Big Trout Streamer Swap, Fall 2011

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Some great patterns were submitted for this swap, and no doubt we'll have some bruisers caught on these patterns in the coming months.

Thanks to all that participated in this one!

Zoo Cougar
by Aroostockbasser

Circus Peanut
by Lancer09

Hooks: these were two 1/0 hooks that I used to use for bait fishing but they were perfect for thsi application
Tail:yellow marabou
Trailer body: 4 bunches olive craft fur tied in reverse or hollow style
Trailer flash: FTD flash, IDK name, lost the package, any would work.
Trailer collar: red antron dubbing
Connection: two pieces 20 pound mono
Front body: Palmered yellow marabou
Front head: spinning loop with three generous clumps olive craft fur.

Chubby Muffin
by Wovenstonefly

Drunken Sailor
by Dean_Mt

Hook: #4 3XL
Weighted with two strips of .35 lead wire, along one side of hooks
Head: White plastic craft bead
Body: White Antron yarn
Wing: White Marabou, tied Matuka-style
Collar: Dubbed White Antron

Yoda
by Watson

Articulated with stinger hooks a bead or two, flash, marabou, mallard, cactus chenille a little bit of weight and some dumbbell eyes.

Brookie Fry
By Pocono

Hook: Rangely streamer 8xl size 4
Thread: Danville Flymaster 6/0, Olive
Tail: Mini marabou, brown
Underbody: Uni Stretch , white
Body: Uni Mylar, blue, medium
Rib: UTC Tinsel, flat, gold, small
Counter rib: Softwire red, #30
Lower Body: Bucktail yellow, fluorescent orange, white (top to bottom)
Upper body: Bucktail black, olive (top to bottom)
Eye: Danville Flymaster 6/0, gold

Brown Woolly Bugger
by Famill09

Size 6 3XL 2XH Hook
10 wraps .030 lead
Marabou Tail (Two Fluffs)
Gold Flashabou for tail accent
Bugger Chenille
Hackle (Saddle)
Gold wire for rib

Muddled Bunny
by Mudbug

Flu Shot
by Tyler185

Hook: Size 4 4XL
Weight: Large gold cone head
Thread: UTC 70 denier (color to match fly)
Flash: Crystal Flash mixed in with marabou in the tail
Tail: Marabou (pick your color)
Body: Crosscut rabbit wrapped forward, then marabou wrapped forward, rabbit wrapped forward, marabou and rabbit one last time.
Collar: Chinese saddle hackle (pick your color)
Note from Tyler: You can play around with the colors a lot on this pattern and match what colors you think will work well together. This pattern has some great movement in the water and that's why I love it so much.

Mike’s Red Rocket
by S. fontinalis

Shannon (Stimulator2) posted an excellent, detailed description of the recipe and tying process on this page: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-swap/162608-big-streamers-trout-swap-8.html

Brown Sculpin
by Stimulator2

Hook: Mustad 9675 size 6
10 wraps .030 lead
Body: Golden Olive Dubbing
Rib: Flat Gold Tinsel
Wing: Cree Neck Hackle
Collar: Red yarn or Red dubbing
Fins: 2 Grouse Wing Feathers
Head: Whitetail Deer Body Hair(spun)
Markings: Black Prism Marker

Bruised Angus
(This is just a variation of Eric Leiser's "Black Angus". His pattern is tied with all black materials.)
by peregrines

Hook: 4xl streamer size 4
Thread: Black 6/0, switching to Black Flat Waxed Nylon for spinning deer hair head. Flat Waxed Nylon is stronger for applying more torque when spinning deer hair
Weight: Approximately 20 turns of .025” Non Toxic lead wire substitute on middle 1/3 of hook shank
Tail: 4 wine colored strung saddle feathers (2 on each side) and 2 strands (1 on each side) of Holographic Flashabou tied in by middle to form 2 strips of flash on each side.
Underbody: One strand of black 3 strand Acrylic yarn wrapped over rear 2/3 of hook shank, including over non-toxic wire wraps. Leave front 1/3 of hook shank bare wire. The yarn helps cover the wire wraps used to weight the fly and helps provide good seating for the stem of the marabou as it is wrapped. ) The original "Black Angus" used black floss, which is a bit fussier to wrap smoothly. The marabou wraps cover the body anyway, so the yarn or floss won't be very visible anyway.
Body: Work thread rearward over yarn body and tie in a black marabou plume by the tip. Wrap marabou plume forward around hook. Tie in 1 or 2 more marabou plumes as necessary to cover yarn on rear 2/3 of hook shank.
Throat: Purple marabou plume tied in as throat. After tying in throat, tie off 6/0 thread and start Flat Waxed thread.
Collar and head: Black dyed deer belly hair. Apply in several clumps over front 1/3 of hook shank, tie off thread and trim hair to bullet shape.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mark: Wow, those look like some awesome streamers, I can bet that they will be killer on the water this fall!

Larry

stimulator2

Reaction score
Those look great i can't wait to get these i got just the fish to try these on some may remember my post (Heartbreaking Fish) well i might just break that fish with one of these..

Reaction score
Got my flies yesterday and they all look awesome.
Hopefully this weekend i'll get out to throw a couple of them.

Thanks to everyone for participating and to Mark for hosting the swap.
Hope you all catch fish with the flies from the swap and i look forward to seeing some pictures in the near future.

The recipe for the pattern I tied (Red Rocket) is on page 8 of the original forum

I've recently tied them in black and orange and used bigger eyes than the flies i sent in for the swap. The possibilities for color combinations here are endless if anyone wants to have a go at tying some of their own.
They look much better with the bigger eyes, and the flies in the pic below are tied on single hooks linked to an articulated shank. I used these on special regulation waters where only one hook point is allowed.

lancer09

Reaction score
That black one screams night time trout, and that brown and olive and brown one mixed would be the perfect thing for the sculpins i've seen here at taney, and the white river system.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Love it. Just a great swap, I feel under dressed! Honestly, I entered this one because I am not much of a streamer fisherman or tier, though I enjoy making them when I do.

There truly is not a bad one in the bunch here. Everyone of these flies is going to catch fish or get lost trying! I will put them all to the test.

What I like most about this bunch is the sheer variety - big and crazy (Circus Peanut), big and dark, big and light (the fly not pictured, Brent's Zoo Coug), articulated, flashy, traditional (love that Bucktail, Allen), and representational (great little sculpin, Shannon, I know exactly where I am going to fish that). A streamer for every occasion!

watson

Reaction score
Well you all know what I’ll be throwing this fall.:D

Nice work, great looking flies everyone!

Yes dean, it’s great to see such a variety and to see what is considered a ‘‘Big steamer” throughout the various states!

Hope the Yoda treats you all as well!
Its true beauty doesn't show until it hits the water and when it does plan on getting to the bottom of things in a hurry.

Looking forward to putting these beauties to the test!
Thanks again!
Watson

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Apologies to Brent (Aroostockbasser)-- I forgot to post a pic of his Zoo Cougar in the first post on this thread (thanks Dean_Mt for catching this omission).

It's in there now.

Great flies everyone!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I finally had a look at the flies on the first page, what a Great bunch of trout food! You guys did an outstanding job on these ties,

Ard

dean_mt

Reaction score
Watson, that Yoda is just awesome! I cannot wait to sling that thing around. I might have a chance tomorrow on a wonderful little stream with big browns...maybe...keeping my fingers crossed...

tyler185

Reaction score
I didnt get out after trout but I did go after some chain pickerel. The Circus Peanut that Lancer tied kept sticking out to me. I just had to try it out. The articulated fly was awesome and the pickerel thought so too. Cant wait to try out the rest of the flies!

Tyler

mudbug

Reaction score
Holly cow, I got streamer smacked today.

Not a fly in this bunch that doesn't look useful.

dean_mt

I have a question about yours. The marabou seems to be tied down the back, kinda matuka style. is that correct? I'm asking because I'm going to a local lake tomorrow that holds Largemouth, Striped, and White bass and yours looks like it would be great to drop into a shad boil for stripers, and a good white bass fly.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Holly cow, I got streamer smacked today.

Not a fly in this bunch that doesn't look useful.

dean_mt

I have a question about yours. The marabou seems to be tied down the back, kinda matuka style. is that correct? I'm asking because I'm going to a local lake tomorrow that holds Largemouth, Striped, and White bass and yours looks like it would be great to drop into a shad boil for stripers, and a good white bass fly.
Hey Mudbug, the marabou is indeed tied down in four (i think) spots, ala Matuka. Good luck with it, I've had trout charge out of deep holes and hit it near the surface on bright days. Fun stuff.

Now let me ask you, what would the difference be how the marabou is tied down for your specific circumstance?

mudbug

Reaction score
Hey Mudbug, the marabou is indeed tied down in four (i think) spots, ala Matuka. Good luck with it, I've had trout charge out of deep holes and hit it near the surface on bright days. Fun stuff.

Now let me ask you, what would the difference be how the marabou is tied down for your specific circumstance?

I'm not sure it would matter at all, it's just different and I thought it was cool.

My trip got canceled today so I didn't get to try it, but I'm gonna tie some up.

lancer09

Reaction score
Tyler that picture is absolutely awesome. I know this was a trout streamer swap but as long as flies are sticking fish, i dont really care what kind. That is absolutely awesome. How many did you end up catching on it? did it hold up ok to those teeth?