Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Terrestrial Swap, Spring 2012

I think simple is ok as long as it does the job. I've seen all too many store bought flashy hoppers denied by nice fish.

I was debating whether or not to use an indicator post on my hopper, but the original that I made is without. I am going to go without. I'll tie a couple up tonight and post them to get people excited.

Instagram page @tblom77

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    I'm starting to think I may need to select a different pattern. My beetle is embarrassingly simple, though it has worked well for me.

My ant is very simple but it works great. To me it gives people a chance to try something they might overlook and learn how simple it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    I'm starting to think I may need to select a different pattern. My beetle is embarrassingly simple, though it has worked well for me.
    To me as well as many others it doesn't matter how simple The Pattern is it's another Pattern for us all as well,so it's good to see everyone in this one.

Also Mark My Pattern will be a Foam Beetle.
    Happy Tying
    Brian..
    Last edited by Liphookedau; 03-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Here's the other side of my box from tying this winter. Since Jan I've tied up 6 boxes of flies so far. Two boxes of mixed flies are going to be donated to TU banquets.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post
    So is mine, the JC nail is for the angler rather than the fish.
    It's a beautiful tie, but unless it lands up-side-down in the water, fish can't see that great wing-cover!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Here's the other side of my box from tying this winter. Since Jan I've tied up 6 boxes of flies so far. Two boxes of mixed flies are going to be donated to TU banquets.

Your ants look like a gorrilla-glue pattern. Is that accurate? I've got a recipe and SBS for them, but haven't yet tried a gorilla-glue ant....
    - Rick

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    My ant is very simple but it works great. To me it gives people a chance to try something they might overlook and learn how simple it could be.
    Completely agree, muddy. William, take in mind that all swaps are not for showcasing the best fly you can tie. We all like to swap sophisticated patterns.

But I love simple ties that always catch fish. Is there anything better than that?

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Completely agree, muddy. William, take in mind that all swaps are not for showcasing the best fly you can tie. We all like to swap sophisticated patterns.

But I love simple ties that always catch fish. Is there anything better than that?

I know that my ant pattern is gonna play center stage tomorrow if the Bluegills have warmed up enough for topwater action.

1.) It looks like a flying ant.

2.) It's very visible to the person fishing.

3.) It floats really well.

4.) If it get's hit and brings in a fish you don't have to do anything to it, just cast it back out and #1 - #3 still apply.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

That's what I love about the pattern, simple and easy to tie but caught a lot of fish.

Silver that's a great looking box-- you're in -- so we're back up to 15 swappers.

Willamhj-- simple is good!
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
    Brian & Mark (and others),

This is the foam beetle that I'm planning on doing.

Fat Head Beetle - Fly Pattern Instructions - Dennis Potter

I've also got a yellow hopper that I can/will do if we are short tyers, or if there are too many foam beetles. (I picked-up the materials that I was short for both patterns, yesterday!)
    Thanks for that Link a great Beetle a Pattern I'll use next Spring,hopefully I'll tie a few of my Pattern & post a pic.
    Brian.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast