Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 wt?

Default 2 wt?

Okay, I'm looking for an inexpensive 2 wt rod. Was thinking about building one but would rather buy one. Any suggestions?

Default Re: 2 wt?

Ive been wanting a 2wt also,and been looking at the cabelas TQR rod. $110 for the rod and $150 for the rod/reel,line and backing, check them out.

What length? What are you going to do with it?

I have a 7'6" St. Croix Legend Ultra that I purchased specifically for bluegill and such.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

I'm looking for something 7 foot or under. Preferably a 6' 6" 2 wt. for small streams with lots of tree cover. I'm sure I'll use it for gills on some open water as well, but thats the main reason I want one. Rather have it shorter than long. I have a 4 wt that is 7.5 ft and I like it a lot but it is actually big for some of the spots I want to fish.

I have the older model TQR called "Clear Creek" in 2wt and in 1wt, while it's no Hardy, I love the action in this little rod, have seen the new TQR and they are nicely done. you going to this a 8oz gill is a 8# bass on this rod, they are really fun

Look on ebay for a LaCrosse 2wt. They make one in 7ft. Also try Dorber fly rods.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

7. Default Re: 2 wt?

I got a custom 2wt from Midwest Custom Fly Rods. 6'6", full flex. Beautiful rod and fishes like a dream. I lucked out and got it on ebay for about $120 and would have gladly paid more.
    Midwest Custom Fly Rods | Quality affordable custom fly rods

Quote Originally Posted by jkratty View Post
    I got a custom 2wt from Midwest Custom Fly Rods. 6'6", full flex. Beautiful rod and fishes like a dream. I lucked out and got it on ebay for about $120 and would have gladly paid more.
    Midwest Custom Fly Rods | Quality affordable custom fly rods
    Hey jkratty, I got a couple midwest customs myself, Steve is a friend of mine. He built me a awesome 4wt and working on a 9wt for me, I would definetly recommend having midwest custom build you a 2wt Twospots, you wont regret it.

9. Default Re: 2 wt?

I recently purchased a St Croix Avid 7'6" 2 weight that I like a lot. It was arounds $200 new on ebay.

10. Default Re: 2 wt?

Building a 2wt is the way to go. You can do it for less than you will buy a factory built rod.
    I've built a Pac bay 6'6" 2wt, and a Matrix 6'6" 2wt, both cost me less than $80.00 to build. Depending on the components you choose, you can sometimes keep the cost at around $50.00.

Here is a pic with the Matrix.

This rod is pretty nice, it is delicate, yet has the power to bust out 40-50 feet of line. I didn't use cheap components on it, and it only cost me $75.00 to build.

J.
    http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/

Ultralight fly fishing guru

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast