Time for Another Fly Swap.............!!

Pocono

Reaction score
I talked to Ard the other day and thought it might make sense to follow the Nymph Swap with a Dry Fly Swap. When the nymphs start shedding their cases in the early Spring, the first hatches start coming off and you start seeing some good looking rises, it’s Dry Fly season for me.

Almost everyone’s got a favorite hatch in the Spring; or right on through the season. So how about a Dry Fly Swap to match your favorite hatch? Either the dry that matches your favorite hatch or the dry that you find most effective when your favorite hatch is coming off.

If we started now and let it run for 6 weeks, like the Nymph Swap, then we could set a due date after Christmas and be all done in time to get these flies in everyone’s hands just after New Years.

Having said that, tying up flies during the Holiday season can be a challenge; with Thanksgiving being just around the corner now. So, an alternative could be to let it run for 8 weeks and have a due date in mid-January. Worst case, we could start it up January 1st and have it finish up in mid-February. It all depends on what works best for the swap members. Let me know what you think when you sign up.

But assuming that everyone can handle the Holiday crunch, let’s say that we start now and set a due date of December 31st. Since dries take a little more time to tie up for most of us, let’s set a limit of 12 members; you’ll each get 11 flies back. Same on-time rules as for John’s Nymph Swap. I’ll PM my address to each of you after you sign up.

1. Hardyreels - Quill Gordon RECEIVED
2. Kerry Pitt - Olive Sedgehog RECEIVED
3. Fyshstykr - Buffalo Midge RECEIVED
4. lotech_joe - Royal Coachman RECEIVED
5. ghocevar - Yellow Sally RECEIVED
6. wt bash - Bivisable variant RECEIVED
7. mcnerney - Baetis Sparkle Dun RECEIVED
8. s fontinalis - Fan Wing Coachman RECEIVED
9. biggie_robs - Gray Doodle (Gray Fox) RECEIVED
10. Pocono - Elk Hair Caddis RECEIVED
11. Mudbug - Gray Duster Variant RECEIVED
12. williamhj - Brown Drake RECEIVED

Pocono (Allan)

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I need to get my groove back with the classic dries I'll get in on this swap on the ground floor. I will make the Quill Gordon in a size 14, where I always encountered this hatch they were a #14 so I hope that will work for the group.

Ard

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Ahhh hell, why not.....I've been trying to get back into tying for a while and this will get my rear in gear. I'll tie up some CDC Egg Laying Caddis, a great early season pattern on the Henry's Fork.:)

lotech_joe

Reaction score
You can sign me up for a size #10, hair wing, Royal Coachman. They are a great attractor pattern for the rivers in North Idaho. It will be good to get back into tying some dries.

Joni

Reaction score
I'm in Poc. Not sure with what but I will give it some thought

biggie_robs

Reaction score
I'm willing to get in on my first swap. My pattern would be a version of the Grey Fox, which I call the Grey Doodle. It's basically a Grey Fox with labradoodle dubbing instead of fox. :p

Pocono

Reaction score
Wow; looks like it's filling up fast! I'm going to hop in on this with an Elk Hair Cream Caddis.

Welcome:

Ard, Kerry, Fysh, lotech_joe, ghocevar, Joni, Larry, Eunan and biggie_robs!

Eunan - how did it go for you at the Fly Tying Expo this weekend?

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Welcome williamhj!

We're full. Thanks everyone!

I didn't hear any comments about the holiday season causing tying problems for any of you, so we'll stay with the December 31st due date.

I'll PM you all my address tomorrow.

Pocono

dean_mt

Reaction score
Well that filled up quickly! That took about an hour! Next time...

I'll keep an eye on this one, sounds like some good stuff.

Reaction score
Allan, i just posted an update on the symposium thread.

Just a reminder to all. Its best to send rigid box with your flies, as dries (particularly the fan-wing) will not be returned well in a baggie in an envelope....
I'm sure you all are aware, but just a wee reminder.

Reason i chose a fan wing is because i saw them again at the show this weekend and with my winter project being dries, i thought what better way to start than with one of the lesser tied versions!

mudbug

Reaction score
I may end up switching mine to a Quigley Cripple for a couple reasons.

1.) The only Golden badger I have is #22 and so far all I can find online is #20 and I want to tie these in 16 or more likely 18.

2.) I promised myself I would fish more cripples since friends of mine are doing very well with them.