Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  116
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

Would something like this be of interest to the swop?
    Lead weighted, with a hot spot and lots of UV flash....

If not, back to the drawing board..... let me know....

2. Likes theboz, wt bash, mcnerney, dean_mt, sumojo liked this post

Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

It seems that these things are all the same with just some variation in color.

I'm gonna try something different.

Here's what I'm tying. I've decided to go with a #12 hook. It's what I have on hand and I want to get them done early. January might end up being a rather busy month for me.

Many of the patterns will be similar, but no less effective Look forward to filling up my weighted nymph box!
    - William

5. Likes wt bash, mcnerney, dean_mt, sumojo liked this post
  6. Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

Agreed - I am sticking with Dean_MT's theme: "Two or three materials is all one needs to make effective nymphs. What we don't want here are PT's, Copper Johns, Princes, etc. Just simple, heavy fish-catching nymphs that we can hopefully use this winter/early spring." Stuff that I know will get down there and get some attention.

they all look like Grubs to me.. but they do catch fish.

La jolla; you're bug looks great, man. Your's too, William. Both great looking Czech nymphs.

Mudbug, this is the theme and if you don't like or won't use this style of fly you certianly don't have to participate. Then again, the reason I left the theme open was so folks could do some experimenting and variants on the Czech nymph theme.

Like William said, it's an opportunity to fill hole your fly box. And learn some new patterns. And have some fun. And hopefully help catch some fish when the rivers thaw out...someday!

9. Likes littledavid123 liked this post

They may all be similiar , grub like but they are by no means the same. I was just skiming the Czech nymph website and there are a ton of diffrent ones. Variety of material and weights. I was impressed the way one nymph the bomber is made heavier to work the lighter nymph at a diffrent depth. Also the comparisons to real nymphs and how much they look like the real thing! Then there's some that look very plain and artificial but the Europeans call some of these there best patterns . Quite interesting!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

11. Likes kayo liked this post
  12. Default Re: 2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

Take a look at Jindra Lacko's page on danica.com (for a CZ perspective), or browse through Madjoni's postings here (for a view from Montenegro), or Lucian on the UK site (Transilvania) - these guys really know how to tie to catch fish. The hot spot looks like a gammarus shrimp to me, and I would never second guess Frank Sawyer's mastery of "killing" flies - he gave us the Killer Bug, the PTN and many others. That's why this is a fun swap, thanks Dean_MT for organizing!!

13. Likes kayo, sumojo, biggie_robs liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Mudbug, this is the theme and if you don't like or won't use this style of fly you certianly don't have to participate. Then again, the reason I left the theme open was so folks could do some experimenting and variants on the Czech nymph theme.

No, I wasn't grumbling, I'm fine with the subject of this swap and looking forward to what everyone ties.

I was just commenting that when I went to look up patterns, they are all very similar so of course I'm gonna tie the one fly I found that was different from the rest.

I'll keep researching.

15. Likes dean_mt, williamhj liked this post

Some Nice Looking Flies.
    I was going to join yesterday,I even had The Pattern Picked out as there were a few vacancies,however I had visitors & when I've just re-visited I found it Full to The Brim,this is The 2nd or 3rd I've missed,all I can say is Better Luck Next Time,hopefully.
    Brian.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast