Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  180
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Default Re: Time for Another Fly Swap.............!!

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    slow down a bit lads and lassies... i don't wanna be last one in...
    As mudbug said, don't worry, Eunan.......you won't be.

Picked up the last of my materials today (Christmas shopping, but had to make an "emergency" detour stop at my local Fly Shop - spent 2 hours in there talking fishing - but did actually do some Christmas shopping, too..............)

Pocono

Has anyone heard the story about the old bull and the young bull?

3. Likes imxer, wt bash liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    Nope, do tell...

Not sure I can(or dare) relay it by keyboard....but the moral of the story is easy does it, slow down and enjoy, don't be in such a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
    I only did 3 a day.
    The direction you take is less important than the steps you take to get there.
    Fish With A Friend
    Lotech Joe

Wow, I got a really nice set of a dozen Hairwing Royal Coachmen from Joe today. Nice tying Joe, they look great!

You're going to have to change your sign-in name, though..............there's nothing "lotech" about the way that you boxed those flies.

Essentially, he glued a piece of foam rubber to the bottom of an Altoids tin, toe-tagged each fly and pushed the points into the foam. Nice idea; particularly for dry flies.

They made it from Washington state without a mishap; every fly was in place and not a single hackle out of place. Nice!

I think it's a great way to ship flies. I'll try to post a pic of Joe's box tomorrow under natural light; the pics that I took tonight under flash are all too bright due to the reflection off the inside of the Altoids tin.

Pocono

8. Likes williamhj, Ard liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Wow, I got a really nice set of a dozen Hairwing Royal Coachmen from Joe today. Nice tying Joe, they look great!

You're going to have to change your sign-in name, though..............there's nothing "lotech" about the way that you boxed those flies.

Essentially, he glued a piece of foam rubber to the bottom of an Altoids tin, toe-tagged each fly and pushed the points into the foam. Nice idea; particularly for dry flies.

They made it from Washington state without a mishap; every fly was in place and not a single hackle out of place. Nice!

I think it's a great way to ship flies. I'll try to post a pic of Joe's box tomorrow under natural light; the pics that I took tonight under flash are all too bright due to the reflection off the inside of the Altoids tin.

Pocono
    The foam I used is high density sticky back foam. I cut smaller pieces to raise the flies off the base of the Altoids tin and then cut one side of the foam with pinking shears. Then with an exacto knife I cut slits in each of the valleys of the pinking cuts. It's a whole lot less expensive than C&R boxes.
    The direction you take is less important than the steps you take to get there.
    Fish With A Friend
    Lotech Joe

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Since I need to get my groove back with the classic dries I'll get in on this swap on the ground floor. I will make the Quill Gordon in a size 14, where I always encountered this hatch they were a #14 so I hope that will work for the group.

Ard
    I kind of regret not getting in on this swap. Things didn't go well enough this summer to be getting in on a swap. That being said, the fly Ard is doing is one of my favorite Catskill style dry flies. It's named after a guy named Theodre Gordon, or I think it is. Some guy named Gordon anyway. He was an important figure in bringing the dry fly to America. I like the way the Catskill dries are so sparse. Much different than the modern Western style dries like a Royal Wulff or something. Good choice of fly Ard.

You're right about Theodore Gordon, Dan. He brought the English chalk stream dry fly fishing to America and was the first to design his flies to match the hatch. Here's what Wiki has to say about him:

AOL Search

In the UK, Halford, among others, was one of the driving forces behind the development of the dry fly; which dates in the UK to about the middle 1800's. Here's a blurb on the development of the dry fly on the other side of the pond:

Fly Fishing History: The Dry Fly

I agree, Ard's choice is a great one and a tribute to the person who's observations and thinking, years ago, brought the dry fly to America.

Pocono

Here's a pic of the way that Joe boxed his flies:

With the description that he posted, plus this pic (not the greatest), you've got a pretty good idea how he did it.

Pocono

13. Likes noreaster liked this post
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast