Mayfly Drake Fly Swap

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
In many areas the hatches of big honking mayflies known as "drakes" are much anticipated. Some of these mayflies hatch in huge numbers over a wide range in their regions. Others are much more localized and more of a hit or miss thing.

Flie sof rthis swap can be nymphs emergers, duns or spinners-- whatever you have found to be most effective. The large size of the naturals have led to many creative patterns including wiggle-nymphs, and extended bodies-- so let your creative jusices flow.

Both traditional materials or new-fangled stuff like foam and other synthetics are fair game.

Because common names can be confusing and often differ widely for the same critter, I've attempted to include scientific names too here.

Mayflies commonly referred to as "Drakes" are typically at least a size 12 and some much larger ||||
Common Name | Scientific name | East | Midwest | West
(Eastern) Green Drakes (for the dun) and the Coffin Fly (for the spinner) | Ephemera guttulata | X | |
Western Green Drakes | Drunella grandis | | |X
Dark Green Drake | Litobrancha recurvata | X | X |
Brown Drakes | Ephemera simulans | X | X | X
Gray Drake | Siphlonurus quebecensis | X |X |
Gray Drake | Siphlonurus occidentalis | | | X
Yellow Drake | Ephemera varia | X| X |
Green Drake | Hexagenia rigida | X | X |
Golden Drake | Anthropotamanthus distinctus | X |
Big Slate Drake | Hexagenia atrocaudata | X | X |
Other mayflies also sometimes called "drakes" are eligible too ||||
Lesser Green Drake | Drunella flavlinea | | | X
Slate Drake | Isonychia sp. | X | X| X

Due Date June 1, 2012

Limited to 13 swappers-- tie up 12 flies and get 12 back (1 fly from each of the other swappers)

1. s fontinalis- Eastern Green Drake Cripple
2. gatortransplant AJ"s Svenska Fluga
3. Fire Instructor- Elk Hair Brown Drake and Dryer Sheet Drakes RECEIVED
4. Hooked1- Black Drake RECEIVED
5. Watson - AP Nymph RECEIVED
6. logic factory- Drake Emerger
7. famill00 - Clouser Green Drake RECEIVED
8. Liphookedau - Cream Mayfly RECEIVED
9. Popperfly - Green Drake Emerger RECEIVED
10. Tamster321 - Slate Drake RECEIVED
11. Danielp - Ephemera danica (a European drake mayfly similar to our eastern green drakes)12.

Last edited:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
I'd really like to try this one too... I may be overextending myself, but I really need to get into the dry-fly-tying game... So I'm in. I figure I should tie something to replicate the big mayfly hatches they have in Sweden.

Pattern TBD!

peregrines

Reaction score
Cool AJ. If you're looking for patterns I think the "Danica"mayfly (Ephemera danica) at about a size 12, is common big mayfly in Sweden (and much of Europe including Great Britain). Although a bit smaller than our eastern green drake, it looks to be quite similar in its nymph, dun, and spinner stages and is in the same mayfly genus (Ephemera).

You can find tons of patterns for it doing the google or come up with your own version

watson

Reaction score
If a A.P Nymph works for you guys I wouldn't mind in on this.
I know its not a straight up drake imitation or anything fancy, but it seems to do the trick.

logic_factory

Reaction score
ill share a pattern my father created; we call it a "drake emerger". it is very simple to tie effective enough that we do not have an alternative. it is tied on a heavier wire hook; e.g. nymph or streamer. the tail starts with a couple barbs(?) from the posterior vane, we generally use pheasant. we then tie in a section of foam; this foam will be pulled from tail all way to the head. then use the dubbing of your choice and dub all the way up to the head. pull the foam up to the head and tie it in and finish off the fly. there are only two segments; the large body and small head.
the fly sits low in the water and at an angle which lends its self some credit to being a food source; emerger.

i can add more details later as i am pressed for time right now.

peregrines

Reaction score
Great guys-- Hooked1, Watson and Logic Factory you're all in. I'll send a PM with my address and swap info to all.

peregrines

Reaction score
Brian (Liphookedau) sent me a PM and he's in too-- so you can look forward to adding an Australian mayfly to your box to cover unexpected hatches on your local stream :)

Reaction score
Mark, i'm gonna change my fly to an iso emerger...i have a great pattern works well on the east coast i found last year on line and only just remembered about it.

tamster321

Reaction score
I would like to be apart of this swap if there is room!! I don't know what I am tying yet but I will let you know!