Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Slow action 8 weight

For what sort of fishing would a rod like this be used?

I came across an old Browning silaflex rod and a southbend 1110 reel that I "guesstimate" to be from the 1960s. The rod didn't have markings but it throws an eight weight line well. It's definitely a slow action--big, heavy, limber.

I'm in Kansas and fish warmwater. Locally, there's easy access to LM Bass, wiper/hybrids, and various rough fish. Pike and trout come into play on vacation trips.

Any ideas on how to use this rod?

Default Re: Slow action 8 weight

Slower action rods often do well at throwing big bulky flies. This is part of the concept behind Sage's BASS rods: A very heavy front weighted line bends the rod deeply and makes turning over sparrow sized flies simple. A SA Headstart line with 2-3 feet of the front taper cut off would be a cheap version of that rig.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Thanks, Cliff.

I suspect this rod was used for bass bugging, and that fits with what you say. I'm sort of thinking about using it that way myself.

The thing I need to do is buy a decent fly line. The one I have isn't very good.

I have an 8wt Orvis Golden Eagle (Phillipson blank) that throws hairy bass bugs like a rocket launcher. (It was purchased by my father-in-law to be used as a salmon rod)
    The trouble is that the rod weighs in at 7 1/2 ounces
    Combine that with a reel heavy enough to balance it out and you need to be a weight lifter to cast it for any length of time
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Default Re: Slow action 8 weight

I've got a Bass Pro cheapie as a backup that is most certainly a slow action rod and that's just how I fish it. Slowly and with a linear application of power through the casting stroke. Too much power in a nonlinear fashion and I get tailing loops all over the place. It does turn over 5-6" saltwater flatwing deceivers very well though!