Terrestrial Swap #1, Spring 2012

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Thanks to Brian (Liphookedau) for suggesting this one--

Summer is fast approaching and soon all kinds of creepy crawler landlubbers will be falling into the streams-- Ants and beetles are great patterns to have in your summer time fly box and drifting one along the bank or under overhanging tree branches is a good way to whistle up a fish or two during the summer when nothing is hatching. And sometimes they do the trick when trout are feeding on Tricos or other tiny stuff.

Ant, beetle, inch worm, hopper, cricket etc patterns are all fair game for this swap

Due date June 1, 2012

With 15 swappers if everyone ties up 14 flies you'll each get back 14 - one from each of the other tyers.

1. Liphookedau - Foam Beetle RECEIVED
2. La_jolla1 - McPhail Jungle Beetle RECEIVED
3. gatortransplant
4. willamhj- Foam Beetle RECEIVED
5. fire instructor - Fat Head Beetle RECEIVED
6. hooked1- Loran's Cicada RECEIVED
7. dean_mt - beetle RECEIVED
8. theboz - Speetle - RECEIVED
9. Mudbug - Foam Cracker Ant RECEIVED
10. kayo - Lady Bug RECEIVED
11. JoJer - Foam Hopper- RECEIVED
12. Futuramille- Green Oak Worm
13. Scooby Scott
14. tbblom - Canyon Hopper RECEIVED
15. Silver Creek- Hard Bodied Acrylic Ant RECEIVED

Last edited:

fire instructor

Reaction score
Re: Terrestrial Swap, Spring 2012

Mark, I'll tie either a Fat-head Beetle (foam) or a Gorrilla-Glue Ant.... I'll let you know. Either way, I need to pick-up some rubber leg material this week.....

fire instructor

Reaction score

Wife and I went and listened to the 90 minute pitch on why we should buy a time-share today..... NOT!!! But it gave me an excuse to drive through Eastern NY and Southwestern VT to check-out some streams, PLUS we just HAD to stop at the Orvis Mothership in Manchester, VT....

Ended-up the day with no time-share, got my $50 Home Depot Card, my 4 airline ticket vouchers, and the rubber legs I needed for this tie. Additionally, I found another small angling shop just up the road from Orvis, The Reel Angler (The Reel Angler - Manchester, Vermont - Fly Fishing & Bass Tackle Shop, Guide Service ), not "fly" only, but had a decent stock of flies and fly-fishing gear and very nice folks, and it was a nice day to just get away from the house and the chores accumulated.

Mark - Put me down for the Fat-Head Beetle. Fat Head Beetle Instructions Step by Step

JoJer

Reaction score

Hi All, I'll get in this one, too.
First impulse is a caterpillar, but don't hold me to that, I want to look around for more inspiration first.

scoobyscott

Reaction score

I would be up for this if you allow people from across the pond :eek: Probably a daddy longlegs

fire instructor

Reaction score

Mark - If someone from "across the pond" (ScoobyScott) wants to play, I'll even contribute to the necessary postage!!!

And BTW - I was looking on-line at some patterns and recipes, and since a couple of others have expressed interest in foam beetlles, I may change to something else.

Found a REAL neat grasshopper pattern that I want to try.... :D

tbblom

Reaction score

I have a black and brown, grey wing hopper that I could contribute to the swap. I call it the 'canyon hopper', after the dark hoppers in the canyons here.

scoobyscott

Reaction score

Thanks Rick nice offer but no need I'll cover my costs if I'm in:confused: the few pound will be worth it for some flies that you just can't get over here. Do you auction a set for charity? One last question, probably a bit daft do you get daddies over there? Don't want to tie flies that are no use:D

fire instructor

Reaction score

mudbug

Reaction score

Thanks Rick nice offer but no need I'll cover my costs if I'm in:confused: the few pound will be worth it for some flies that you just can't get over here. Do you auction a set for charity? One last question, probably a bit daft do you get daddies over there? Don't want to tie flies that are no use:D

Apparently there are 3 different bugs known as daddy long legs and we have all of them.

1.) The spider

2.) Something that looks kinda like a spider but it's not because the body is just one part.

3.) Something that we call a "Mosquito Hawk" around here, but others call them a "Crane Fly" or a Daddy Long Legs.

la_jolla1

Reaction score

Welcome to the US site!! Scoobyscott recently ran the klinkndink2 swap on the UK site, which was a great success (flies were outstanding).

Late summer, meadow stream, hay cutting, DLLs.

:welcomean

Hugh

scoobyscott

Reaction score

Thanks Hugh, you had a chance to wet any of the klink swap flies?
The Crane fly is the one I was thinking of although I much prefer mosquito hawk sounds feirce :icon_evil:D

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score

Excellent-- there was quite a response to this one including from some new folks to fly swaps-- rather than turn any one away how about we expanmd this to 15 swappers-- (normally the limit is 13).

If everyone ties up 14 flies instead of the usual 12, then each of the 15 swappers will get back 14 flies, one from each of the other tyers...

So mudbug, kayo, JoJer, Futuramille, stl_geoff, scoobyscott and tbblom you folks are all in.

I'll send PMs to all with my address

stl_geoff

Reaction score

Well I think im going to have to bow out of this one guys. looking at the due date plus other swaps Im and the fact I will have a new born at that time, Im not sure i'll be able to get em done.