Help me pick new 5/6wt trout setup for Pa waters

Aspen11036

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for advice on a new 5 or 6 wt setup. I learned to fly fish on a 6 wt scientific anglers combo years ago on the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead. Caught hundreds of Steelies with that rod. Currently most of my fishing consists of stocked creeks for trout using #12 or #14 bead head nymphs or #8 woolly buggers. Most of the creeks around are smaller so majority of my casts will be 15-45 ft max. Would like to be in the sun $250 range for a rod. Used is an option also. And then reel setup I’m open. Appreciate any firsthand knowledge and input. Thanks

jayr

Reaction score
What size/weight are the fish you’re after? This will possible change what I’m recommending below.

Unless there’s something I’m missing, a 6 weight seems like a lot of rod. Even a 5 weight seems on the top end. Have you considered a 4 weight?

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
Unless there’s something I’m missing, a 6 weight seems like a lot of rod. Even a 5 weight seems on the top end. Have you considered a 4 weight?
My thought too. Hardy Shadow 486? Love mine, 5wt stays in the car a lot more.

rsagebrush

Reaction score
Buy a 5wt and load it with a 6 when you need to, it should work fine if it is a well designed fly rod. TFO and Echo are in your price range and should be considerably cheaper on the big auction site if you watch for one. A 6wt used to be the all round rod ya know.

WNCtroutstalker

Reaction score
Buy a 5wt
This is my suggestion also. While I have not cast it myself, I'd suggest looking into the Redington Classic Trout, probably the 8'6" (I think the 3 wts are terrific and the whole series seems to get quite solid reviews). They cast and fish much better than the $150 price tag would suggest. Though no first hand experience, I'd also look at offerings from Echo (maybe the Carbon XL?) and there's the Orvis Clearwater. Maybe I'm off base, but in my experience rods in that price range tend to be on the heavy side and stiff. Heavy is OK (how heavy can any 5 wt be?), but for your use I'd want something more moderate in flex--like the Redington.

I would not spend a lot of money for a reel. Any modern disc drag reel should be sufficient for your purposes. I'd look for something used or one closeout. Get a good line, but the place is to save is with the reel.

Good luck to you.

mike_r

Reaction score
Quest Four-Piece Fly Rod Outfits, Four-Piece

For what it is worth, I have cast the 8’6” 6wt rod and it is a real gem. Was teaching a local kid how to double haul and asked to borrow his rod (LL Bean Quest 2 8’6” 4pc 6wt) to demonstrate technique. I was blown away at what a smooth and efficient casting rod: Medium-fast action with a crisp tip and it swung very light. This would be a great PA creek rod that could double for trout and smallmouth bass when the creeks warm up. An 8’6” 6wt is a hard to find rod these days and is a nice length for typical PA “Criks” that do not have too tight of a tree canopy.

2cts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspen11036

Reaction score
Most of the fish are 10-22 inch, 1-3 lbs I would guess. I was thinking 6 wt because I could still use for steelhead if I wanted to and I have an opportunity to purchase a like new orvis recon 9’ 6wt for $225. Should I stick with a 4 or 5 just for trout and be happier?

mike_r

Reaction score
That Recon is a fine rod too! I have not found a Recon rod that I did not like! I have cast and fished the 9’ 6wt Recon a friend owns and it is NOT overkill for the fish you describe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clouserguyky

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd jump on that Recon while it's available. A 9' 6 weight is an excellent all around rod. It can fish nymphs, streamers, and dry flies well and it can employ a large range of fly lines. You could fish only that rod for the rest of your time in PA and be fine. Somewhere down the road while fishing in PA, you will probably want something like a 10' 3 or 4 weight for tightline nymphing and something like an 8'6"-9' 4 weight for technical dry fly fishing. But the 9' 6 weight can cover such a wide range of scenarios, it's kind of crazy to pass up that deal.

NCAndy

Reaction score
I have the Recon 9' 6wt. It's not a rod I use much since 90% of my fishing is with a 3wt and I have a couple other 6wts. But it is a versatile rod. I went out today and tried a few lines on it. Normally I have used either Orvis Hydros Trout 6wt or Orvis Power Taper 6wt (which I have read is somewhat similar to SA MPX being a half line size heavy) depending on need. So today I put both SA MPX 5wt and SA Amp Trout 5wt Smooth on it. The rod quickened up with both especially the SA Trout and I could use either in lighter applications. I'm not a high line speed guy normally, choosing my Winston rods for delicacy when I can. But the Recon threw these lighter lines with speed and tight loops and I felt with the right fly in use could be a very nice combo. Now the rod balances better with a more heavy reel than the 5wt reels I tested the lines with this morning. Both the Lamson Guru 2 and Nautilus XM were too light for my taste, balance point at the front of the cork or up to the hookkeeper. But the lines worked and showed to me the useful range of the rod, from true 5wt to 6.5wt lines. To me if I wanted to use a 5wt I'd use my 5wt because the whole system would be lighter and more responsive, but the Recon 6 can do it, but with a fast rod feel.

caddis75

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Looking for advice on a new 5 or 6 wt setup. I learned to fly fish on a 6 wt scientific anglers combo years ago on the Lake Erie tribs for steelhead. Caught hundreds of Steelies with that rod. Currently most of my fishing consists of stocked creeks for trout using #12 or #14 bead head nymphs or #8 woolly buggers. Most of the creeks around are smaller so majority of my casts will be 15-45 ft max. Would like to be in the sun $250 range for a rod. Used is an option also. And then reel setup I’m open. Appreciate any firsthand knowledge and input. Thanks
I would highly recommend the 9' 5wt Reddington classic trout and a Lamson liquid reel. That was my first post beginner set up and I sort of miss it. That would bring you yo about $250 for a rod and reel. I fish in PA and that's what I used for about 2 years.

Aspen11036

Reaction score
I ended up getting the Recon. Got a good deal on it. Now reel and line decision. Reels I’ve been looking at the Orvis Hydro, and the Lamson Liquid and Guru. Lines I’ve been told either Orvis Hydro, SA MPX or SA Infinity. I would rather put the money toward a better line or a good all around line and a decent reel.

NCAndy

Reaction score
Read my post above but I have found a reel around 5.8oz balances the rods pretty well. As for line, as I mentioned above, the Recon 9ft 6wt can take a wide variety but I would tend to start with a true to weight 6wt and change up if you have special needs.

Aspen11036

Reaction score
NCAndy, when you say 5.8 oz reel, are you meaning fully loaded or reel alone? I’ve been reading on yellow stone angler shootouts about how they compare and they list all of the weights also.

NCAndy

Reaction score
NCAndy, when you say 5.8 oz reel, are you meaning fully loaded or reel alone? I’ve been reading on yellow stone angler shootouts about how they compare and they list all of the weights also.
Reel weight without line or backing. My Recon 9ft 6wt, the freshwater model without the fighting butt, has an Orvis Hydros SL3 on it. The reel has been replaced recently and I can't find the specs anymore but off the top of my head I seem to remember it at 5.8oz tare weight. Reels in that weight range are easy to find and don't have to break the bank. Anything around 6oz should be fine though.