Married Wing Salmon Fly Swap

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Thanks to s fontinalis for the suggestion.

This will be a salmon fly swap for flies with married wings. Because of the difficulty of tying these patterns we'll limit the swap to 6 tyers and put a due date of April 1, 2012

We can do additional salmon fly swaps (or any other swaps) if there's enough interest, just shoot me a PM and let me know what you'd like to see.

Note: Because of the time required to tie these complex patterns, this swap has a limit of 6 tyers

1. s fontinalis- Thunder and Lightning RECEIVED
2. Aroostockbasser - Nighthawk Variant
3. Wovenstonefly - Black Dog
4. Hardyreels RECEIVED
5. peregrines

Last edited:

peregrines

Reaction score
Great Brent you're in.

Note: limit changed to 7 tyers for this swap because of the time consuming nature of these patterns.

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
so... what's happening with this swap? is it still going to happen. I'll be running out of time to tie soon but will play as long as the number of tiers dont get too high. It's been about a month since anyone signed up so I cant help but think It will be a small swap.

I'll tie a black dog

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice looking fly there, Allen!

I like the way that you've got the hackle working in an upsweep against the upper GP crest feather; sort of a double complement; the upward GP tail with and the upward hackle.

Not sure if I can get fired up for this one or not; married wings are a lot of work. If it was kept to 4-6 members, then maybe I could make it work.

Pocono

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
Not sure if I can get fired up for this one or not; married wings are a lot of work. If it was kept to 4-6 members, then maybe I could make it work.

Pocono
I agree. If you join that would make 4. no one has joined in a month so were probably good.

Reaction score
limit is 7, there is currently 4. we can prob lock it down at that if we contact Mark and let him know. I suggested this swap, if everyone is agreed about the lock down i'll message him and tell him to close it at 4.

Thoughts?

wovenstonefly

Reaction score
limit is 7, there is currently 4. we can prob lock it down at that if we contact Mark and let him know. I suggested this swap, if everyone is agreed about the lock down i'll message him and tell him to close it at 4.

Thoughts?
now I feel like a jerk. If more want to join I'm game. What ever the swap bosses want to do is fine with me.

Pocono

Reaction score
OK, I'll take the heat on this number thing.

I don't want to come off like a prima donna because I'm not one, but I couldn't do more than 6 married wing Salmon flies; I just don't have the time. If you can stay with 4-6 then I'll join in. If you want more, then I'll understand. No hard feelings either way from my side.

Now, if you want to open it up a little to slip wing Salmon flies or to whole wing Salmon flies; not restricted to married wings, then I'm fine all the way up to a dozen, or more. Here are some past examples of whole wing flies taken from the Salmon Fly Tie-Along:

Pocono

peregrines

Reaction score
All- I've closed the swap out at 6 tyers- Pocono, Wovenstonefly Aroostookbasser and s fontinalis, Hardyreels you guys are in, and I'll jump in to make it an even 6.

For those interested, I'll also be running another salmon and steelhead fly swap for a wider range of patterns (hairwing, single slip whole featherwing, dee, spey styles etc) for 13 tyers. Look for it in a separate thread.

Last edited:

aroostookbasser

Reaction score
These flies are going to look great on my wall, in a frame .......matted and labelled.

I have about 7500 flies I have collected from swaps over the last 6 years. All are destined to be shadow boxed and on display.

Reaction score
Guys,
If everyone is cool with this, I'm going to change pattern to a somewhat simpler fly.
I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the Jock Scott in terms of getting things right for the swap. I can tie the fly, badly, and I don't want to send a badly tied fly for the swap. I know this is not in the spirit of swaps, where tyers of all skill levels are invited to participate, but I want to tie the best possible fly I can, primarily so I don't let myself down.
That said, I'm going to tie a thunder and lighting.

Hope this is ok.

Eunan

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That won't bother me, I had indicated when becoming a participant that I would be tying up a Dee wing pattern and not a married wing fly. I made that decision based on 2 criteria; it is easier to make but still elegant in appearance, and the pattern caught perhaps 50 - 60 fish last year. I use the T&L tied hair wing style for salmon and it is a good fly and catches fish.

Pocono

Reaction score
Fine with me!

Got me thinking about my own pattern. I'll tie a Blue Charm for this swap.

Pocono

Last edited:

Pocono

Reaction score
How about an extension to April 1st?

With sickness in the family, I had to drop out of the winged wet fly swap (my favorite patterns) and I can tell right now that I'll never make March 15th.

So, let me know what you think.

Pocono