pike/warmwater streamer swap 2010?!

rmooney

Reaction score
would anybody be interested in a swap like this for january/february/march?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
I'll play too, and will post a thread about upcoming swaps in 2010 to see if we can get a few more folks--- if not we can each tie up a couple flies.

mark

peregrines

Reaction score
Since we have 8 swappers, each tyer can tie up 7 flies- and will get one back from each of the other swappers.

Due Date Feb 1 2010

1. Rmooney - RECEIVED
2. Gar- RECEIVED
3. TB3
4. Bamboo10 - RECEIVED
5. Aroostockbasser Bloody Bunny Leech
6. peregrines
7. Diver Dan- Blue and White Reynolds Pike Fly RECEIVED
8. Fish Gypsy- Flash Fry or Barr's Bouface

Swap closed, with 8 tyers

How about we give it until Dec 15 to see how many folks sign up and then lock it down?

I figure things might be nuts for everyone during the holidays (except for Gar-- he looks like he's got quite the inventory already).

Does a due date of Feb 1 2010 work for everyone?

If there is just the 8 of us, and we don't get any additional takers we could each tie up 7 flies

How does that sound?

I'll send everyone my address in a PM.

mark

Last edited:

rmooney

Reaction score
sounds good to me! i saw you posted the swap list, hopefully more people will bite on this pike/musky swap!!!

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Aroostock?

Sounds great March.....let's figure on 2 flies per x 6 tyers. I can use a few more for the collection. If more tyers come onboard we can scale it back.

Gar

Reaction score
Let's make sure these are real pike flies. If you can throw it with a seven weight, it ain't a pike fly. :D

peregrines

Reaction score
Gar-

You can help me out since i haven't tied for pike and musky before--- but I tie a lot of stuff for saltwater so i should have enough stuff to play with---what size hook and overall length would you be looking for?

All- I'll send my address to everyone after we see who we've got in the swap--- and we can always double up on flies if we stay at 6 or so.

mark

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
Hey Peregrines.....

I am tying 1/0 and 2/0 Mcnallys for a cousin to use on glazier lake in Northern maine on Muskies. But he has tossed 4/0 for the 4foot beasts.

peregrines

Reaction score
Thanks- I have up to 5/0 at least, and can get them to around 12" or so. I'll try some kind of variation of something i'd use to imitate herring for striped bass and put it in colors for pike/musky.

mark

rmooney

Reaction score
ill tie up a bunny leech with a white tail and read front. how long should the fly be? 7-8inches??

peregrines

Reaction score
Diver Dan's in too with a Reynolds Pike fly, so we're up to 7 folks so far.

Gar

Reaction score
Hey guys- My comment on wanting big stuff was just for fun, but it did raise interesting comments. I tie my ten inch flies on 2/0 octopus or bait hooks. These are large gap hooks and have the same distance from the shank to barb as many normal 5/0 flies. I prefer short shank flies, because they reduce the fowling of material on the hook. I also have noticed that anything larger than 2/0 does not get me more hook ups, but I do seem to get allot more snags. I fish in rocky areas allot (and I hate weed guards.)
Do not assume hook size means larger fly. I have purchased saltwater flies before tied on 5/0 hooks and they showed up as 5 inch baby flies and not worth a big pikes time to move on. I am definitely a large bait guy. I throw big stuff for pike and bass. When we go out in a group, I catch less fish but tend to run a few pounds bigger on fish.

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
I agree Gar.....

The 1/0 and 2/0 seem to get through the "mess" better and flies can be bulked up and lengthened without loosing too much action or hookups.

Like the Octopus hook idea.......hmmmmmm guess I'm back to the bench.