Auburn University Fly Fishing Club Swap

fishingfly

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It has been a long summer for me and I haven't been able to post too much. However, a couple of guys in the club (and some followers) are interested in holding a fly swap. This is our first time and I am working on building interest in fly tying within the group, so I am looking for a few more people to add. So far I have 3 people interested so it will not be a large swap. We have not yet decided on a category, but the suggestion has been made for mouse. Please comment here or message me your info and I will sign you up!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Bumping to top to see if anyone else is interested in a swap, possibly a mouse pattern!

This article from the "Fly Fishing Yellowstone NP Blog" might get a few people interested in tying some mice patterns:
.. The mice have made babies. The ground squirrels have made babies. The voles have made babies. The hoppers are big and cranky. The nocturnal bugs are still around.
.. The days have been hot. The days have been bright. The streams are warm. The nights are cool. Some mornings are even more cool.
.. Both the fish and the mammals forage in the cool. The mice scurry. The hoppers are sluggish. The bugs are active. The ground squirrels are darting. The voles are scampering.

.. At the interface between darting, scurrying, scampering, and cool is the gobbler.
.. The gobbler has avoided activity through the warm and bright day.
.. The gobbler has ignored the miniscule tidbits of a spinner fall. The gobbler has been indifferent to the rising nymphs of the morning mayflies and the evening caddisflies.
.. The gobbler had a snack when a wayward hopper plopped in front of its panting maw as it worked to get oxygen-poor water through it's gills. It was not enough.

.. Very, very cold and very, very warm induce torpor in the gobbler. Cool and cold are where the action is. The nights are cool or occasionally cold.
.. This is action time and after a light and early dinner the fisher should be on the water fishing the shadows in the diminishing daylight.
.. Ignore the remaining caddisflies, prolific though they may be.
Fish a mouse or fish a bomber or rapidly strip a giant streamer on the surface. Bass poppers are great if they are large enough.
.. The gobbler has senses that we are oblivious to. They are large fish. They have well developed lateral lines. They use them to find prey and avoid danger.
.. If the fisher goes galumphing along the shore the gobbler will not rise to the commotion in the water.
.. The fisher must be quiet. The fisher must be sneaky. The fisher need not cast too far. The fisher need not see the fly. The gobbler need not see the fly. Make sure that the hook is sharp and the leader is strong.
.. Green grass is fading to yellow. It's time for mice.

fishingfly

Reaction score
Fly swap is on! I am sorry for the delayed response, I just moved and my computer went down. However, it is time. I have spoken with Wiked Flies Custom Tackle, who will also be tying with us. I am setting the due date as Sept. 30. I will message the following people with the details so that I can exchange addresses:

1. sfontinalis
2. mcnerney
3. theboz
4. fishingfly
5. Wiked Flies Custom Tackle

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds good, I'm headed over to Island Park to fish the Henry's Fork for a few days, when I get back I will start on the mice!

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Corbin: John and I are wondering what the status is on the mouse swap, we sent our mice in and never got a response back.

Larry

fishingfly

Reaction score
Wow! I apologize for the slow response, school has been murder this semester. All mice have been received (as of yesterday) and I am taking them to the post today.

theboz

Reaction score
Got my mice today ! Nice job by all ! Thanks to Auburn Fly Fishing Club and Corbin for hosting! Larry your mouse is so real from the bottom wanted to feed it some cheese! What did you use for fur?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Got my mice today ! Nice job by all ! Thanks to Auburn Fly Fishing Club and Corbin for hosting! Larry your mouse is so real from the bottom wanted to feed it some cheese! What did you use for fur?
John: Thanks, that is a pattern from Jack Gartside and uses Nutria fur, I picked up a couple pelts off EBay a few years ago for around $25 each, but look to get one with the long light colored guard hairs. Then I used one of those rotary cutters the quilters use and a straight edge to cut the fur into zonker style strips.

Corbin: Thanks for hosting the swap, I also received mine in the mail this week, very cool looking patterns!

Larry