Carrie Stevens Fly Swap, Spring 2012

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Thanks to Eunan (s fontinalis) for suggesting this one.

This is a specialized swap for Rangeley Maine style featherwing streamer patterns originated by Carrie Stevens (1882-1970) from Upper Dam, Maine. She originated over 150 different patterns including the Gray Ghost, Golden Witch, Orange Miller etc.

These streamers are quite beautiful and were originally designed for large brook trout and landlocked salmon

This swap is open to the first 13 tyers that say "I'm in", please include the name of the Carrie Steven's pattern you plan to tie.

Due date is April 18, 2012 just in time for ice out on Rangeley Lake, Maine :)

1. s fontinalis Shang's Favorite
2. Aroostookbasser - General MacArthur
3. Stl_geoff - Gray Ghost
4. drlaser - casa blanca
5. Gatortransplant
6. Peregrines- Supervisor

Last edited:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Yeah I want in on this one. No idea what to tie yet, give me a couple days to look thru some patterns and what material I have.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
If the numbers stay small, could be interested - will need to order a few items and see how the time goes. Lots of travel and talks between now and April 18th. Will see how big the numbers are, because this will be a new one for me.

Hugh

Put me down for Don's Delight

Last edited:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Ok im calling dibs on the Grey Ghost for my pattern. I might switch it up a small bit, but that pattern is calling me. Buying hooks tomorrow. Hopefully I dont have to pull too many feathers from my silver pheasant ;)

la_jolla1

Reaction score

First attempt ever, only had a 6x hook and my proportions are out - cheeks etc too far back.... but a start as long as I don't need 12 to the correct proportions

drlaser

Reaction score
I think I'll try a casa blanca I may have to back out though as school is approaching finals around that time and I switch to 40 hours a week after school is out.

Reaction score

First attempt ever, only had a 6x hook and my proportions are out - cheeks etc too far back.... but a start as long as I don't need 12 to the correct proportions
Nice. I think the wing it too long also. Typically they run just past the bend of the hook maybe a quarter hook length.
But for a first effort, which is one more than i've tied, its great. The head is nice and compact and i think i see a red band in there.

I dont think we're gonna have 12 swappers so all good.

Have you thought of constructing the wings as one piece and then tying them in - use some head cement or such on the stems to stick the feathers together in a layer. I'm sure are some better adhesives to use, but since i've never made a wing, nevermind tied a full streamer, i'm not 100% sure how its done myself.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
HI Eunan:
Yup, red band is there on the head. Misprinted the number so the tails flew back. Will resend.

followed a Davie McPhail video for grey ghost, the tying is really easy, just need to judge the wing length better and everything should scale

green floss body
silver mylar rib
2 white hackle feathers inside
2 silver badger feather outside to give a lateral line
Amherst pheasant chartreuese
Jungle cock
Touch of deercreek diamond-hard epoxy to the head

Will try again tonight

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
Nice. I think the wing it too long also. Typically they run just past the bend of the hook maybe a quarter hook length.
But for a first effort, which is one more than i've tied, its great. The head is nice and compact and i think i see a red band in there.

I dont think we're gonna have 12 swappers so all good.

Have you thought of constructing the wings as one piece and then tying them in - use some head cement or such on the stems to stick the feathers together in a layer. I'm sure are some better adhesives to use, but since i've never made a wing, nevermind tied a full streamer, i'm not 100% sure how its done myself.
I think the problem is more the hook is to short rather than the wing being to long alone. I do see the band, but they don't show up well in photos. The best adhesive I've found for assembling premade wings is fabric adhesive. It comes in a nice squeeze bottle so you can control the flow, dries clear and you can find it in any sewing place.

I like the fly you did there La Jolla.

Reaction score
it sure is a nice fly. As Dan pointed out, maybe an 8xl or 10xl hook would fit that wing better. Or combine a slightly smaller wing with a slight longer hook like an 8xl....

just some suggestions.

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Nice tying Hugh (la_jolla1)

Robert (drlaser) glad to have you in this one.

drlaser

Reaction score
Heres my fourth go at the fly (casa blanca) the first two got the razor. I am pretty happy with this one except the thread head is a little to large/ bulky.