straight up for a new Winston 8'6" IM6 5wt which I used for many years. A good trade for both in my opinion.

I have not bought much from Orvis in the last 10 years but did buy a mid priced rain jacket recently that fit me perfectly and seems to be a solid product.

Oh and I like Rosenbauer's podcasts and videos.

I don't want Orvis to go away!

higby5

Reaction score
I have 2 Helios 3Ds 9' #5 and 9'# 7, a Loomis NRX 9' #4, Loop Cross sx #6 , and a new SKY G 9' #5 that I havent fished yet. Other than the SkyG , I am equally fond of all my rods. I believe many people have cultivated an uncalled for dislike for the Helios , simply because Orvis slapped a white label on it. Too bad.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
I get a Orvis email every other day. I can't remember when I got a email from Sage, Loomis etc. Allen and Taylor keeps me informed with sales and new products and its appreciated. I own / owned 2 Orvis rods a 8'9" 7wt Western Series and a 7'9" Far and Fine 5wt. I still use the 7wt mostly shad fishing with a sink tip line mounted on a older Orvis Hydros reel. A Allen 10ft 7wt Azimuth is replacing the Orvis 7wt if I can ever get on the Delaware River as the high water the last 3 years washed out fly fishing for shad.

I traded the a well used 5wt Far and Fine straight up for a new Winston 8'6" IM6 5wt which I used for many years. A good trade for both in my opinion.

I have not bought much from Orvis in the last 10 years but did buy a mid priced rain jacket recently that fit me perfectly and seems to be a solid product.

Oh and I like Rosenbauer's podcasts and videos.

I don't want Orvis to go away!
That's because Orvis has a direct marketing policy- they will sell direct to consumer. They compete against their own dealers- Much like Patagonia. At least Orvis manufactures some of their products here- which Patagonia does not.