2013 Swap #1: Czech-style nymph

dean_mt

Reaction score
I was going to wait till Jan. 1, 2013 to post the next swap but Pocono's dry fly swap is mailing out on Monday morning and since I've been laying around recovering from a bout with the holiday flu I'm bored!

Swap #1 of the New Year will be for Czech-style nymphs. Now you don't have to be a Czech nympher or need to know any special patterns to participate. What I am considering "Czech-style" are weighted nymphs in simple patterns. Two or three materials is all one needs to make effective nymphs. What we don't want here are PT's, Copper Johns, Princes, etc. Just simple, heavy fish-catching nymphs that we can hopefully use this winter/early spring.

DEADLINE is JANUARY 31, 2013.

Swap is open to 12 tyers (plus me!). Everyone ties 12 flies and gets 12 back.

Flies returned in container they are recieved in. SASE much appreciated, otherwise cash for return postage please. Please have a pattern chosen when signing up.

I will be contributing a green #12 tube body caddis larva.

Gittyup! And thanks for playing, John (aka dean)

1. dean_mt, #12 Electric Caddis Larva
2. sumojo, green Sledge Larva Nymph ---- RECEIVED
3. theboz, #12 S&D grub ---- RECEIVED
4. Liphookedau, ----RECEIVED
5. Kerry Pitt, Blue Light Special --- RECEIVED
6. wt_bash, #12 Walt's Worm ---- RECEIVED
7. ghocevar, "something real nice" ---RECEIVED
8. r reese, Razorback Variant ----- RECEIVED
9. mudbug --- RECEIVED
10. biggie robs, Caddis Nymph Pupa ala McPhail --- RECEIVED
11. williamhj, #14 Czech Nymph ---- RECEIVED
12. la_jolla1, Hotspot Czech Nymph --- RECEIVED
13. Kayo, olive Czech Nymph ---- RECEIVED

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
sumojo, you got it. Let me know what you plan to tie, please.

John-theboz, you're #3. (and I'm dying to know, is that you wrassling that tarpon?)

theboz

Reaction score
sumojo, you got it. Let me know what you plan to tie, please.

John-theboz, you're #3. (and I'm dying to know, is that you wrassling that tarpon?)
Nope I'm better looking( I think? ) . That's a stock photo. To lift a tarpon out of the water in Florida like that you need a $50
Keep(kill) tag. No reason to keep one all my pics of poons are in the water or on video so since that doesn't make much of an avatar I put the stock photo up! Maybe this year I'll jump in the water with one and get a picture like that ( long as the hammerheads are sleeping) .

dean_mt

Reaction score
Nope I'm better looking( I think? ) . That's a stock photo. To lift a tarpon out of the water in Florida like that you need a $50
Keep(kill) tag. No reason to keep one all my pics of poons are in the water or on video so since that doesn't make much of an avatar I put the stock photo up! Maybe this year I'll jump in the water with one and get a picture like that ( long as the hammerheads are sleeping) .
Well I love the pic. That is a monster fish! And I wonder who won that fight in the end...looks like those guys are about to go for a swim. High Side! :eek: High Side! :teef:

Pocono

Reaction score
Looks like you're off to a flying start, John!

Good choice of fly type for this swap; I don't think we've ever had a weighted nymph swap before (I could be wrong on that).

You're right, they should be great for early season trout fishing.

Pocono

wt bash

Reaction score
Agh why not I'll jump in with a Walt's Worm in 12, not a typical Czech nymph but a buggy bottom bouncer.

These are on 14s and unweighted to keep the gap clear but on a 12 I'll add a bunch of weight.

Last edited:
Reaction score
heres a little info about czech nymphs

all Czech nymphs adhere to a few simple principles:

They are heavy
They are slim
They sport some sort of shellback, usually darker in color than the abdomen
They are tied on a curved "grub" style hook

Hope this help some folks. I got it one global fly fisher site.

Eunan

---------- Post added at 01:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

BTW i'll tie an olive shell back.

r reese

Reaction score
Would love to be in, will tie my own pattern ,I call A bead head Razorback. (my version of a weighted crackleback, i fish as a numph)

dean_mt

Reaction score
Greg, you're in with something real nice!

Reese, you are welcome to join in as well. I don't want to be too much of a stickler, I'm sure your beadhead Razorback is a cool fly, but please think about your pattern and the theme. I want a "generally specific" (if there is such an oxymoron) type of nymph here, but also wanted to keep it open enough for those that don't tie specifically Czech nymphs. Take a look at what fontinalis posted just above you and then google Czech nymph. Maybe you can come up with a new variant of your Razorback, who knows maybe it will be a killer.

Eunan, thanks for posting those notes, those are good guidelines for everyone to consider, though they don't need to be stridently followed. Thanks.

r reese

Reaction score
Ok I will do that have A variant in mind that will be great we will call it the Razorback variant thanks

---------- Post added at 02:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Boys going to bench now cold and snowy

williamhj

Reaction score
ooh, this one is tempting. Got a lot going on this coming month, but if it doesn't fill up I'll jump in. There's a czech nymph I like tying.