Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New 3wt?

Default New 3wt?

I'm in the market for a new 3wt (7' -7' 9") rod for smaller streams in western MT. I am looking to spend about $200. Does anyone have any experience with the new Winston passport? Also which allen reel would complement a st. croix avid series? Suggestions??

Default Re: New 3wt?

I have enjoyed my 7'9" TFO finesse 3wt since the day I got it. It has the delicacy of making very accurate casts but can still manage to land a trophy trout if played correctly. They are generally less than $200 and have a good warranty.

Blog Entries

If you have an opportunity to cast some rods, do so. What may feel great in my hands, may not feel good in yours.

Here is a review of the Redington Classic Trout 376-4. For the $149.95 price point, you'd get the rod, tube, sock, and a lifetime warranty. The Redington Drift 2/3 reel balances perfectly with it.

MP

Blog Entries

slayer,
    depending on your casting stroke, med. to med-fast is the norm these days, i would take a look at the sage launch. if you can, go on ebay or where ever and try and find a sage launch 3 weight. you should probably find one right around, if not below, the 200 range. great rod, great warranty and i would classify this rod, by far, the best in its class.

casey

ARFE

Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post
    I have enjoyed my 7'9" TFO finesse 3wt since the day I got it. It has the delicacy of making very accurate casts but can still manage to land a trophy trout if played correctly. They are generally less than $200 and have a good warranty.
    My understanding is that the TFO rods dont come with a case, which is a huge selling point for me.

TFO Tubes can be purchased for about $20. For some that has been a reason to pass on them. It doesnt bother me much, I dont expect a rifle to come with a case either. Some do, but it isnt a deal breaker for me.

Have you thought about going with glass. A Steffen brothers glass rod could be a fun small stream choice.

Thanks for the input, I think I am going to take a chance on the 7'6" Winston Passport. Now its time for a new alpha series reel... Hopefully the spring thaw will come a little bit early and I wont have to fish for icicles for the next month an a half.

We'll be curious to hear your review. The 8' version of that rod appeals to me, but its not tops of the holding pattern.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Question Re: New 3wt?

Quote Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
    Have you thought about going with glass. A Steffen brothers glass rod could be a fun small stream choice.
    Hardhat, I'm not familiar with Steffen Brothers fiberglass rods, although I do have a 7'7" Scientific Anglers System Five fiberglass rod from the 1970's. Can you advise the dimensions of the Steffen Bros. fiberglass rod you're suggesting? And why do you consider fiberglass rods particularly well suited for small stream fly-fishing?
    On the whole, I'd rather be in Wyoming . . .
    Fly2: