fly rod help

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
i have a rod from way back used so much the last eye wore out. but still in pretty good shape im wondering if its worth anything, fixing.

its old. 25 years or more.

its a "open road crown series" ORF 85 8.5FT / 2.55M

it was made in japan.

its very fast acting and seems to be made of wood. it put my 5 weight temple fork to shame with sensitivity. also i cant figure out the weight. im guessing it is an 8?

thanks for any help.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
This is just a guess... but I'd say you have a post-war Japanese bamboo rod...50-60 years old
Does it have metal ferrules. (the joint where the pieces go together), chrome reelseat?
If it's what I think it is, it's not a great rod, but it's perfectly usable and most likely a 6wt.

Tiptops cost less than two bucks if you want to fix it yourself or if you take it to a shop, they'll charge you 10
Worth it either way

lifesaflyin

Reaction score
there is no crome, its wrapped with thread at the joint and the reelseat looks like aluminum painted red or anodized. the guides look to be brass or copper with crome on the outside.

the cork i have to say is far better then i have ever seen, even if it is a cheap rod from back in the day.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
You can tell what weight rod it is by using the "Common Cents" method that was in Rod Maker magazine a few years ago. It works by hanging a bag off the end and trapping the handle down to a flat surface. With the entire rod past the handle parallel to the floor add pennies to the bag till you get the rod bent one third of the length. e.g. 9 foot rod bent 3 feet. the number of pennies it takes tells you what the weight is. If you want I can give you more detailed directions. As for the top, show us a picture and I will tell you if we can get a matching top (last guide). I have access to some pretty good parts places and can get or lead you to an exact match more than likely. Tops are cheap and pennies are reusable. You should be able to be back in business for under five bucks. I'm sure the rod is worth at least that.:thumbsup:

KenWey

Reaction score
Ok I'm game. How do you equate the number of pennies it takes to achieve a 1/3 bend to a weight class?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Ok I'm game. How do you equate the number of pennies it takes to achieve a 1/3 bend to a weight class?
I'm going to guess that the weight classification is based on what it takes to bend 1/3 of the rod. I guess a penny just happens to match the unit of measure used??? I have no idea, but it sounds good...

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all,

Pennies to bend 1/3 of a rod??? Never head that formula before. I wonder if it really works. For instances, a 9' 5wt with a soft action would bend with less weight than a 9' 5wt with a stiff action. They are both 5 weights but I think it would take different numbers of pennies to bend them 1/3 of the rod. Am I missing something here?

Frank

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok Ken. Fly rods are rated by how much weight it takes to load the rod. In fly rods loaded technically is in a 9' rod, 3' of deflection. Lines are rated so that with 15' of line out of the rod it will load the rod. These are known as the AFTMA standards. Pennies made post 1996 have a weight of known value. By using a small paper clip with a small plastic bag you can add pennies till you achieve the 1/3 the length deflection. counting the pennies gives you the weight it takes to load the rod. This is how rods are rated. For example 42 cents gives you an effective rod number of 5.2. ( there is a chart ) Rods with an ERN of 5.0 to 5.99 can be legitimately called a 5 weight. At 5.9 I might be tempted to call it a 5/6 weight. It is actually a kind of involved deal and took at least three issues of RodMaker to cover it, starting with Vol. 6 #2. They even had a meathod of determining the weight of an unknown fly line also using pennies. I have used it a couple of times.

ezamora

Reaction score
yup, pennies were used because they are so easily available and have a known weight past the specific year recommended. it does take some reading to fully understand the system but it works. check this site out:

Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard

to the left you'll see near the top two links to the CCS system. the first link takes you here and fully explains it. The Common Cents System

if you're interested, it might be good to search that first site's archives. believe me, probably every known argument has been thrown at it

and this next link takes you to a sister site with measuring data of completed rods. click on the middle black header called Common Cents Rod Data (at the bottom you'll find a tab which allows you to switch between complete rods and blanks of many well-known rod manufacturers, mainly fly but a separate section for spin/casting rods):

Common Cents Rod Information

the system is dependent on individuals conducting the tests and including data to help expand the database. if you grasp the system and can then interpret the numbers, you'll see that it offers much more than any rod manufacturer has ever offered (ex. relative flex/bend diagrams). the terms medium action, medium-fast, moderate, fast, extra fast, fast tip, fast recovery etc... have always been incredibly subjective.

eric
fresno, ca.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To quote the last post "have always been incredibly subjective." Some rod manufacturers will intentionally rate rods wrong. Say things like "you can cast farther with our 5 wt. than the competitors" and mark 6 wt. rods as a 5. Fast, moderate etc. gets even worse. If everyone used the common cents system you would know precisely what you are getting. (or have) Great links by the way.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the chart KenWay. If you looked at it, there are lots of rods that are rated by the manufacturer one over. I just gave it a fast once over and even found some rated two over. Kind of makes you think about checking before you buy a line for rod doesn't it?:confused: