Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Nymph Swap Fall 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Mark,

I'll tie up some Red Fox Squirrel Nymphs; probably in a #14 (maybe #16). It's about time I tackled a Dave Whitlock pattern; now if I can just get his dubbing recipies down right.
    Man, I just found out about this pattern yesterday, tied a couple up wtih what I had using my Dave Whitlocks dubbing blends #1 SLF box, they have red fox abdomen and red fox thorax blends already blended up. I use these for all my dubbing needs these days.

The tough part for me was getting the legs in the proper place. I am gonna try to get out after work today, snow coming tomorrow, and see if the fish in the river are receptive.

Dave

Troutbum17 you're in- let us know what you're tying

Dave - That Red Fox Squirrel Nymph is a great pattern- good luck with it.

mark
    Mark

3. Default Re: Nymph Swap Fall 2009

im going to try tying the batman nymph in size 12 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by webrx View Post
    Man, I just found out about this pattern yesterday, tied a couple up wtih what I had using my Dave Whitlocks dubbing blends #1 SLF box, they have red fox abdomen and red fox thorax blends already blended up. I use these for all my dubbing needs these days.

The tough part for me was getting the legs in the proper place. I am gonna try to get out after work today, snow coming tomorrow, and see if the fish in the river are receptive.

Dave
    Dave,

I'm using the same dubbing blend for my ties. Getting Whitlock's dubbing mixtures right; so I've been told, can be challenging. So, I've purchased the same SLF #1 dubbing box that you have. I'll probably start tying them up next week or the week after. I'm going to tie the original pattern / I'll post some pics along the way.

Pocono

5. Default Re: Nymph Swap Fall 2009

Howdy Mark,

Do you still think you might divide the swap into two groups? I've tied about 6 of the pheasant tail nymphs with degrees of success! There is quite the range unfortunately, but as you said they tend to get a bit more like the photo of the pattern all the time. I am thinking about another nymph called the Barr's Net Builder for a future swap.

You are sure doing a lot of work on this web site, and I for one, really appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve

Blog Entries

Could you PM me your mailing address? I will get the flies out to you this week.

Quote Originally Posted by webrx View Post

Dave
    Here a test fly. I started working on the Red Fox Squirrel Nymph pattern today; right after I finished up the Going Tiny Swap files. This is a #14, weighted with 10 wraps of .015 lead.

It still needs a lot of work, but it's a fun-to-tie pattern.

Blog Entries

Great looking fly! Dave Whitlock did one with a squirrel collar if I remember correctly. I have used them with great success. Good pattern!

Thanks. I'm toying really hard with using a partridge hackle; I think that the mottling with a Gray partridge feather would go really well with the black and white squirrel tail; but I want to keep it pretty much the way that DW ties it, and he calls for a ginger hen hackle.

Still plenty of time for some experimentation.

Blog Entries

Very nice nymph Allan,the orange head is a plus I think,I haven't started tying the chub specials for the swap...but still use them and they work
    proof by pics

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast