Fast Water Dry Swap, Fall 2009

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Fast Water Dry Fly Swap Due Date December 1, 2009

For those that responded to the swap survey and expressed an interest in tying stuff for fast water, I’ve included your names here, but please confirm you’re still interested, and let me know what you’re tying if/when you know it. Anything goes, Hare, Hair, Foam, or hackle--- as long as it floats like a cork in a roaring river

1. Brandy- Rusty Spinner - RECEIVED
2. BlueBird- Black Booby- RECEIVED
3. Kelkay- Rapid River Caddis- RECEIVED
4. jbbfly- Nico's Favorite RECEIVED
5. Jimmie- X Caddis- RECEIVED
6. Peregrines- Ausable Wulff- RECEIVED
7. Webrx- Caddis - RECEIVED

For other folks that didn’t participate in the survey, but want to get in on the swap, respond to the thread and we’ll see if we can add you too—filling up empty slots, or replacing folks with a reserved space that elect to drop out.
I’m thinking a due date of December 1, 2009 (approx 2 ½ months) should be good- let me know if that works for you too.

I’ll send everyone that confirms/responds that they’re in my address via PM.

Mark

Last edited:

webrx

Reaction score
Wow, all this tying, how am I gonna find time to fish :)

Just kidding,

I'm in this one too, I think I will tie up some elk hair caddis (is it caddisis or caddisi) in any case I can tie 12 of em

I have been thinking about tying something that uses foam since a nice bow hit my indicator the other day, but I don't have any foam to tie with yet, and haven't really looked for a pattern yet. If I come up with something in the next day or so I might change, but for now, I know the EHC works on the truckee, and that is my standard dry for just down stream of the riffles.....

OK, for now, put me down for caddis....

Boy that was a tough decision :)

Dave

kelkay

Reaction score
Would a foam beetle be okay for this swap? If so I may be interested. It will float, but it would best be fished near the edge.

peregrines

Reaction score
Great- Kelkay, the foam beetle would be great.

Blebird, Jbbfly, Webrx, you're all in too.

Thanks for jumping in.

mark

webrx

Reaction score
Wow,
I can't wait for this one to be done, I was fishing last weekend, and saw several large trout rising just below the riffles, but I for the life of me could not figure out how to get one to take a fly. I tried copper johns, GRHEs, EHCs, a black bugger, nothing worked.

I could not see anything on the water though there were some extremely tiny black gnats just above the surface - It did not look like the trout were taking these. I did not have a sample net with me as it was just a quick trip in the evening. I have to guess they were taking something just below the surface. This time of year october caddis hatch, and maybe this is the meal they were eating just below the surface just before dusk. I am gonna try again this weekend.

Any suggestions for fastwater trout on a freestone river just below the riffles in fast water would be appreciated.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hi guys....I had to stay at home this afternoon for my wife is still ill...so I started tying flies for the swap...Nico's favorite#14....sorry for the pic;)the flies are lighter than on the pic with beige wings.

peregrines

Reaction score
Larry- Glad to have you in this one.

JP- Great looking flies!

mark

webrx

Reaction score
Guys, as noted I will be tying up some EHCs for this swap, however they will actually be a fast water foam body EHC. I didn't want to update until I was sure of the concept, but I tied up a couple "test samples" using some yellow foam pinch on indicators - you know the stuff, the little round things that come in a sheet. I dislike these indicators because they always seem to leave a little residue on the line so thay have been sitting on my work bench in the garage until this weekend.

In any case, they work, they stay floating even in the fast water below the riffles, so I purchased some tan foam sheets, tied up two for my box, gonna try them out on the Truckee tomorrow or Tuesday just to be sure (my wife says it is just an excuse to go fishing).

In any case, tan foam body, elk hair wing and a grizzley hackle - I will be getting this tied up over for the swap over the next week or so.

Dave

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Brandy,

Mark is out of touch for a while. It looks like there is still room so, yes you are in. Let us know what you are going to tye.

The TBD seems to be a popular pattern.:lol2:

Frank

BlueBird

Reaction score
Here they are... done.. :D

Black Booby Fly
Size 10 dry fly hook...

Last edited: