Basic Box- Trout

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Ok let see if this works--- I'm thinking this one might be good for Beginning and Intermediate tyers.

The idea is to end up with an assortment of proven trout flies of different types- streamers, nymphs, wets, and dries, 12 flies in total

Sign up for tying 12 of one type of fly - 12 streamers, 12 dries etc. Folks with less experience might want to choose to tie nymphs or streamers, folks with a little more tying under their belt might want to try tying up some dries, but feel free to sign up for any category.

If you can try and choose proven patterns/sizes that would make a good choice for a basic trout box to fish anywhere.

Due date of March 15, 2010

Streamer
1. Bluebird5 -
2. Packfancjh- Crayfish - RECEIVED
3. Pocono - Milkweed streamer- RECEIVED

Nymph
4. Flytying_Neal - Prince Nymph RECEIVED
5. Quackhead - TBD (nymph or dry)

Wet Fly
6. Brandy- Emergent Sparkle Pupa size 16 - RECEIVED
7. Greenwood- Soft Hackle

Dry Flies
8. Flyfishnflowers - Royal Wulff - RECEIVED
9. Hyrgrnd- Foampy - RECEIVED
10. Webrx - Griffith's Gnat - RECEIVED
11. Chrisinselwyn- NZ Blue Dun - RECEIVED
12. Futuramille- Adams - RECEIVED

If this works, we'll try basic boxes for warmwater (panfish-crappie-bass) and saltwater

Last edited:

hyrgrnd

Reaction score
Mark - I will try to tye the "Foampy" a dry fly variant of the "Humpy" if that's OK.

Thanks for taking on this huge task. I might look over some of the other swaps and enter two this winter. I'll let you know.

Steve

hyrgrnd

Reaction score
Mark,

I think I would like to also try tying a Net Builder which I think is a nymph/emerger. Saw the pattern on another web site and they mentioned a fellow named John Barr as the developer of this pattern.

You could add this to the basic fly box swap, or put it in another one where you think it might fit.

please let me know.

Steve

peregrines

Reaction score
Steve-

John Barr is a great tyer, and you'll see a lot of his patterns-- especially out in the west where you are.

I'm offering up another swap- called a Caddis Life Cycle swap and I put your net builder in there as a caddis larva pattern for now. Hopefully we'll get enough takers to run that one too.

This way you'll be in two different swaps and will receive 11 flies back from each one. If there isn't enough interest for some reason in the caddis life cycle swap, you can double up on this one, and get 2 sets of flies back (22 flies) from this (basic trout box) swap.

Does this work for you?

mark

webrx

Reaction score
I can tie up something for this swap, that will put me in 3 for the winter and should keep me busy and out of trouble. I just gotta remember what I am tying for the others and make sure I don't duplicate anything cause it looks like some of the same tiers in a couple of them. How about your basic Griffiths Gnat?
Dave

webrx

Reaction score
12 Gnats are done.

2 more swaps to go.

Here is a picture

d

Last edited:

peregrines

Reaction score
Sure Packfancjh- or we also have the "Bronzeback Swap" (for smallmouth bass flies) going on now too

Your choice, let me know

peregrines

Reaction score
Great, welcome aboard-- i'll put your crayfish down in the "streamer" category in this trout swap.

peregrines

Reaction score
Webrx's flies arrived (I'll update the swap threads, the status on 1st page 1st post of each swap and will PM tyers once their flies arrive).