Bob Clouser Pattern Swap, Spring 2012

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Thanks to Forrest ( Famill00) for suggesting this one--

This is a swap for patterns originated by Bob Clouser. Most fly fishers know his Clouser Deep Minnow pattern that's effective all over the world in both salt and fresh water for all kinds of game fish. But he actually came up with quite a few other effective patterns -- especially for smallmouth.

This swap is for any pattern originated by Bob Clouser (hopefully we'll get a variety of his patterns, including but not limited to Clouser Minnows.

Open to the first 13 tyers to say "I'm in", swappers will tie up 12 flies and get back 12 flies one from each of the other tyers.

Due Date for this one is April 15, 2012

1. Famill00 - Clouser Hellgrammite RECEIVED
2. Swirlchaser RECEIVED
3. Aroostookbasser - Swimming Nymph RECEIVED
4. Fire instructor - Black Nosed Dace "Clouser Minnow Style" RECEIVED
5. Monkeyboy Clouser RECEIVED

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Great, we're off to a good start-- let me know what Clouser pattern you plan to tie, so far we have the Deep Minnow and Hellgrammite.

Last edited:

fire instructor

Reaction score
In the interest of "full disclosure", as a newbie tyer, here's a photo of one of my "practice" Clouser's. The instructor that I learned it from calls it the "Black Nose Dace Clouser". This is the fly that I'll be tying for this swap.

The white on top, what will be the bottom when fished, doesn't show too well because of the white background. I REALLY need to invest the time in making a small light-box, if I'm going to keep photographing these flies....

Anyway, constructive criticism welcome, as always!

I may try adding just a touch of red yarn under the eye, for gills.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
i've tied nothing all winter long.:confused:

my old buddy Jay says the Clouser is pretty good in Alaska and why don't i tie some just to get started again

so what the heck.
i'm in.

may take an act of congress to get going again.:eek:

but i like tying Clouser minnows. got lots of stuff to tie them with.:D

O.K.
i'm in

buzz

the minnow in the picture above me is beautiful. not only a Clouser but classic tying at its best.
i would love to have a dozen of them for myself, maybe we can work something out.

just read your addendum , i use a little bit of red for gills also.

what is the wing material?

i'll probably use Caribou,
i'l have to go on you tube to figure out how to tie Clousers , i've forgotten how i used to do them
i know i used some mono bond thread i got from Thompson's, i think they no longer have any mono thread.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
hah hah, got em, all twelve of 'em.
man it was like writers block.
i just needed a jump start to get me going.

Saber sz.6 #7040 Streamer hook
my pal Jay says they are the sharpest hooks outta the box.

white deer hair top[belly] dark deer hair bottom, bead chain eyes
krystal flash/ultra hair mid.

old classic Danville's waxed mono cord straw color thread .

buzz

fire instructor

Reaction score
what is the wing material?
Thank you for the complement, but credit goes to the great instructors that I've had in my tying class! They switch-out every week, so we are learning individual skills from each. Each week, there is a lead tyer at each table, with usually with 5 or 6 students. Additionally, they have "floor walkers", who move around keeping an eye on the individual students, giving assistance and offering suggestion where needed. I'm VERY glad that I signed-up for this tying class!

As for my wing materials, it's a combination of white, black, and brown buck tail. Only the black is "stacked", as unstacked with the brown and white provides a mild taper top and bottom.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I'll be tying what I call a Crafty Clouser. I love fishing a half & half in the surf. When I tried to scale one down for LM I wasn't happy with the results so I came up with the Crafty Clouser. A 1/2 & 1/2 is half Deceiver and half Clouser. When I scaled it down for sweet water the small tail feathers didn't have enough action so I replaced them with craft fur.

This is what it looks like to the fish :)
[/IMG]

monkeyboy

Reaction score
i'm thinking about tying two dozen for the swap.:eek:

the practice will do me good , gives me a chance to experiment with some new/old stock Mustad hooks.:D

thanks peregrine:cool:

having an instructor is worth its weight in gold. stopped by a tying table one day at a "big store" with my grandkids in tow. thought the kids would enjoy it. i picked up several tips , i don't have a fishing buddy to critique my tying so i just keep doing things the same way, once i learn a technique i do it over and over.
consistent but not brilliant.

i'm basically isolated up here in Mudzoory so i'm without any outside influence except what i learn on the forum. thank goodness for the forum.

buzz.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
finished up my second dozen

O. Mustad & Son size 1 *4820
Mustad Kendal Kirby Hook turned down tapered eye 4X strong

heavy duty hooks, big wire

Danville's waxed mono , straw nylon finished off with mono bond painted black

deer hair upper and lower w/ gold Krystal flash and Polar Ultra Hair
red tag gold rib

gold bead chain eyes.

fire instructor

Reaction score
I knew that I would have some time to get started on mine, last night, so yesterday I went to THREE different fly shops in my area trying to find all the materials that I need. No problem getting the hooks I needed, but one shop (the one that I traveled 50+ miles to get to!) had a paper sign on the door that said "Closed for Vacation 'til March 1", and NEITHER of the other two had the lead eyes that I needed.... And I had verified the hours of the closed shop on their website before I left, and there was NO MENTION of the vacation....

So last night I finished my tying class homework flies (five Blue Wing Olives - Wet) and then started on my two-dozen flies (BH-PTN's) for the Brookie Swap, instead....

Tuesday, I have to drive to Just south of DC, so I may just route a bit west, and find myself needing a break from the long drive somewhere in the Hamburg, PA area....

"Oh, Look!!! A Cabela's!!! What a great place to take a break during a long drive!!!"

They should have the lead eyes that I need.....

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I knew that I would have some time to get started on mine, last night, so yesterday I went to THREE different fly shops in my area trying to find all the materials that I need. No problem getting the hooks I needed, but one shop (the one that I traveled 50+ miles to get to!) had a paper sign on the door that said "Closed for Vacation 'til March 1", and NEITHER of the other two had the lead eyes that I needed.... And I had verified the hours of the closed shop on their website before I left, and there was NO MENTION of the vacation....

So last night I finished my tying class homework flies (five Blue Wing Olives - Wet) and then started on my two-dozen flies (BH-PTN's) for the Brookie Swap, instead....

Tuesday, I have to drive to Just south of DC, so I may just route a bit west, and find myself needing a break from the long drive somewhere in the Hamburg, PA area....

"Oh, Look!!! A Cabela's!!! What a great place to take a break during a long drive!!!"

They should have the lead eyes that I need.....
Use bead chain for eyes. You can buy them at any hardware store. You can also cannibalize a lamp, blinds, keychain, dogtags... :D

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I just realized that by the time these flies arrive we will be be fishing the prespawn. They usually like big, gawdy flies during this time. If no one objects I'm going to scale up the fly a bit from the pick I posted.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
O.K. bead chain is good, especially BIG bead chain. :cool:
reminds me to get some next time i'm in the city, seems like they had some rainbow colored bead chain?:D

Cabela's is good especially because the others guys are out messing around instead of working the shop.

another swap is good because,uh i dunno, just because.:welcomean

man o man, if you want a big Clouser, i made 'em. size 1 Mustad 4820.
this has got to be the heaviest hook i've seen for its size.

all i gotta do now is ship 'em off to peregrine.

all good

buzz

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

i guess it's no secret Kaufmann's Streamborn closed up shop.

has there been a post about this news on the forum.?:confused:

let me know about it.

i had several of Randall's catalogs but years ago i needed to tidy up so i threw them out. bummer

buzz