Swaps for the New Year

dean_mt

Reaction score
Fly swap season underway! The Boz hosted a full nymph swap, that I believe is over and Pocono just initiated a basic dry fly swap that filled up in about as fast as the Pearl Jam concert sold out here last month!

I am in line to host the next swap, but we are going to continue to take it slowly. Once the Dry Fly swap closes (Dec. 31) it will be perfect time to kick it into gear.

I have a couple ideas for future swaps, but I wanted to start this thread as a place for tossing out ideas and/or requests for swaps, i.e. specific patterns, seasonal flies, specialty flies (under size 20, articulated, CDC emergers, etc), general patters, whatever. Then once we are underway, if an idea/suggestion/request strikes one of the host they can jump in and get it going.

Now this isn't meant to be a definitive list. Be aware that we are trying to avoid what happened with the swaps last year, when there were far too many running simultaneously and it just got out of hand. I guess I should say that by throwing a suggestion out, it is not a guarantee that the swap will occur, at least now right away. OK, disclaimer over, I think we all get it.

Let's hear some suggestions for swaps after the New Year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The running list of Swap requests (NOTE: This is only a list of requests, not a set list or order of swaps to come):
1. emergers
2. meaty streamers
3. dry flies
4 warm water flies

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
Not a swap per se, but might be nice to do a donation. Like a swap, everyone ties up a dozen then they are donated to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, or similar organization? If we wanted to do a swap with it, we could tie up 2 dozen, split up one as a swap and donate the other. Lot's of tying but could be a good way to amass a lot of flies for donation.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Not a swap per se, but might be nice to do a donation. Like a swap, everyone ties up a dozen then they are donated to Casting for Recovery, Project Healing Waters, or similar organization? If we wanted to do a swap with it, we could tie up 2 dozen, split up one as a swap and donate the other. Lot's of tying but could be a good way to amass a lot of flies for donation.
Nice idea William. I bet we could something get together, just forgo the swap aspect and donate. Does anyone work with any of these groups? I have a friend that has taken people out for Casting for Recovery, I could pick his brain. But if anyone here has personal connection, that would be great.

williamhj

Reaction score
Nice idea William. I bet we could something get together, just forgo the swap aspect and donate. Does anyone work with any of these groups? I have a friend that has taken people out for Casting for Recovery, I could pick his brain. But if anyone here has personal connection, that would be great.
I looked up the info when a family member was diagnosed, and found that Casting for Recovery accepts its flies at a central location and has a 'wish list' for flies. One option is to just tie up flies for fishing, another would be to assemble a dozen boxes, if 12 of us tie a dozen each.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm in man. I'll tie a dozen for the cause. Start a new thread, this is a great idea, thank you for bringing it to attention.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
John: I've been in contact with the gal that runs the Wyoming Casting for Recovery program. I had asked her about the possibility of helping with next year's program and she had mentioned the need for flies and that someone had donated six dozen flies to last year's program. I told her that I would do up some flies for her for the coming year. JP has told me that he would also be willing to tie up a dozen to donate, so there is some interest if you decide to go that route I can pass you her name and email address.
I also have been in contact with the Rocky Mountain coordinator for Project Healing Waters and can pass you his contact information as well if interested. He told me they can always use donated flies for their program as well.

Larry

L

Liphookedau

Larry,As I mentioned I will donate some Flies,at this stage I can give at least 2 dozen,if I have a chance I will Tie some more for this great cause.
Brian

hooked1

Reaction score
Hey DM,

Put me down for whatever you all decide.After the way Poc swap fill-up it looks like you need to preregister a good month in advance .LOL

Scott

Reaction score
since i'm very much in the traditionalist tying mode these days i'm gonna suggest (and not really expect many takers) winged wet, rangeley streamer and of course salmon fly swaps.

I understand there may be few if any takers. But i'm also willing to jump in on some other swaps that fit my liking (dry fly being one)

Eunan

newby

Reaction score
I would like to see a "Your favorite dry fly" swap. Where everyone ties up there favorite, go-to dry fly whether it be a traditional Catskill or a terrestrial. That would be a killer swap.

I would be willing to donate a dozen flies to casting for recovery if someone organized it. I only tie a dozen patterns or so well, but there is a killer terrestrial/caddis imitation that I could tie up in a few colors.

williamhj

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hijack the swap thread with the donation idea! I talked to Ard and perhaps we could do a donation to Casting for Recovery sometime in 2013.

I like the ideas for swaps already mentioned. I could be interested in a stonefly nymph swap or an extended body mayfly swap. Stonefly nymphs are pretty crazy looking and effective and I've been working on learning extended body flies with foam.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I didn't mean to hijack the swap thread with the donation idea! I talked to Ard and perhaps we could do a donation to Casting for Recovery sometime in 2013.

I like the ideas for swaps already mentioned. I could be interested in a stonefly nymph swap or an extended body mayfly swap. Stonefly nymphs are pretty crazy looking and effective and I've been working on learning extended body flies with foam.
No worries William, it was a good thought. I think we will be able put together a good donation of flies when the time comes. Let's wait till the new year and start a new thread.

Until then, lots of good ideas so far, thank you all. I am particularly interested in hearing specific ideas like the extended body foam, or stonefly nymph.

Myself, I was thinking about a Czech nymph swap. I just started reading Sly Nemes' "The Soft-Hackled Fly" from 1975 and now I'm liking that idea for a swap too.

I see a lot of tying in my future ... just what I like for the short days ahead.

Reaction score
whats the situation with new swaps coming up since the dry fly is almost completed.
Are we gonna start another swap?

There was mention of a midge swap a while back which i offered to host, seems pertinent to the time of year.

BUT!!
Lets set the deadline shorter than 4 weeks from the start date, seems there is a lot of interest in swaps again. Either that, or start a couple concurrent swaps.

Finally, i'd like to throw in the idea of a caddis pupa swap. Caddis pupa only.

Reaction score
I kinda like the emerger idea, emergers cover a pretty wide spectrum so we could have soft hackles, deep emergers, pupating caddis, surface film flies and so on.
my entomology isnt what it should be, i know winged wets, nymphs, dry flies, streamers and salmon flies. thats about it.:faint:

emergers it is!!