Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orvis T3

1. Default Orvis T3

I like Orvis products and would like to try one of their rods. I just can't justify the price on the Helios, but would consider the T3. Is this a good casting rod in 5wt?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Orvis T3

Rag: I also like Orvis rods. Your question is a little hard to answer as I don't know your casting skill level or what kind of fishing conditions you normally fish in. The T3 rod is a fast action rod (most of them are in the 9.5 tip flex range). Overall, I like the casting action of a mid-flex rod, but that said I use an Orvis TLS 9.5 tip flex because I live in WY and a lot of my fishing is in windy conditions. A mid flex rod will be much easier to cast, but a tip flex really is nice in windy conditions (you do have to be very carefull when setting the hook with atip flex rod). So if I didn't live in WY and wanted to buy a T3 I would be sure to pick one with a mid-flex action.

Larry

Blog Entries

4. Default Re: Orvis T3

Hey RAG
    I saw some some T3 on E-Bay and just remember that some of them are reconditioned and have a R on the handle...And Orvis said they were not under Warranty.............I just bought a T3 5wt 4 pc MID FLEX and boy I tell you what I love the rod.I also have a ORVIS TROUT BUM 8' 4wt 4pc and is awsome...But a different rod all together......The T3 I bought was a demo and you can not tell at all looks bran new and got it for $325.00 with the warranty card...They had a Zero for $440.00 and a Helios for $600.00
    Anyways the T3 is Awsome for the Lander Wyoming wind.

5. Default Re: Orvis T3

Quote Originally Posted by rag View Post
    I like Orvis products and would like to try one of their rods. I just can't justify the price on the Helios, but would consider the T3. Is this a good casting rod in 5wt?
    If you hang in there a few more months I hear that they are coming out with a new series that has the Helios technology, but at the T-3 price point. More toward the end of summer.

6. Default Re: Orvis T3

Thanks for the ebay heads up Larry. I think I may try casting one at a dealer to see if I like it. All my rods have been fast tip including the Sage rod I built and is the main workhorse. I though of trying a midflex and would like to own an Orvis.
    Not to make this too long, but I was on a guide's boat in a bay at the Jersey shore. It was dark and we were waiting for some daylight to make our way through the inlet to the ocean for False Albacore. Not wanting to rig up in the dark I picked up the guides rigged up Orvis rod and cast for whatever in the harbor using shore background lights to see the line. Man did that rod throw line real nice. It felt like I had been using for years. Never forgot that morning.

Blog Entries

Rag: One of the big things everyone says about buying a new rod is to try and cast it first to see if it fits your casting style. Having done that and the facrt that you already have fast action rods and like the way they can throw a line, especially into a wind, I'd say you will be very happy with a T3, whether or not you can wait for the new helios technology rods to come out.

Larry

8. Default Re: Orvis T3

I have the T3 tip flex and as Larry said, great for wind, and BIG BUGS. It is crisp, but very sensitive. There is several models in the mid-flex 7.0 - 8.0 that I would definitely look at.
    My Zero and Helios along with the older TL are all mid-flex 7.0 or 7.5 and to me, Orvis has this soooooo dialed in, there in a league of their own.
    Because of my experience with Orvis, I would buy site unseen because I know the action and love it.
    My T3 was one of the first off the assembly line so it held the $600.+ price tag, but what else is new...;-(

Blog Entries

Joni: There seems to be some really good deals on EBay for the now discontinued Zero, are they worth the money or would you recommend just saving up the cash until I could afford a Helios?

Larry

10. Default Re: Orvis T3

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Joni: There seems to be some really good deals on EBay for the now discontinued Zero, are they worth the money or would you recommend just saving up the cash until I could afford a Helios?

Larry

Are they worth it? I think so most definitely. Wait and save up for a HELIOS? Not a BAD thing. The thing is, both my Helios and My Zero are 9' 6 weight 7.5. (what can I say, I like that flex). There is 1/2 oz. difference. Close my eyes, I can't tell the difference to be honest. So, for $200. + difference......that is up to you. Plus I really like the RED..he, he, he.

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast