Salmon Fly Swap?

Pocono

Reaction score
There have been several posts on Salmon Flies lately and some of the forum members have provided some really nice photo examples of these flies. So, I thought that the time could be right for a Salmon Fly Swap.

As you all know, these flies come in a wide variety of shapes, forms and patterns, but they all have one thing in common; they catch great looking, good-sized fish!

So, here's the proposal: Salmon Fly pattern of your choosing (no egg patterns please; I know, they work, but let's set them aside for this swap); 12 tyers maximum; due date of March 1st. That gives everybody time to fully recover from the Holidays and gets us petty close to being back into fishing season.

Here's the roster and the patterns, as it stands now:

1. Joni - Bomber - RECEIVED
2. McNerney - Glo-Getter - RECEIVED
3. Diver Dan - Green Butt Skunk - RECEIVED
4. Pocono - Alaska Mary Ann - COMPLETE
5. Peregrines - Rutledge - RECEIVED
6. Hardyreels- Blue Charm - RECEIVED
7. Arfishnbear - Dead Prawn - RECEIVED
8. Aroostookbasser - Miramichi Cosseboom
9. Kerry Pitt - The Mallet - RECEIVED
10. tob1 - Nesten - RECEIVED
11. Cicvara - Milo - RECEIVED
12. ChrisinselwynNZ - Red Abbey - RECEIVED

We've got a full swap now. This will be fun; big hooks, interesting materials and some nice looking flies.

Here's my address for sending in your flies:

Allan Jarvis
PO Box 747
Pocono Pines, PA 18350

Pocono

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
Welcome to the swap Bear, Ard and Dan.

I'm going to follow Mark's lead and put all of the pertinent information into the first post, so that people can get the latest info quickly without going through a whole series of post pages. So keep checking the first post for the updates.

Dan - anyone who mixes wine with fly tying has got to have some creative juices flowing! ;) Thanks for posting the pic of your GBS pattern.

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Welcome Kerry and AB!

AB - I think that local patterns are a definite plus; particularly those that are known to catch a lot of fish! :)

Pocono

Reaction score
Welcome Cicvara!

We're coming along pretty well with this swap now. One slot left and we'll have our 12 and the swap will be closed.

I'll keep you all updated.

Pocono

BlueBird

Reaction score
Allan.. I almost miss this one... I want to join... I want in... :wiggle:

Joni

Reaction score
I got lottsa deer hair so I will do a bomber. I will pick up the hooks this weekend.
Here is what it will look like. Time consuming but fun!

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
I should take more business trips (just kidding - absolutely, just kidding!); come back and we have a full swap with 12 members. Check the first post for the full roster of tyers and the designations that I have so far.

Be sure to send me your pattern when you've made a decision on it and I'll post it to the thread.

I'm also adding my address to the first post, so that you'll have all of the relevant information in one place and with easy access.

This is going to be a great swap!

Pocono

---------- Post added at 06:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

I got lottsa deer hair so I will do a bomber. I will pick up the hooks this weekend.
Here is what it will look like. Time consuming but fun!

Joni,

Nice Bomber tie. I've been seeing Bomber patterns for years up in Maine and a lot of them have been changed so much that they don't look anything like the original pattern. Yours looks a lot like the original.

According to Paul Marriner, Modern Atlantic Salmon Flies, the Bomber was developed by one Reverend Elmer Smith, who adapted if from a Deer Hair Mouse pattern that he used to fish for sea run Browns on the Royal River in Yarmouth, ME. That river is about 5 miles, as the crow flies, from our cottage and we spend a lot of time on that river each year. So, having that dry to work with next season will be a lot of fun for me.

By the way, is that a trout in the background getting ready to go for that Bomber!?! I sure hope so - because there aren't any Salmon left in the Royal River - LOL!

Last edited:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Im gonna tie a Red Abbey in #2 (a hairwing salmon fly)
only gotta get the stuff for the body and ill get into them

Joni that bomber looks great bet they take some time

Chris

Pocono

Reaction score
Hi Chris,

That sounds like a good pattern. The rusty brown squirrel wing will be interesting.

FYI - there are some conversions of classic Atlantic Salmon flies to New England streamer styles that are becoming popular with some of the fishermen up here in the Northeast; because they work well for catching fish. I'm not sure if this is what you have in mind, but here's a hairwing tie of the Red Abbey that might not be too far from what you're thinking about:

If you're generally interested in this type of conversion, then here's a link that might be of interest to you.

Atlantic Salmon Conversions - A Feature by Bob Skehan describing the conversion of Classic Atlantic Salmon patterns to New England Streamers - Global FlyFisher

Pocono

Im gonna tie a Red Abbey in #2 (a hairwing salmon fly)
only gotta get the stuff for the body and ill get into them

Joni that bomber looks great bet they take some time

Chris